Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
I don't know how they do it. But quite often i've received answers which didn't turn up in the listing. Possibly things have changed with the newer eBay messaging system.

I guess maybe if they're answering through their email account, and just hit "reply"??

bk

On my account, or at least up to last month when i was listing stuff, there is a box when you reply. It says "to add your response to the listing" or some such.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Guttersnipe said:
That western jacket is pretty cool, if the condition was better I bet it would've closed for a lot more. The sellers description is really funny, "could very well be a Nudie or Nathan Turk, but the label is missing" lol

As with vehicles, or other antiques, good or mint condition will bring a premium over the cost of repair. One is originality. But also, many people will not consider the cost of repair and simply subtract. Consciously or unconsciously, they want to get it for considerably less for their troubles.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
As with vehicles, or other antiques, good or mint condition will bring a premium over the cost of repair. One is originality. But also, many people will not consider the cost of repair and simply subtract. Consciously or unconsciously, they want to get it for considerably less for their troubles.

I wish that were always so of cars...in fact I really wish that were so of my car (see the avatar to the left) lol You're right about people tending to want stuff for less than the "going rate" less cost of repairs. Since I taught myself to do half-way decent reweaves a whole world of suits has opened up to me at pretty darn good prices!

Guttersnipe said:
I wish that were always so of cars...in fact I really wish that were so of my car (see the avatar to the left) lol You're right about people tending to want stuff for less than the "going rate" less cost of repairs. Since I taught myself to do half-way decent reweaves a whole world of suits has opened up to me at pretty darn good prices!

Let's see if I have this straight. You live close and know how to do reweaving repairs on suits. I am going to have to go over there some time. ;) :D

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
What about 2 moth holes and a torn lining would make it unwearable? I'd wear that like a shot.

bk

I can't wear stuff with holes and damage. Whoever wore it 50 years ago didn't wear it out like that, and I wouldn't wear modern clothes like that either.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Let's see if I have this straight. You live close and know how to do reweaving repairs on suits. I am going to have to go over there some time. ;) :D

The reweaves I do are by no means perfect or professional in quality, but they are passable - especially by what I call the "3 feet rule." I've tried, but I can't do finer gabardines...yet;)

I've read about and had explained the proper professional technique and adapted it to my skill level. I Either do an actual weave or, if I can get away with it, I use a historical style repair techniques (which you can checkout here and here). The concept is similar to a reweave in that you make the backing weave line up to that of the rest of the fabric.

If a moth hole is small enough you can actually get away with just using matching thread and no backing. This is the easiest way and is surprisingly easy (although I suppose it is a little ghetto by professional standards) but they actually look really good when done!

If you have any sewing abilities at all, you should take a stab at it. If I can do it, I'm sure anyone canlol

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
And to put the thread back on topic from my long aside

This lot of extra awesome vintage braces sold on eBay yesterday...I really wish I hadn't been out bid!

Screenshot2010-05-17at31151PM.png

Guttersnipe said:
The reweaves I do are by no means perfect or professional in quality, but they are passable - especially by what I call the "3 feet rule." I've tried, but I can't do finer gabardines...yet;)

I've read about and had explained the proper professional technique and adapted it to my skill level. I Either do an actual weave or, if I can get away with it, I use a historical style repair techniques (which you can checkout here and here). The concept is similar to a reweave in that you make the backing weave line up to that of the rest of the fabric.

If a moth hole is small enough you can actually get away with just using matching thread and no backing. This is the easiest way and is surprisingly easy (although I suppose it is a little ghetto by professional standards) but they actually look really good when done!

If you have any sewing abilities at all, you should take a stab at it. If I can do it, I'm sure anyone canlol

If yo can do it, then you have more sewing ability than I do. :p
How many suits can I bring over?:p

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Guttersnipe said:

I have only done a few reweaves with thicker thread tweeds. I did a pretty damn good job on them if I say so myself. But any finer than that, I will leave to you.

there is a corelary with cars and bikes though. A restoration someone put twenty grand into will often bring much less. So, rather than do a restoration, you can often buy one already done for less. That may not apply to older, but sixties bikes and cars tend to be this way.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I picked up this 1944 dated three-piece at what I consider to be a pretty great price. What's interesting is that it's a war-time piece, which I always thought were prohibited by rationing guidelines. I actually another war-time dated suit with a label from the same firm that doesn't correspond to rationing guidelines either...kinda makes you wonder!

What rationing guidelines do you think were broken/ignored? The suit looks pretty standard.

There are stories of British tailors ignoring the guidelines in innovative ways. For example, apparently cuffs were to be eliminated, so they "measured" the customer's leg at 3 inches longer than it was: "Whoops, we've made a mistake, so we might as well put cuffs on, as the little bits of fabric would be useless for anything else" …

bk

That's a great price for the black one. Pity I didn't see it. The linen one, I think he's asking a bit much for, to be honest. If it was vintage, it would easily get that price. But a repro - on eBay - won't regularly get such a price, nice though it may be. "Specially with the waistcoat "not quite right". Looks very "modern tailoring", as do the pleats on the trousers.

bk

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
What rationing guidelines do you think were broken/ignored? The suit looks pretty standard.

There are stories of British tailors ignoring the guidelines in innovative ways. For example, apparently cuffs were to be eliminated, so they "measured" the customer's leg at 3 inches longer than it was: "Whoops, we've made a mistake, so we might as well put cuffs on, as the little bits of fabric would be useless for anything else" …

bk

Because of the United State's comparative wealth, wartime rationing was never as extensive as it was in the UK. However, many items, though not officially rationed, were still hard to obtain due to limited production runs. There was also significant social pressure to be thrifty and avoid items that were not essential. Wearing clothes that used extra fabric, like belt-backs, baggy collegiate trousers, zoot suits, and three-pieces was considered frivolous, extravagant, selfish and even -- sometimes -- unpatriotic.

I've heard similar tales about the rules being bent too. What's interesting is I own another suit, that has a label from the same company, is also wartime dated, that also has 'taboo' features...I guess the English-American Tailoring Co., Inc. wasn't that keen on sacrificing style for wartime expediency!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925