Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I know it! Thank you! That's the precise reason why i pulled the trigger so incredibly quickly.

The vent strikes me as a weird detail though.

Rooster

Practically Family
Here again I'm no expert....BUT.......lol
I was watching King Kong again the other day and the guy leading the expidition had on a jacket cut just like yours. It had the vent in the back too, which really surprised me. King Kong was made in the early 30's, so I'd say your suit is accurate for that time period. The belly of the lapels looks right too.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
hoorayyyy! About the oxi clean, I have a huge tub of it for any cleaning necessary, but according to the seller the suit is lightweight wool...Can you save wool in oxi clean??

I would not have the guts to oxy-clean that suit.

The vent isn't too odd considering the sports-type back treatment.

A beauty! but with the typical problem of white vintage: Stains! Stains on white stuff are often very difficult to move. It's really small, too. pretty good price, though

bk

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
I don't think so. I would be inclined to trust him. Pretty much any other seller i'd ask, but this guy knows what he's talking about. 'pon further thought, i remember i've seen some early 60s trousers with those type pockets . . .

The only issue is that you'll have no recourse to send it back. You'll note he never said is was late 50s. just that the thought that was the best guess.

obviously without having the thing in my hands it's impossible to be definite.

bk

Not sure who the seller is. But if he is such a good and experienced seller, I find it hard to imagine him calling this suit fiftues. Unless it is an extremely odd suit and he has good reason to believe it is so.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
slicedbread said:
I'd VERY much appreciate any help dating this suit...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150139068539

I bought it on impulse upon seeing the great price for such a suit...On further review of it, I'm not exactly sure if it's a 30's suit...Opinions?[/QUOTE

You my friend got an extremly rare suit at a fantastic price. I can almost hear Baron and Ray gnashing their teeth and cursing you under their breat at this very moment.

I like palm beach, and linen but I like this fabric much better.

Wil it fit you?

You scoooooooorred.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:

A beauty! but with the typical problem of white vintage: Stains! Stains on white stuff are often very difficult to move. It's really small, too. pretty good price, though

bk

But the plus is with white you can use peroxide and sun to bleach if all else fails. On the other hand, be sure it is white and not cream or you will ruin it. Test a spot first.

reetpleat said:
Not sure who the seller is. But if he is such a good and experienced seller, I find it hard to imagine him calling this suit fiftues. Unless it is an extremely odd suit and he has good reason to believe it is so.

This is what troubles me. He is a very experienced vintage seller with many years in the trade. This makes me think he has good reason for saying it's 50s. But it worries me all the same. Everything about it is saying 80s to me.

bk

slicedbread

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
You my friend got an extremly rare suit at a fantastic price. I can almost hear Baron and Ray gnashing their teeth and cursing you under their breat at this very moment.

I like palm beach, and linen but I like this fabric much better.

Wil it fit you?

You scoooooooorred.

Haha...I watch ebay almost religiously nowadays when im not working. im a sponsored gamer so when im off work im gaming and when im gaming im constantly checking ebay...It pays off sometimes! I believe this suit will be a very slim, perfect fit or will be a tad too small, depending upon the accuracy of the measurements. Seeing how this suit is going to need some TLC, does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning and reweaving around dallas, texas?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:

bk

There is another recent thread this week about the success of Oxiclean.http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13791 They say no to wool. But your fabric is what exactly?

If the suit has no lining it should be able to be handwashed. Seek professional advice.

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
Nice linen suit, but too rich for my blood

Here's why I don't own a 30s linen suit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280129205885&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

DSC07693.JPG

$684

I've been saving the eBay pics of suits I like (this one particularly), but since I can't justify spending any more on suits for the time being, I can't bid, I can just use them as reference.

Rooster

Practically Family
YEOW! That's nice. :eusa_clap That's what I want Magnoli to make for me. Is it in a size that will fit you?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I like that jacket, Slicedbread.

It's cool because it has the styling of a good suit jacket but looks very casual and non-dressy. It's cool.

I just said cool twice... :D

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That khaki linen summer suit...

Saw that too! Went for a silly amount that was way out of my pocket. And I just know it would look much nicer on me than whoever won it!! ;) haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy