Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool New Phone!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I just got a new mobile phone. It is the Verizon VX6900....which is actually "The Touch" made by HTC. I am really happy with it so far.

xv6900-front-h4web.jpg

I love the new Windows Mobile 6 OS. It is a great update. A lot of the functions that I had to get third party apps for with Windows Mobile 5 such as zip and pdf files are now included.

Everything is better than my previous gadget....except the memory card slot. You have to pull the back off then jimmy a little panel. Now THAT is lame......but since I almost never pull the card on my phone, I can live with that.

Features

* EV–DO, 1X RTT Capable
* Windows Mobile® 6 Professional
* Microsoft® Office Word Mobile, Excel® Mobile, and PowerPoint® Mobile; Adobe® Reader® LE PDF viewer
* View, edit, create Word and Excel files; view only PowerPoint and PDF files; view, extract, create ZIP files
* Internet Explorer® Mobile
* Windows Media® Player 10
* Memory: 128MB RAM/256MB ROM
* Bluetooth® Wireless Technology (v2.0)
* 2.8" Display: 240x320 pixel; 64K color TFT
* TouchFLO® technology allows finger and stylus input
* 5–way ENTER/NAVIGATION button
* Virtual, all–touch QWERTY keyboard with additional input options
* 2.0 megapixel camera with auto–focus, zoom and video capture
* microSD™ memory support (up to 8GB)
* Voice command capable
* Speakerphone
* Security locking features
* Text, Picture and Video messaging (MMS)
* Wireless Sync capable
* ActiveSync® (v4.5) and Windows Mobile Device Center®
* BroadbandAccess Connect capable

Specifications

* Dimensions: 3.98" (H) x 2.35" (W) x 0.56" (D)
* Weight: 3.95 ounces
* Processor: MSM7500
* Standard Battery 1100 mAh Li–Ion: Usage Time: Up to 210 minutes OR Standby Time: Up to 250 hours
* Extended Battery 1880 mAh: Usage Time: Up to 360 minutes OR Standby Time: Up to 427 hours
* TTY enabled for the hearing impaired
* Hearing Aid Compatibility =M3
SAR Information: 1.250 W/kg at ear; 0.457 W/kg on body

Here it is mine with one of my employee's iPhone:
HTC_touch_vs_iphone.jpg

Apple has the perfect screen size. I will be glad when the market recognizes this. Another thing Apple has right is when looking at photos the iphone uses the whole screen:
HTC_touch_vs_iphone2.jpg

The advantages the 6900 has over the iPhone:

1) It has a file manager.

2) Microsoft Word. iphone has no word processor at all...though I think you can buy a third party one.

3) It syncs Microsoft Notes.

4) Excel.

5)...and this is a BIG one....I can manage files on this device on Windows Explorer like all I do I my other files. The iphone is not recognized and can only be managed through itunes.

I could go on but I just wanted to share an update on my search of the perfect phone. It doesn't exist yet....but it is getting close. My guess is within the next two years I will be there. Most likely my next phone will meet that goal.

vx6900.jpg

You gotta love it.;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh my goodness! I wouldn't know what to do with all those gadgets. I moan to my hubby that I just want a phone that I can call people with, receive calls from people, and have voice mail. And that's it! No fancy baubles.

Then again, I am woefully behind on all the latest technology. I have yet to convince myself that I need an iPod.

Josephine

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
Oh my goodness! I wouldn't know what to do with all those gadgets. I moan to my hubby that I just want a phone that I can call people with, receive calls from people, and have voice mail. And that's it! No fancy baubles.

I want a device that will combine my Palm Pilot with a phone. I thought the iPhone was the only option, looks like there is another. We have Verizon, but The Husband hates it. Though in his eyes picking a phone company is choosing between the lesser of two incompetents...

I don't have an iPod or the like either. :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
snazzy!!! i really like that one...

i wish t-mobile had a comparable phone. [huh]

One thing I miss about England (and Europe in general) was the cell phone service. When I decided I was finally going to get a cell phone I went to a phone store, picked out the phone I wanted, then picked out the company and service I wanted. They did that by using SIM cards, so phones weren't hard-wired to be used by specific companies.

Actually, whenever I start thinking about how bad we have it here in the states cell-phone-wise I get annoyed. I miss my BT-Cellnet phone; wish I had kept it. Could have, I suppose, but I didn't think anyone would be willing to dial a UK number to reach me!

Regards,
Tom

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I've been having a Touch for some months now, too, and I'm happy with it (except for the trifle annoyance that my Vista computer just won't synchronise, which was the main purpose I bought the phone for; seems to be a known problem, but this isn't a problem of this phone in particular). Mine's black, in a matt great-grip finish.

Much better than an iPhone for my needs, and smaller and lighter at that.

Stay tuned for a certain extra I'm working at…

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Glad to hear someone else is digging The Touch too. Sorry to hear of the Vista problem. I haven't heard much good with that OS. I sticking with XP until something better comes.

Back to the phone....now that I am a few days into this....I can say this is the best phone I have seen in years. I love this thing. I agree on the iphone statement. This far better for me too. I discovered the alternative touch screens that where you can have pictures of the people you call most to use for dialing. Yesterday I watched a movie trailer online. I am having fun exploring.

btw: this post was made on the gadget.

anon`

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
One thing I miss about England (and Europe in general) was the cell phone service. When I decided I was finally going to get a cell phone I went to a phone store, picked out the phone I wanted, then picked out the company and service I wanted. They did that by using SIM cards, so phones weren't hard-wired to be used by specific companies.

Actually, whenever I start thinking about how bad we have it here in the states cell-phone-wise I get annoyed. I miss my BT-Cellnet phone; wish I had kept it. Could have, I suppose, but I didn't think anyone would be willing to dial a UK number to reach me!

Regards,
Tom
You can do that in the US with the GSM carriers that operate here (T-Mobile and AT&T being the two major carriers), but it requires buying an unlocked phone, which you can only usually source from overseas from whence they come without shiny rebates. Fortunately for those that can float the cost, SE Asia has all kinds of really neat phones (I'm especially fond of those that run Linux).

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Gotta admit they are catching up to Apple... but Apple is coming out with a new iphone supposedly in 2 weeks so we'll just have to see how much further they have pushed the technology.

Congrats on the phone, I'll have to check it out at my local Verizon store.

Not bad...

I'm still a "physical keyboard with big buttons" guy, so I'm hoping someone'll hatch a phone like that with a mini-USB connector and some kind of flexible keyboard you can strap to an arm or tuck inside a jacket to fit it. A clip-onto-glasses "head-up display" would be nice too, but... lol

Signed,
shameless gadget-freak

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Oh, the Touch does have a mini-USB socket, one of the many things the iphone doesn't. But you can get a couple of cablefree bluetooth mini and midi-keyboards. (They don't work with the iphone, I think.)

And it's unfair that it's always about whether a phone is an "iphone killer" or the like, given that everything the iphone has was there before on Windows-Mobile phones and often enough even on proprietary ones such as Sony or Nokia, too. It's mainly a hip thing, and one that was blown up through advertisments at that. Not a bad phone, I suppose, but not worth the 1600+ bucks in my eyes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy