Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool or Ugly?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Just purchased a replica WWII frogman's watch on eBay. I love it, but my wife thinks it's kinda dorky. So I got to thinking... What vintage item do ya'll have in your collection that you like a whole lot but others remark: "What the hell were you thinking?"

DiverWatch.jpg

jake431

Practically Family
Nice watch. I have two A-11's and I always get asked if they are girls watches.

Basically everything to do with my hobbies elicits raised eyebrows, the only notable exceptions were my M-422a and my B-15b(mod). Otherwise, it's always a "huh?". A-2's are usually referred to as "dad jackets" by most of my friends. Basically, if it's leather, and it's not black, it's a dad jacket.

-Jake

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Cool and ugly! Neat stuff. It's cool in its own way. I wouldn't mind wearing that, although the chain would probably snag on my arm hair. I've got an A-11 and a similar-looking Benrus that my grandfather bought before WWII, wore all though the service and into his tenure at Lockheed as a laser physicist. I'm more of a fan of Hamilton tanks and Gruen Curvex designs, but the A-11 and related designs are great casual watches.

I've had friends laugh at my Korean era brown army boots...the exaggerated toes and high tops look funny to them. I laugh back, since they're great in the outdoors where most modern boots will ship water down the tops and get torn up. I've been all over the Oregon Coast Range with those boots, from shooting outdoors to exploring mines.

jake431

Practically Family
Oh yeah, I forgot about my Korean War army boots. Great winter items. They fit a little big, perfect for thick warm socks. Ugly, but cool indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner