Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool story..hats in the news

bombin

Familiar Face
1949: Hats aren't high brow

rduse1e.png

LIFE, 1949

from http://boingboing.net/2014/06/11/1949-chart-shows-difference-be.html

barrowjh

One Too Many
True. Growing up in the '50s in Birmingham, in Huntsville, AL, by 1958 at age 8, very few hats in my memory. We know from several sources that hat manufacturing volume had been falling for years in sharp contrast to growing population. Older men - grandparents - some of them still wore hats, and older ladies too - Sunday hats. I realize that things were different in other parts of the nation, such as the western states, but my memories are consistent with the above. Beer was definitely low-brow at that time, Schlitz, PBR. Budweiser was upper crust within the beer crowd. A hat-wearer that did not take off his hat in the restaurant - would be told that was the reason he was not being served. Hat culture was not fully dead yet, but it was pretty far down the road leading out.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I seem to fall in the upper middle-brow. I do currently wear military/hunting clothes along with my felt hat but, I think I get a pass for them not being camo. At least they're USA-made (and hopefully not in a sweatshop), which is more than even many self-classified highbrows can say about their clothes.

fedoracentric

Banned
that list would need a MAJOR makeover for today. note that all the clothing seems to include a jacket or suit coat. Today that is right out and everyone wears t-shirts no matter what level of society they inhabit.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't understand why an unwashed salad bowl was high brow in 1949. Much of the others seem to make sense, even though I like westerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80