Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corbin Blazer

filfoster

One Too Many
Need a new blazer, well probably 2, one for warm seasons, one for colder. I've looked at Southwick, HS&M Golden Trumpeter and O'Connell's (like the doeskin for cold weather).
Dann offers maybe too many choices but the Corbin ones seem like a good compromise between cost and quality.

Has anyone ever gotten one of these Corbin blazers?

It would be nice to get something of decent quality for a little less cash. Yes, I know, "Nice things cost money," but this economy isn't helping my clothing budget.

Last edited:

filfoster

One Too Many
:confused:

Anyway, have you considered J.Press?

Yes, Press is often mentioned on some other boards that I visited but seems to run third to Southwick and Brooks Brothers. US market Burberry and Hart Schaffner & Marx are said to all be made at the same factory and just 'ok'. There is some question of fused interfacing on the lesser grades of these, rather than full or partial canvas.

Do you like J. Press best/value?

I had not heard of this maker or Corbin before scouting some sites.

I will scout more for J. Press.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I mentioned Press because of your price-point and preference for natural shoulders. BTW, I think anything under 1k or so is going to be fused.

filfoster

One Too Many
I mentioned Press because of your price-point and preference for natural shoulders. BTW, I think anything under 1k or so is going to be fused.

Are the Southwicks fused? I thought I had read that they were canvas. I am becoming resigned to a $700 bill for this but hope that will at least buy something non-fused. I know 'fused' is not always bad and I am sure I have suits, perhaps even some Brooks that are fused but I also have some hideous 'bubbled' fused things in the back of the closet.
I can rationalize a fair amount spent by the idea that they will probably last the rest of my life, moths permitting, but I will not spend a grand on a jacket, even if someone famous had worn it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wait for the winter sale and get a 1000 dollar jacket for 500.
Yep, buying at the end of season sales is the way to go if you have the time to wait. I've also seen high end RTW (Oxxford, Brioni, Kiton,etc) going for 75% off on eBay.

filfoster

One Too Many
Yep, buying at the end of season sales is the way to go if you have the time to wait. I've also seen high end RTW (Oxxford, Brioni, Kiton,etc) going for 75% off on eBay.

This might be a good option for the winter weight. I can wait on that one but need a summer weight for a South Carolina event in October (U of SC senior- daughter #2's sorority dinner/dance/drunk).

I am afraid of ebay because of 'knock offs' sold as original label things.

You mention Oxxford and I am going to scout those too. They seem to be well-rated on some other forums.

Still, no one familiar with Corbin label jackets/suits? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Last edited:

filfoster

One Too Many

Thanks, not bad looking and certainly inexpensive. This compares with the Hilfiger ones available for similar cost.

I am resigned now to go to $500-$700 because I can amortize the cost over the rest of my life. That leaves Oxxford out of reach but Brooks 1818, Press and Southwick at the upper end. Still have yet to hear from anyone on the Corbin maker that Dann offers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner