Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy Fedoras

lci419

Familiar Face
What's the take on these? Has anyone seen one or have (non-catalog) pictures of them?

Sears Fall/Winter catalog 1940-41:

40-41a.jpg

40-41b.jpg

Sears Fall/Winter catalog 1942-43:

42-43a.jpg

42-43b.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have no interest. But my tastes are well known for being focused. I do remember my grandfather loving these types, though.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I am intrigued (I used to really like corduroy), but I am not sure I would call them fedoras. They seem to fit in the same category as Irish walking hats, and other sport hats like that. To me a fedora is felt (not necessarily fur felt, that is just the ones worth buying.)

lci419

Familiar Face
It has been my understanding for the last 40 odd years that a fedora is a style term, not a material choice. Theoretically, it could be made out of toilet paper if a person was so inclined. Now the material may determine the application it is put to; as the descriptions read, these are meant to be used in the "outdoors" (i.e. hunting, camping, hiking), not to the hottest night club in town. Just looking for alternatives to expand my hat collection.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Regardless of whether or not they are fedoras, I think you will be hard pressed to find them, at least vintage. Corduroy is not the sturdiest materiel, certainly nowhere near as tough as felt, and as you mentioned, these were work hats, beaters. You might be able to find modern ones that come pretty close to this style though. They make this kind of stingy brim, low crown hat out of anything.

Edit: If you are adventurous, you might be able to find a pattern and sew one yourself.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
What's the take on these? Has anyone seen one or have (non-catalog) pictures of them?

Sears Fall/Winter catalog 1940-41:

40-41b.jpg

Sears Fall/Winter catalog 1942-43:

42-43b.jpg

I kind of like these ones. When I was in high school, I bought a canvas-type work fedora from (I think) Sears that resembled these. There are corduroy fedoras being made today (a friend of mine has a cheap green one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24