Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costumes: Public Enemies vs "Dillinger" with Warren Oates

filfoster

One Too Many
Which has better (accurate) costumes? I watched "Dillinger" recently and thought the costuming was pretty good. Some of the 'extras', particularly the police, had ill-fitting visor hats, and what on earth are the 'gang' doing wearing straw boaters with winter overcoats? But on the whole, not bad.
Warren Oats had an big head start on Johnny Depp because of his physical resemblence to the real Dillinger. As one reviewer put it, Depp had to act; Oats just had to show up.

David V

A-List Customer
filfoster said:
Which has better (accurate) costumes? I watched "Dillinger" recently and thought the costuming was pretty good. Some of the 'extras', particularly the police, had ill-fitting visor hats, and what on earth are the 'gang' doing wearing straw boaters with winter overcoats? But on the whole, not bad.

The question that should be asked is why in the world are they wearing overcoats in the heat of a Chicago Summer?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Boaters.

Important to remember that boaters were very popular during those years. I have a few boaters and they don't really keep my head cool in summer months! lol

I liked Warren Oates "Dillinger" I watched it last weekend and enjoyed it! I found the costuming to be good for the 70s... and the only thing I had an issue with was some of the store displays in the background... right out of a 70s catalog! lol

Over Thanksgiving weekend I was in Tucson AZ, and we went to see the home Dillinger was arrested at! Also, visited the Congress Hotel where he stayed... it was fun; I took photos and will post them soon as I have a chance!

filfoster

One Too Many
'Tis the season..

David V said:
The question that should be asked is why in the world are they wearing overcoats in the heat of a Chicago Summer?
I tried to make sense of the scene by imagining it was summer and JD and his gang were wearing the overcoats to hide their 'heat' but the 'civilian' passersby were also bundled up. Maybe it was unseasonably cold that summer. I assumed (I know I will be corrected, suddenly and severely here in the Lounge) that boaters were like white trousers and shoes, summer attire worn only between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
We often regard the boater as a spring/summer type of hat, I know I have for a long time, but I have seen photos of boaters being worn outside of those seasons.

Since the boaters I own are on the heavy side and do very little breathing, I'm almost inclined to say that it could have been seen in cooler months but, to answer the question, do some digging on the locations and dates of some of his robberies and that may help decide what time of year it was, and if Hollywood made a mistake weather it was the boaters or the overcoats. I do know for a fact that they did wear boaters... Often! And that's what Hollywood today misses out on because they feel fedora's are "sexier" than a straw "barber shop" boater. :rolleyes:

I have a friend who is a Dillinger nut, I'll have to ask him some questions, I'll post the answers here.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran