Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cotton drill lining - a question to JanSolo and anyone else with the know-what

borisna

A-List Customer
first of all - Jan you should clear you inbox, can't send you PM :)

When talking to Mark at Aero USA about lining options he mentioned cotton drill only in black and brown, now i saw somewhere in the forum a pic of red drill lining, anyone knows what drill colours are there? pics will be very welcome

Last edited:

ando.thun

New in Town
Amanda wrote me, that they could provide black, brown and a very bright red cotton drill for the lining.

As soon as I grasp how to post pictures, I will add the pictures Amanda sent me to this thread.

The Aero Japan Homepage also shows a lot of pictures:

http://aeroleatherclothingjapan.com/item/bespoke

If you would like to have something special, mail to Amanda and ask about it. The customer support from Aero is fabulous. You could even get an original Harris Tweed lining on special order.

Windward

Practically Family
Is black thicker fabric

Drill comes in black, brown, bright red (and bottle green and dark blue) if I remember correctly.

WOW bottle green sounds great. I own jackets lined with black cotton drill and brown cotton drill but always find that black got a thicker and denser feeling - is it because of the black dye?? Any thoughts?

Doublegun

Practically Family
I ordered my LHB with the wool Common Ridding lining, which I wore for a year then returned it to Aero and ask them to replace the lining with the "bottle green" drill lining (which is more of an olive color). After wearing the re-lined jacket for a year I think the drill is a much more versatile lining which extends how early and late I can wear my jacket.

borisna

A-List Customer
Doublegun can you please post a pic of you jacket? I never saw this "bottle green" drill before

Windward

Practically Family
Doublegun - you wrote that the "bottle green" drill lining which is more of an olive color - would you say it look similiar to the B-10 gabardine cloth?

Here's one of my jacket lined with the B-10 gabardine cloth - is it similiar??

ODGreenlining-1.jpg

borisna

A-List Customer
just found another interesting option today : berry brown tartan made in cotton

345495483.jpg

does any one here have this tartan and can comment about it?

borisna
I had a HalfBelt that I purchased from Ebay that had a cotton tartan lining..although a different pattern than in your pic. It was fairly thin and the wear charactoristics sub par,IMO...so I sold it on.
The drill is very durable...although the way it is woven...has a tendancy to breath during the warmer weather. The black seems to be the heaviest..and brown the lightest weight. However..I had an Aero jacket with a darker brown cotton drill that was heavier than my other jacket with a lighter colored brown twill. Seems Aero must get 'batches'..or shipments that differ slightly...similar to their leather hides.
Shortly before I order my Stuart(in May)..I found out that Aero does offer a 'wine' colored Alcapa lining that Amanda said was their heaviest wool lining. I had never known that they offered that color. So they have more of a variety than usually shown. I changed my order from Blackwatch to 'wine' Alcapa immediately for my black vintage horse Stuart,since it better suits our Indiana winter...and I liked the combo.
I suggest contacting Amanda on the 1st...and asking about what they have on hand...and explaining just how versatile of a lining you are looking for. I think the red drill would look great..especially in a black jacket..very durable..and suitable for a warmer climate as well.
I've never seen the Gabardine lining in person. It may be another option with good wear charctoristics..as well as not too warm.
HD

Last edited:

borisna

A-List Customer
Thanks for the info HD
No more cotton tartan for me :), I ordered a brown FQHH HWM from Aero USA, and Mark told me they don't offer gabardine as lining anymore, so now I am left with only the drill as a good option for our Israeli weather
I think black drill will be good on brown leather for a bit of color contrast as oppose to brown on brown, I have seen the red drill on the HWM of oldcrow82 here, and it's a bit too bright for me.

P.S. Really looking forward to see your Stuart jacket, it seems to be quite a rare jacket, never seen a photo of one here

Last edited:
Would LOVE to see that wine Alpaca! Dang, another change before I submit tonight?

borisna
I had a HalfBelt that I purchased from Ebay that had a cotton tartan lining..although a different pattern than in your pic. It was fairly thin and the wear charactoristics sub par,IMO...so I sold it on.
The drill is very durable...although the way it is woven...has a tendancy to breath during the warmer weather. The black seems to be the heaviest..and brown the lightest weight. However..I had an Aero jacket with a darker brown cotton drill that was heavier than my other jacket with a lighter colored brown twill. Seems Aero must get 'batches'..or shipments that differ slightly...similar to their leather hides.
Shortly before I order my Stuart(in May)..I found out that Aero does offer a 'wine' colored Alcapa lining that Amanda said was their heaviest wool lining. I had never known that they offered that color. So they have more of a variety than usually shown. I changed my order from Blackwatch to 'wine' Alcapa immediately for my black vintage horse Stuart,since it better suits our Indiana winter...and I liked the combo.
I suggest contacting Amanda on the 1st...and asking about what they have on hand...and explaining just how versatile of a lining you are looking for. I think the red drill would look great..especially in a black jacket..very durable..and suitable for a warmer climate as well.
I've never seen the Gabardine lining in person. It may be another option with good wear charctoristics..as well as not too warm.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot