Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple of horsehide leather questions...

Navin323i said:
lol

I'm curious if you own a horsehide leather jacket since you own live horses. When I wore my jacket to work yesterday, I was hesitant to show it to a lady coworker of mine who I believe also owns horse(s) out of concerns of possibly offending her.

If you do own a horsehide leather jacket, is the smell the same as what you would smell on a live horse?
Not yet. I do own a few horse hair belts but have no qualms about horse hide leather at all, just as long as I know I never sat astride that animal. That would be a bit weird. Horses are noble animals but I feel their hides should be used. Don't need to get into the politics of the slaughter industry in the US & all that.
Females & horses is a whole other issue... :D ;)

Navin323i

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
I only have one Aero jacket; Highwayman size 44 in heavy steerhide with alpaca lining and it weighs an accurate 8.2 lbs.
BTW Navin, get your new jacket off the chair and put it on!
Regards.............coffee

Hey Coffee!

LOL... I was going to wear the Aero jacket today to work but decided to wear my vintage Irvin Foster leather jacket today out of concerns that it would feel neglected. lol

If you haven't seen my recent Irvin thread definitely check it out... it's finally all restored with new lining, main zipper replaced, and all stitchings fixed on the jacket exterior... so I can finally wear it now.

Navin323i

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Not yet. I do own a few horse hair belts but have no qualms about horse hide leather at all, just as long as I know I never sat astride that animal. That would be a bit weird. Horses are noble animals but I feel their hides should be used. Don't need to get into the politics of the slaughter industry in the US & all that.
Females & horses is a whole other issue... :D ;)

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Has anyone succeeded in canning the scent of fresh leather? If so I would keep a can on hand at all times. :)

lol I WISH!!!! :D

Either that or figure out a way to keep the horsehide scent equally strong as it is when you first receive the jacket. :)

too much coffee

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
Hey Coffee!

LOL... I was going to wear the Aero jacket today to work but decided to wear my vintage Irvin Foster leather jacket today out of concerns that it would feel neglected. lol

If you haven't seen my recent Irvin thread definitely check it out... it's finally all restored with new lining, main zipper replaced, and all stitchings fixed on the jacket exterior... so I can finally wear it now.

I understand........it's great to have choices! Yes your Irvin Foster came back wonderfully restored and looks terrific.
Will you break in your Aero naturally or hustle it along with misting, sleeping with it, doing pushups while wearing or utilizing other unorthodox methods?
Cheers, coffee!

Navin323i

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
I understand........it's great to have choices! Yes your Irvin Foster came back wonderfully restored and looks terrific.
Will you break in your Aero naturally or hustle it along with misting, sleeping with it, doing pushups while wearing or utilizing other unorthodox methods?
Cheers, coffee!

Prior to receiving the Aero I was planning on trying to "speed up" the breaking in process with the unorthodox methods you mentioned, but now that I have the jacket in hand and have experienced horsehide wearing first hand, I must say that I love the "cardboard" feel while wearing the horsehide jacket and I'll break this in slowly and naturally. :)

I have a lifetime now to wear this jacket and I'll enjoy the journey... someday I hope my Aero jacket will develop as good of a patina that my vintage Irvin jacket has now.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Navin323i said:
I don't believe I've ever owned a goathide jacket, though I know they're a popular choice for leather jackets in India. Glad you like the scent. :)

Is goathide stronger than horsehide? I know that horsehide is more naturally water resistant compared to cowhide due to the smaller follicles on the horsehide, but I don't know much about goathide.

I actually like HH too - I was a bit abrupt there. What I like about goat is it is so soft and tough - it's like lamb but wears like iron. It resists water better than just about anything else and it is also abrasion resistant. Some don't like it because it looks new for years. I think people debate the strength of goat over HH. I would say they are about the same. The toughest leather I've ever had is kangaroo. It is thin but dense and never wears out. I have had a kanga jacket for 16 years and it has been in rain and sun been camping, used as a seat on wet ground, left in my car's trunk for weeks in summer and it still looks straight from the shop. :)

BTW I love your jacket Navin. Original and terrific.

One of the Regulars
Hankh said:
Thanks, there's a guy in Springville Utah who makes great stuff using different kinds of Horween HH.

I really love your jacket in the picture.
If you don't mind can you share with us the contact info of that guy in Springville Utah?
He does an awesome job!
Thank you.

Hankh

Familiar Face
1087 said:
I really love your jacket in the picture.
If you don't mind can you share with us the contact info of that guy in Springville Utah?
He does an awesome job!
Thank you.

The jacket is an Eastman (ELC) in HH havana color.
I don't know if it's allowed to post his info over here.
Private message sent.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Navin, you should really get a quality hanger for your Aero jacket!

Something like this:

73713_1.jpg

It makes sure that the yoke and the collar retain their shape and the overall weight of the jacket gets evenly distributed over the fairly large surface of the hanger.
This particular hanger is quite expensive and is available from this place:

www.manufactum.de

But any dress jacket/suit comes with a wide hanger that is suitable for a heavy HH jacket. Don't, don't, don't put your Aeros or any other quality jacket on one of those wire hangers!!!

Navin323i

Practically Family
QTime said:
Hm, am I the only one thinking about the necessity of making eight posts in a row? [huh]

Sorry... was your comment in reference to me? If so then your comment is a bit unnecessary and a bit rude.

On other forums I belong to, there is a multiquote feature that allows you to multiquote and reply all in one post. Unfortunately this site doesn't have that feature.

Besides... this is my thread... if you don't like multiple posts in one thread then kindly don't reply and move on... no one is forcing you to read my thread.

The nerve of some people... :eusa_doh:

Navin323i

Practically Family
JanSolo said:

Something like this:

73713_1.jpg

It makes sure that the yoke and the collar retain their shape and the overall weight of the jacket gets evenly distributed over the fairly large surface of the hanger.

www.manufactum.de

But any dress jacket/suit comes with a wide hanger that is suitable for a heavy HH jacket. Don't, don't, don't put your Aeros or any other quality jacket on one of those wire hangers!!!

Thanks Jan! I do need to find a good hanger. I'm definitely not using a wire hanger for any of my jackets including the aero. I'm using a wooden hanger... I'll snap a pic later and post it here... maybe you can tell me if that hanger I'm using is ok or not.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
JanSolo said:

Something like this:

73713_1.jpg

www.manufactum.de

What are the dimensions of this hanger?

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy