Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple of horsehide leather questions...

Navin323i

Practically Family
How long should I expect my new FQHH Aero NYPD leather jacket to have that new horsehide smell?

Is there any way to preserve that smell so it stays that way longer? I'm addicted to that scent, though my 5 year old daughter can't stand the smell. :D

I can see now why many of you have several Aero jackets in your collections... wearing one now makes me understand how "addicting" these jackets are.

85 degree sunny weather here in Maryland and I've been wearing my Aero horsehide jacket all day... I'm sure people think I'm crazy but I don't feel hot at all wearing it, plus maybe the heat will help the jacket break in faster. :D

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It could take decades to disappear! I have an original near mint 1942 Perry A2 and it still has the distinctive hh smell.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
I remember when they first arrive the aroma (which I also love) fills whatever room you're in. This dies down after a couple of weeks, in my experience, but as Aswatland says, when you hold the leather close and take a deep breath that smell still seems to be there. My oldest Aero HH jacket is 6 years old and still smelly :D

apba1166

A-List Customer
I checked into a hotel recently wearing a 20-year-old HH A-2 and the clerk said, "Your jacket must be brand new, still has that new leather smell."

Hankh

Familiar Face
I prefer the smell of a dead horse above the smell of marijuana.
So far even though we just moved to Amsterdam my HH goodies keep my nose satisfied.;)
IMG_4992A1.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

Navin323i

Practically Family
JakeHolman said:
I remember when they first arrive the aroma (which I also love) fills whatever room you're in. This dies down after a couple of weeks, in my experience, but as Aswatland says, when you hold the leather close and take a deep breath that smell still seems to be there. My oldest Aero HH jacket is 6 years old and still smelly :D

Haha... smelly indeed. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
westinghouse said:
Every item of clothing in my closet next to my Aero smells like horsehide!

Haha! Nice... actually I haven't hung the jacket yet in my closet (I'm keeping it draped over a chair right now)... given the weight of the jacket I want to make sure it doesn't break the hanging bar in my closet. :D

Which reminds me... do all Aero FQHH jackets have a standardized weight to it? If so do any of you here know what that weight is?

I recall reading on other sites that various horsehides have different thickness and I can't recall what the Aero front quarter horsehide thickness actually is. I recall Schott horsehide jackets pad their leather with some other material so I assume Aero's horsehide is thicker than Schott's?

Navin323i

Practically Family
jacketquest said:
My 10 year old black FQHH Highwayman still smells pretty good. It's not strong but the wonderful leather scent is there. :)

Very cool. I'm so glad I asked you guys this question. I was concerned the horsehide scent would go away in a matter of days/weeks, similar to how the "new car scent" goes away rather quickly.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Ahhh,....the scent of new leather is intoxicating! :) Mine never seemed to retain it though for more than about a year. Maybe my sense of smell is not what it could be?

Sorry to hear that... hopefully it's not your sense of smell going bad.

Have you thought about maybe asking someone else to see if they can still smell the horsehide scent on your jacket? If they can't then you'll at least know that your sense of smell hasn't gone bad. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hankh said:
I prefer the smell of a dead horse above the smell of marijuana.
So far even though we just moved to Amsterdam my HH goodies keep my nose satisfied.;)
IMG_4992A1.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

Very impressive collection you have there! :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
horses.jpg

I like the smell of live horses, except for their constant bi-products! Haven't smelled weed in years... lol

lol

I'm curious if you own a horsehide leather jacket since you own live horses. When I wore my jacket to work yesterday, I was hesitant to show it to a lady coworker of mine who I believe also owns horse(s) out of concerns of possibly offending her.

If you do own a horsehide leather jacket, is the smell the same as what you would smell on a live horse?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I prefer goat - softer, ligher, stronger ;) ... but it too smells. My 10 year goat smells like roadkill - in a good way.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Seb Lucas said:
I prefer goat - softer, ligher, stronger ;) ... but it too smells. My 10 year goat smells like roadkill - in a good way.

I don't believe I've ever owned a goathide jacket, though I know they're a popular choice for leather jackets in India. Glad you like the scent. :)

Is goathide stronger than horsehide? I know that horsehide is more naturally water resistant compared to cowhide due to the smaller follicles on the horsehide, but I don't know much about goathide.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
Haha! Nice... actually I haven't hung the jacket yet in my closet (I'm keeping it draped over a chair right now)... given the weight of the jacket I want to make sure it doesn't break the hanging bar in my closet. :D

Which reminds me... do all Aero FQHH jackets have a standardized weight to it? If so do any of you here know what that weight is?

I recall reading on other sites that various horsehides have different thickness and I can't recall what the Aero front quarter horsehide thickness actually is. I recall Schott horsehide jackets pad their leather with some other material so I assume Aero's horsehide is thicker than Schott's?

I only have one Aero jacket; Highwayman size 44 in heavy steerhide with alpaca lining and it weighs an accurate 8.2 lbs.
BTW Navin, get your new jacket off the chair and put it on!
Regards.............coffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy