Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking the Holy Grail of Leather: In Quest of the Perfect Asymmetrical Jacket

domi8tor

New in Town
Greetings Fedora Lounge comrades!

I'm embarking on a quest for the perfect leather jacket and need your expert guidance. I'm in search of an asymmetrical jacket crafted from horsehide, boasting impeccable stitching, and most importantly, a leather that doesn't feel like I'm wearing a suit of armor.

My recent encounter with the Real McCoy J24 at Standard and Strange left me yearning for a softer touch. While my recent purchase of the Schott Shinki Japanese Cafe Racer pleased my senses with its velvety leather, the latest Shinki asymmetrical release doesn’t fully convince me due to how Schott’s falls short in the stitching department.

So, dear members, do any of you have the secret knowledge of a leather jacket that not only looks the part but also wraps me in a luxurious, supple leather? Your suggestions are eagerly awaited – let the leather odyssey begin!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What would really deliver what you’re talking about is something like Aero’s goatskin, which has a beautiful drape, a soft touch with substance.

Considering you checked out the J-24, I’d say you should look at an Aero J-106 or the slim version of it, if that’s what you prefer.

bolted

New in Town
Hi,
I too was directed to this emporium of members in its diversity and knowledge of leather apparel on a search similar to yours some six months ago. I’ve learned much by looking carefully.
Schott, Aero, etc. and a couple of the traditional well regarded names always lead the pack.

I learned the hard way some might say,
I’m not looking for grails any longer, but I like looking.
I also learned a lot about a life interest,.. leather goods.
Top grain, & full grain are advised long term.

It’s a rabbit hole -imo-, as with many of the rags to riches products. It’s also awash in counterfeits.
There are as many types* as there are finishes*.
Good luck!
Hope thats helpful. .

Attachments

• tempImagevLcalr.png
    tempImagevLcalr.png
    300.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Aloysius

Thank you for your suggestion, but for the j24 I really want horsehide

The only option I can think of that could give you that effect in horsehide would be the leather Aero calls ‘Jerky’ (a stupid name coined by a former dealer of theirs in the US, that conceals the fact that it’s a really beautiful leather in both color and temper).

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
While my recent purchase of the Schott Shinki Japanese Cafe Racer pleased my senses with its velvety leather,
Interesting that you describe the leather as velvety. I own a Shinki Schott 613 and I would describe the leather as stiff, much stiffer than Schott's standard horsehide. Half a year since I purchased it and it's still not broken in.

The Field Leathers Manhattan in pony leather might be an option for you but if you want one of those you'd have to be patient, it's not a jacket that's available OTR.

zebedee

One Too Many
Jerky horsehide. It's the most pliable, nicely-draping leather they have (that I've owned). It will show wear quickly and it will wear down to a russet base coat.

If you don't want the wearing-off effect, get black Vicenza. It's slightly stiffer, has a drier hand and similar grain to goat.
0CFECD4E-19A6-48D3-A34D-289672B87260.jpeg 1BC2C8BC-62D3-42A2-9872-8BE3909F1EB1.jpeg 327DF6EB-68E5-400B-90BF-EB4B525B5516.jpeg

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Greetings Fedora Lounge comrades!

I'm embarking on a quest for the perfect leather jacket and need your expert guidance. I'm in search of an asymmetrical jacket crafted from horsehide, boasting impeccable stitching, and most importantly, a leather that doesn't feel like I'm wearing a suit of armor.

My recent encounter with the Real McCoy J24 at Standard and Strange left me yearning for a softer touch. While my recent purchase of the Schott Shinki Japanese Cafe Racer pleased my senses with its velvety leather, the latest Shinki asymmetrical release doesn’t fully convince me due to how Schott’s falls short in the stitching department.

So, dear members, do any of you have the secret knowledge of a leather jacket that not only looks the part but also wraps me in a luxurious, supple leather? Your suggestions are eagerly awaited – let the leather odyssey begin!

Collect and keep on collecting. It will come to you in a few years which is the "one" for you.

MrProper

I like my Aero Slim fit motorcycle jacket in blackened brown Vicenza, which has since been given the model name Vincent.
If I didn't have it, I would buy it in the same way.

Is it a grail?
No, I don't believe in one grail ;)
If there is, then there are many.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
A velvety horsehide cross-zip with “velvety” leather.? Easy!

The Shop Vancouver offers the Y2 “Double Rider” in what they call “saddle-horse” leather. The jacket is super substantial yet feels so luxurious like you wouldn’t believe.

Construction and - if you care - stitching is en par with the somewhat outrageous price. If It helps: it’s a small shop, and the owner is a really nice guy.

https://theshopvancouver.com/collec...55-saddle-horse-d-pocket-double-riders-jacket

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
What comes to my mind with your post...The most velvety horse leather I had in my hands was the unfinished HH from Comipel.

Yes, a lot like that. Conipel has a more even structure, while the „saddle-horse“ leather Y2 uses has the typical stretch marks of some horsehide.

Temper and texture is very much alike with Conipel being a lot stiffer before break-in

MrProper

Not to p

I don’t want to put words in our new friends mouth, but I think he is probably passing through the “nothing but horse for me” phase of the journey. I spent a good while there myself and I’ve got the horsehide jackets to prove it!
+1

Aloysius

Yes, I like the Y2 leather, the Shinki pony, etc but even those are I think a bit too stiff for what he's looking for (given how he found the RMC). Vicenza too, for that matter. (I think we 'vets' are taking velvety to mean something different to what OP does. I think he means drape.)

I can see Aero Jerky getting closest among horsehides, though goat would really be ideal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner