Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Courage to Wear a Fedora

Corky

Practically Family
The question posed here is a simple one: do you want to live your life expressing your own personal sense of style, or do you want to go through life struggling to keep up with someone else's notion of what style should be.

A good rule to keep in mind is to dress conservatively (see any book on how to dress for success for details) and then add one item as your flourish. This item might be a fine fur fedora, a colorful scarf, or a Goodwear A-2, but it is the point of emphasis of your look for the day. Too many of these items can blur the focus of your overall look and reduce your wardrobe choices to looking like the costume of some Indiana Jones wannabe.

And if the visual impact of your personal style elicits a negative or demeaning response fron a jealous passerby, the correct response is: "Eat your heart out."

Mystic

Practically Family
When you get older you realize; People are just not as into you as you thought they were.....

The good thing about it is.......you really don't care either.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I taught middle school for many years. Nobody is more self-conscious than 8th graders on the first day of school. One year, I heard an older teacher give some of the best advice ever.

Teacher: Hey there, why are you so nervous?
Student: I look like a dork. Everyone will see me.
Teacher: Nobody will notice you. They've got other things on their minds.
Student: What?
Teacher: Honey, they are all too busy looking at themselves and worrying someone will notice how they look to even glance at you or anybody else.

I've been wearing a fedora since I was in middle school, so I guess I was an exception to all this worrying. Before that I wore other hats, particularly my dad's old Tyrolean he bought in Germany in the 1950s and cloth fishing hat. My 21st birthday gift to myself was a top hat. Now I've got quite a few nice ones (Optimo, Stetson, Akubra) and many "costume" styles (Imperial Chinese Official's Hat, propellor beanie, Mongolian hat, my own 1980s Tyrolean).

Wear your hats with pride and pleasure.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I found in my youth that I do me pretty damn good but I stink at doing fashionable, groovy, jock, ivy league, and a few others that are all not me.

Me likes hats and has since I was still in diapers. Me wears hats and is often happy that you don't.

As said here already (I think it has been said in this thread), you will not look good in your hat if you are scared of your hat (sort of paraphrased).
If you wear your hat like GOD himself commanded you to, then likely no one would notice you are naked while you wear your hat because you wear it so damn well they never lower their eyes to see what else you are or are not wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points