Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Bootmaker Dean Randolph

I run across some of his work ever now and then and have posted a pair or two I think. I'm sure he makes a fine quality boot and he has some personal touches that are appealing to many but so far I've seen nothing from him that would make me want to get in line for a pair. To my eye his boots don't have a profile I'm looking for, the heels always look a little too blocky for me but he does a nice toe. Another thing, I've never seen a pair w/o a spur ledge. Some makers use it to remedy accelerator burn on the heel counter but I don't want it on a pair I'm not using to ride.

Having said all that here is a pair of show boots I thought might be worth a look. I would have finished off the inside seam with another guitar mule ear as it throws off the balance to my eye but some unique work none the less. Lot of detail on the guitars. The profile and heel are pretty nice on these but they still have that damn spur ledge.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Bootmaker Dean Randolph

I run across some of his work ever now and then and have posted a pair or two I think. I'm sure he makes a fine quality boot and he has some personal touches that are appealing to many but so far I've seen nothing from him that would make me want to get in line for a pair. To my eye his boots don't have a profile I'm looking for, the heels always look a little too blocky for me but he does a nice toe. Another thing, I've never seen a pair w/o a spur ledge. Some makers use it to remedy accelerator burn on the heel counter but I don't want it on a pair I'm not using to ride.

Having said all that here is a pair of show boots I thought might be worth a look. I would have finished off the inside seam with another guitar mule ear as it throws off the balance to my eye but some unique work none the less. Lot of detail on the guitars. The profile and heel are pretty nice on these but they still have that damn spur ledge.
View attachment 172085 View attachment 172086 View attachment 172087
Yeah Greg, those are some Artsy boots, pretty to look at. Lot going on with em.
B

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
4EB48822-70DE-4D2F-A93B-681FCEFA4CA6.jpeg
Speaking of heel counter profiles. Here’s one.
I think this pair has what i call a sexy heel counter profile to my eye. Nos Stewart’s that are very comfortable. My other pair of Horse Hide Stewart’s have the same, all be they 35+yrs worn. They just seem to cup your heel which i really like. My Bonds and Lama Gold Label black pythons do the same. The Rays do too but are lots stiffer.
Just a rookie observation.
B

Horse Hide Stewart’s have the same

Those old Stewart's have the profile. One that I think is common with some of the SW makers, NM and AZ being some I'm most familiar with. Paul Bond's with a slight forward lean, in what I think of as an aggressive stance. My favorite look in a boot. A few TX bootmakers boot's have a similar profile.

B, you can look up listings for the most recent Stewart's and from pics it's obvious they're not the same boots as what you have.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hey Greg...i like that, “aggressive stance”. Def sounds more booty then sexy heel. Lol
And yes you are correct about the newer Stewart’s i’ve seen. Not quite the craftsmanship as of old. Think i copied some adds.
An aside: Richard Morgan (i believe) posted some NOS horse hides the spitting image of my old original ones. Had some discussion about how the top of the shaft was finished. I meant to post mine but they needed some Pecards and time got away.
Haven’t heard from him in many months, hats or boots, i sure hope he is ok.
B

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I gots aggressive stance with these custom 21" Austin-Hall's. Once upon a time these were my party boots. I could wear these tucked or untucked. If boots could talk!

View attachment 172216

View attachment 172217

View attachment 172218

View attachment 172219

View attachment 172220

View attachment 172221

View attachment 172222

View attachment 172223
Darn Jack!! Those are some seriously cool lookin boots! They look like they are partying 100mph just standing there!
I could see falling down a bunch back in the day in those! Lol
B

I've been trying to find some info on a boot I believe made by either Hyer or Olathe at one time called the "Sandhill" boot. I'm pretty sure it was one of these two mfgs. because when I read about it a long time ago it was a design created for the plains cowboys who complained about the grit and sand getting under their spur straps and wearing out the stitching where the vamp joins the shaft and if I remember correctly, it came out of Kansas. The boot is essentially a cowboy boot with a high vamp and heel counter and no stitching to the top until well above where the spur strap would rest.

I had found some catalog images before but didn't mark them and I've been unable to find it again. Lisa Sorrell makes an example of the style and it seems I read somewhere where she was talking about the style and where she got the idea but I can't find that either.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about from Lisa Sorrell.
IfWeMakeItThroughDecember.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I have a pair of Paul Bonds that resemble the black boots in the first pic

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 172137 Speaking of heel counter profiles. Here’s one.
I think this pair has what i call a sexy heel counter profile to my eye. Nos Stewart’s that are very comfortable. My other pair of Horse Hide Stewart’s have the same, all be they 35+yrs worn. They just seem to cup your heel which i really like. My Bonds and Lama Gold Label black pythons do the same. The Rays do too but are lots stiffer.
Just a rookie observation.
B
I like everything about those! The toes, the heels, the stitching and stove pipe tops! Checks all the boxes in my book.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
NBAR...New Boot Acquisition Report...

Took a chance on these on Ebay, no maker name listed. I take a 10D these are a 10E, but I was fast on the draw and they accepted my offer, $38 to my door. A bit dried out so there will be a substantial restoration going on for a while. The label inside is faded but I have been able to make out they are Blucher Boots of Beggs, OK.

I have wanted a pair of the PeeWee style inlays for a while now, I'm happy!

Anyone have any idea what the snap is for in the top of the boot on the left. No others in either boot, just that one, the snap is on the inside.

BlucherSm.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ