Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
very nice. Great colour. I'm very much intrigued by the look of Ostrich. Much like a gator effect, it has that really nice texture and look to it, more interesting than a plain look, yet somehow less 'fussy' than the stereotypical cowboy boot stitched detailing. I like something like that with a nice strap on it for some buckle detailing.

I actually also rather like the cowboy 'shoes' I see in some places. No idea when they first appeared - eighties, maybe? But they can look great with a quasi-Edwardian, slightly gothic look.
Ive been looking for these full quill ostrich for a while. Not even sure why i like them more than the smooth ostrich, more of a rustic feel i guess. I am very happy with Luccese Classics 12 D boots. This is my second pair. Any recommendations on shoe trees?

Edward

Bartender
The cowboy boot shoe has been around since at least the 40s or 50s. Like quite a few other things from that era, they had kind of a surge in popularity back in the 80s.

Thanks, I wondered if that was the case, but I couldn't find any earlier photos. They're a great look when a full boot isn't convenient. :)

Thanks, I wondered if that was the case, but I couldn't find any earlier photos. They're a great look when a full boot isn't convenient. :)

I remember seeing the boot shoe around for years but couldn’t put dates to it. There are contemporary boot makers that will custom build the style. It’s been years since I’ve seen any on the shelves at western stores.

This is an example made by Schwartz Custom Boots in MT.
931B5412-A9D8-452F-846A-21C6407BBA87.jpeg
1D2E20DC-5B0A-42EA-8396-1FFC9267AAA4.jpeg

This pair is from boot maker Lisa Sorrell.
D08A29A5-3D5B-42B4-8226-F5EF740A2FCB.jpeg

I know you spoke of an interest in a shorter boot as well but preferred one sans zipper. That’s difficult to come by. This is an example made by Ethos Custom Brands. They do have a zipper.
7F622E69-491D-418B-9630-69C99E648D01.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
I remember seeing the boot shoe around for years but couldn’t put dates to it. There are contemporary boot makers that will custom build the style. It’s been years since I’ve seen any on the shelves at western stores.

This is an example made by Schwartz Custom Boots in MT.
View attachment 318727 View attachment 318728
This pair is from boot maker Lisa Sorrell.
View attachment 318729
I know you spoke of an interest in a shorter boot as well but preferred one sans zipper. That’s difficult to come by. This is an example made by Ethos Custom Brands. They do have a zipper.
View attachment 318730

The first pair of shoes would be more likely to be something I'd wear, but the craftsmanship in the second is impressive indeed. I find it fascinating how they build up a design with the different leather pieces.

For travel, I think I might well end up with either a zip or an elasticated panel as on my original boots way back in 1992. Aesthetically I would prefer no zip, but considering the practicalities it may well be that it would be easier on/off, particularly after a long flight.

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
Dang it ... only a size 9. :(

Brings to mind a conundrum...a few times I've seen a pair of boots in my size that I definitely would have gone after, but they had the original owners initials. I've passed on some real stunners because of this.

I'm beginning to think that, since I never wear pants tucked, I shouldn't let that prevent me.

How do others feel?

Brings to mind a conundrum...a few times I've seen a pair of boots in my size that I definitely would have gone after, but they had the original owners initials. I've passed on some real stunners because of this.

I would assign another meaning to the initials. I was watching a real nice pair with the initials "JS", but they went too high. I would have just said the initials meant "Jessie's Son". :D

Edward

Bartender

I'm beginning to think that, since I never wear pants tucked, I shouldn't let that prevent me.

How do others feel?

Interesting thought. I'd agree if it'll never be seen that it shouldn't really matter.... though coming up with a good alternative would be fun too. For me, JS could be ascribed as "Joe Strummer" - me being a big Clash fan.

I've come across this sort of issue elsewhere, in particular I once bought a copy of a book by Roddy Doyle because it had been signed. It was dedicated to someone else who had pre-ordered it then never turned up to have the signature done. I did of course get a healthy reduction on the new price which helped!

Thanks, those are fantastic! There's a pair of shoes on there the wife would love especially.

YW. She covers all the social medial platforms and examples of her work are easy to find. She does as complicated stitching/inlay/overlay work to be found. Look for the pair she did for Arnold with the Austrian Coat of Arms. I think her base price for a pair of boots is $10K.

Just some plain 'ol black-label Tony Lama boots. First pair with this heel. I rationalized that I needed another pair of boots to keep at the farm. Yeah ... right. :rolleyes:

10041612417750DisG.JPG

From Nancie at Justin/TL/Nocona History Dept:

"In the 1984 TL price list I found style 5055 described as Autumn Veal (foot and top), 839 stitch pattern, J toe, 6L heel. MSRP at that time was $156.00."

I find that I'm a little wobbly on these heels ... :eek:

20210327_143824.jpg
20210328_092148.jpg

Un-dyed caiman.

Shout out and huge thank you to our buddy Che @seabass they were part of his massive collection he's selling off. Helped out a friend AND got some killer boots...a win/win situation.

They are marked El Dorado exclusively for Thieves Market, a southern California western wear chain that bankrupted and closed in the mid 90s. I did a little research on the maker...didnt come up with much except that the patent for the name was not renewed after the insolvency of Thieves Market and in the early 2000s was picked up by the company that makes Dan Post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana