Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Update:

I ended up selling the tan mad dog Lucchese 1883s whose picture I posted earlier in this thread. Why? Because I discovered something I liked even better, namely, Lucchese 1883 tan ranch hands, so I bought a pair of 'em:
$(KGrHqZ,!qQFC,oSE1fTBQtowWgRjg~~60_12.JPG

Unfortunately, the tan mad dogs never did look as appealing to me in person as they did in pictures. I also sold the chocolate mad dog Lucchese 1883s (also pictured previously in this thread), but that was only because I realized I didn't like the snip toe like I originally thought I would, so I've ordered another pair of chocolate mad dogs (but this time with a medium-round toe). I even sold the black ranch hand Lucchese Classics that I had previously mentioned in this thread because they just never fit me as well as I had hoped (probably because I hadn't paid close enough attention to the toe -- it was pointy, which I don't like anyway, but it also made the boot narrower -- next time I bid on boots on eBay I'll be sure to determine the toe style first). Anyway, I'm strongly considering replacing those boots (which were pre-worn) with a brand new pair of Lucchese Classics -- even leaning toward full-quill ostrich, which is something I never thought would appeal to me! More updates will be available as my boot collection grows, shrinks, or whatever (not that anyone cares :D ).

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Update:

I ended up selling the tan mad dog Lucchese 1883s whose picture I posted earlier in this thread. Why? Because I discovered something I liked even better, namely, Lucchese 1883 tan ranch hands, so I bought a pair of 'em:
$(KGrHqZ,!qQFC,oSE1fTBQtowWgRjg~~60_12.JPG

Unfortunately, the tan mad dogs never did look as appealing to me in person as they did in pictures. I also sold the chocolate mad dog Lucchese 1883s (also pictured previously in this thread), but that was only because I realized I didn't like the snip toe like I originally thought I would, so I've ordered another pair of chocolate mad dogs (but this time with a medium-round toe). I even sold the black ranch hand Lucchese Classics that I had previously mentioned in this thread because they just never fit me as well as I had hoped (probably because I hadn't paid close enough attention to the toe -- it was pointy, which I don't like anyway, but it also made the boot narrower -- next time I bid on boots on eBay I'll be sure to determine the toe style first). Anyway, I'm strongly considering replacing those boots (which were pre-worn) with a brand new pair of Lucchese Classics -- even leaning toward full-quill ostrich, which is something I never thought would appeal to me! More updates will be available as my boot collection grows, shrinks, or whatever (not that anyone cares :D ).

We all care,at least about your boots anyway(haha).If no one cared this thread wouldn't be here?

Doublegun

Practically Family
Found what appear to be a nice pair of used Rio's for $125 but I'm struggling with buying used boots. Still.....

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Thanks, DougC!

BRGordon, yes, they are extremely comfy. And I've gotten several compliments on them already. :D

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Found what appear to be a nice pair of used Rio's for $125 but I'm struggling with buying used boots. Still.....
I have bought some Justins and Nocona boots used on eBay and I was very pleased with getting name brand boots for about half price. I had to have a heel replaced on the Nocona boots but they look and feel really good.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Geez my cell phone did some rotten pictures this time! lol Some Vintage Cowboy Boots! LOL! These are NOS made in the 1980's, per original owner, was family purchase that never got worn! Did not have original box, will have to take some better pictures outside in the light. Brand name is Heritage.

TipTop

Practically Family

Geez my cell phone did some rotten pictures this time! lol Some Vintage Cowboy Boots! LOL! These are NOS made in the 1980's, per original owner, was family purchase that never got worn! Did not have original box, will have to take some better pictures outside in the light. Brand name is Heritage.

Looks like a nice find. Are those genuine wooden pegs in the sole instep? Seeing that stitching:

Let me pose a question for everyone: What do you think of bright white outsole stitching? It was popular in the 50s and seems to be creeping back into some lines (Lucchese Classics I have bought in past year).

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes, these have the wood pegs. I was amazed at how nice they are, condition wise, never worn boots like this are not easy for me to find in my size, and, actually this was another "gold mine" my dear Wife found for me! This is one of a few items that the mail carrier decided to take home and plunder. I am sure he did not want the cowboy boots, and they probably would not have fit him....but we have them here now, as of yesterday. I've been soaking in the conditioner for now, but later today I will be putting some polish on them and allowing the shine to be there a bit.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Looks like a nice find. Are those genuine wooden pegs in the sole instep? Seeing that stitching:

Let me pose a question for everyone: What do you think of bright white outsole stitching? It was popular in the 50s and seems to be creeping back into some lines (Lucchese Classics I have bought in past year).

Seems like it depends on the manufacturer. Most of the Rio's I have looked at have white stitching (and pegged soles).

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can imagine if the white stitching on boots, at least the white on the edge of the soles, meant anything to the owner to keep them as white as possible could be done. It would be a preference for who owned them to have to maybe tape off the white with masking tape before using black polish on the boots. It could be done, but not without some effort for sure, and then what would happen if the polish got on the white stitching no matter what? As for white stitching on any other part of a black boot, again up to the owner as to decide if they want to keep the stitching white...over...putting some good polish on the boots! You could try to avoid letting the polish get on the stitching but sounds like a "mission impossible" to me. Also most polish and wax is somewhat designed to help make your leather last longer, is a positive part of foot ware care. I have to put some polish on these new boots later today, and I will see what comes of avoiding the white stitching and if I happen to not be able to avoid polish on it, not going to cry over it for sure.

TipTop

Practically Family
I can imagine if the white stitching on boots, at least the white on the edge of the soles, meant anything to the owner to keep them as white as possible could be done.

Indeed, in the "old" days (50s 60s) one could have the white stitching BLEACHED as part of a boot polishing or rehab. Personally, I have stained (using sole dye/prep) mine back down on two pairs of Lucchese Classics; I just couldn't get used to seeing it down there, especially on the below pair of customs with double "running board" outsoles (now stained back to matching brown).

16325513-md.jpg

DougC

Practically Family
I'm with you TipTop-I have a pair of black smooth ostrich Justins that have two things I'm not happy with...first is the white stitching. Second is the undyed leather on top of the sole that the stitching goes through (the welt?). The rest of the sole and the heel are dyed brown/dark tan similar to yours but the white stitches and light colored leather are distracting. On a positive note a judge gave me an unsolicited compliment on the boots yesterday when we left the courthouse together. I'll get over it...the boots, the comment was ok by me!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
ML Leddy belly ostrich boots sold in the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards.

BD779E49-76E3-446D-BBB4-64A8BCD9F7EE-347-00000024996DFBF4.jpg

Black pin ostrich boots made by Felipe Ramirez in Dallas just before he died last year.

D049F5BD-2772-4CBE-B2FC-41DCB5E9837C-573-0000014CE67ED653.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
An ePrey Find!
Hey all, been a while, but I have been lying low on boots and traveling out west. This week, I stumbled on a pair of 12.5D J. B. Hill's in American Alligator tails (bison tops) that I just couldn't pass up. While I'm kind of shy about big plates/scales/hornback on my foot, these were "in scale" (pun intended") and very bespoke, so I shot him an offer and he accepted. They are in pristine condition and feel great, being worn all day, first day.

17374693-md.jpg

17374673-md.jpg

17374678-md.jpg

17374676-md.jpg

Last edited:

WineGuy

A-List Customer
An ePrey Find!
Hey all, been a while, but I have been lying low on boots and traveling out west. This week, I stumbled on a pair of 12.5D J. B. Hill's in American Alligator tails (bison tops) that I just couldn't pass up. While I'm kind of shy about big plates/scales on my foot, these were "in scale" (pun intended") and very bespoke, so I shot him an offer and he accepted. They are in pristine condition and feel great, being worn all day, first day.

17374693-md.jpg

Simply stunning boots! Wear them with pride...I can see the workmanship is top notch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace