Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

20230808_094119.jpg

Administrative meeting this morning so the Tony Lama black labels went to work today.

Probably about a US 11 or 11.5

Gotcha, thank you. Figured as much.

Such a shame they wouldn't fit me as they're perfect in every way...

Just a guess. If the inside of the shoe measures 12", then maybe a foot up to 11.5" would fit. It could be more like a size 12 or 13.

View attachment 538755
View attachment 538756

I learned the hard way that with cowboy boots, you gotta take the pointy tip into the account so 12" isn't to be taken at face value. Good inch and a half or is basically useless on pointy boots like that.
Without a size number, measurements like the ones in the listing are pretty much pointless.

Another thing; Is Ostrich leather durable/tough?

Have you tried tracing your foot and comparing those measurements against those of the boot?

Yep and while the numbers could technically work, I don't know how much of the insole length is eaten by the pointy tip.

But I really like what that maker does. I'll order a pair of my own. :)

Another thing; Is Ostrich leather durable/tough?

Yep and while the numbers could technically work, I don't know how much of the insole length is eaten by the pointy tip.

But I really like what that maker does. I'll order a pair of my own. :)
Ostrich leather is very tough and durable. Easily as tough as cowhide with some strength characteristics similar to kangaroo leather. I have two pairs, one full quill and the other smooth.

Remember, as the heel goes up the foot shortens and as you mentioned earlier; the general rule of thumb on a pointy boot is at least an inch to an inch and a half between the end of the boot and toes.

Ostrich leather is very tough and durable. Easily as tough as cowhide with some strength characteristics similar to kangaroo leather. I have two pairs, one full quill and the other smooth.

I have a pair of cowboy boots made from kangaroo leather and albeit on the thinner side, it's easily among my favorite of the collection. Good to know all this about ostrich! I definitely want to check it out.

Remember, as the heel goes up the foot shortens and as you mentioned earlier; the general rule of thumb on a pointy boot is at least an inch to an inch and a half between the end of the boot and toes.

Fantastic point that I haven't considered, about the height of heel shortening the foot! Hm, I wonder if I should perhaps then risk buying them. . .

I've asked Caboots about the blue Ostrich boots and just got a very detailed answer, should anyone be interested, as they would indeed be borderline too small for me. Sadly.

OSTRICH MOTORCYCLE BOOTS / Size: 11.5 / Width: D / Gender: Mens / Height: 14 inches / Toe: Peso 5/8 inch / Heel: 5 - 2 1/4 inches / Scallop: Double Dip / Vamp Color: Royal Blue Ostrich / Top Color: Navy Blue 5751 / Yes - full quill ostrich harness / Sole Type: Vibram Tractor / Top Type: I want leather top w/ stitch i chose above

Fifty150

One Too Many
Without a size number, measurements like the ones in the listing are pretty much pointless.

I agree.

The worst part is that manufacturers have different lasts. And the shoe size will vary. There is no real standard. Everyone has seen those foot measurement devices at shoe stores. But manufacturers do not use that foot measurement device as a guide. My personal experience has been that, depending on the shoe, I could go up and down a size in either direction.

Here's a picture of one of my boots, with a ruler next to it for a reference point. And it has zero calibration with the foot size device.

PSX_20230810_212350 (2).jpg

Is Ostrich leather durable/tough?

I don't know. My ostrich boots feel buttery soft. My girlfriend at the time thought that I was crazy for buying those boots. And even crazier for adding Vibram lug soles to the boots when they were new. In her mind,, leather soles were found on fine footwear. It was like a luxury item. In her mind, cheap shoes and sneakers had rubber soles. Adding rubber "sole savers" to leather soles is an old habit. It's a personal preference. I want traction. According to my ex, gentlemen wore good shoes on carpeted floors; they don't put lug soles on the shoes to go hiking. I had news for her. These are cowboy boots. I didn't want to slip on the bar room floor. I'm not wearing them with a top hat and tails.

PSX_20230810_223909.jpg

PSX_20230810_223810.jpg

PSX_20230810_223558.jpg

Attachments

• Scale-Comparison-Chart.pdf
    190 KB · Views: 42
I agree.

The worst part is that manufacturers have different lasts. And the shoe size will vary. There is no real standard. Everyone has seen those foot measurement devices at shoe stores. But manufacturers do not use that foot measurement device as a guide. My personal experience has been that, depending on the shoe, I could go up and down a size in either direction.

Here's a picture of one of my boots, with a ruler next to it for a reference point. And it has zero calibration with the foot size device.

View attachment 539068

I don't know. My ostrich boots feel buttery soft. My girlfriend at the time thought that I was crazy for buying those boots. And even crazier for adding Vibram lug soles to the boots when they were new. In her mind,, leather soles were found on fine footwear. It was like a luxury item. In her mind, cheap shoes and sneakers had rubber soles. Adding rubber "sole savers" to leather soles is an old habit. It's a personal preference. I want traction. According to my ex, gentlemen wore good shoes on carpeted floors; they don't put lug soles on the shoes to go hiking. I had news for her. These are cowboy boots. I didn't want to slip on the bar room floor. I'm not wearing them with a top hat and tails.

View attachment 539069

View attachment 539070

View attachment 539071

These are nice! I always add rubber protector things, sole savers to all of my boots as I walk a lot. I do a lot of walking. As in, I don't have a car and I don't drive kind of walking so leather soles aren't an option for me. I've lasted a week without them until I got the soles so chewed through that they needed saving prior to having protectors added. I do want a pair of cowboy boots with lug soles, just never got around to installing them yet. I got a pair of cheap cowboy boots on the way so might as well do it on them.

20230815_153515.jpg

Tuesdays are meeting day, so the Los Altos caimans made the trip to work today. They ended up climbing around a boiler room dealing with a pump that stopped pumping. There was some discussion awhile back about the work-worthiness of caiman. Probably not the best choice, simply because of what it costs (and cowboy boots are not very good for climbing pipes, period) but so far it has held up amazingly well in conditions like this.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
These are nice! I always add rubber protector things, sole savers to all of my boots as I walk a lot. I do a lot of walking. As in, I don't have a car and I don't drive kind of walking so leather soles aren't an option for me. I've lasted a week without them until I got the soles so chewed through that they needed saving prior to having protectors added. I do want a pair of cowboy boots with lug soles, just never got around to installing them yet. I got a pair of cheap cowboy boots on the way so might as well do it on them.
I have these

they’re like walking in gym shoes

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Rios of mercedes sizing question:
i wear a 10 in Lucchese. Trying to determine my rios size. anyone own both and willing to make a comparrison?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner