Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Botas tribaleras are the footwear of choice of fans of tribal music, a sort of Mexican electronic/house music that's a mishmash of folk music and techno.

Last edited:

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'm needing a pair of boots for a costume in a few months, so I took a chance and made a lowball offer on a pair on the 'bay. I was shocked that the buyer accepted. Leather upper, leather lined, leather overlays, soles in decent shape, and already broken-in. They were really dusty and scuffed, but for $20 I think I got a really good deal.

Before cleaning:
Boots Before Shot.jpg

After some TLC
Boots  After Shot.jpg

I know, not the best pics, but the best I can manage this late in the day after a long day at work.

Decent looking boots, Strapped. But costume? I may be offended, or maybe not. Should've called, Dale or I would've lended you a pair.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Decent looking boots, Strapped. But costume? I may be offended, or maybe not. Should've called, Dale or I would've lended you a pair.

We're attending a steampunk convention with a western theme, and I need boots for an outfit to go along with my wife's dress. She's planning to wear a more formal dress, so I needed something a bit nicer than the well-worn boots I already own. I've got plenty of stuff to put together a grungy steampunk look but very little western wear, so - costume. No offense intended.

If I can manage to find a black frock coat and a brocade waistcoat to complement the dress I think she'll be happy with the result. Might even have to get a new hat. :)

Strapped, as Joao said, you can't go wrong for $20. You couldn't offend me unless you stepped on my boots. :eek: I just did a quick eBay search and was surprised at the number of frock coats listed and some pretty close to the price range of your boots. And if a new hat comes out of it, well done.

Last edited:
These came in yesterday from a seller in San Angelo, TX. Mystery boots with no maker listed or any markings or labeling in the tops. Look barely worn and whoever made them did a pretty good job with the pegging and channel stitching. Kind of unusual that they have a pig skin lining. I only have one other pair of boots with that.
CIMG0699.JPG CIMG0700.JPG CIMG0701.JPG CIMG0702.JPG

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have been checking out ebay a lot this week, I can't afford to buy new, but its a little scary to pull the trigger on boots that you have never worn, I know my shoe size, but cowboy boots are a whole different animal

Bob, Joao, thanks guys.

Matt, you didn't say anything. I think Joao was referring to PM's he and I have been having. The best way to buy, $ wise is online. That's why I said to first go to a B & M store to try some on and then look for something similar online.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'm no expert, but have owned a few. Just like other shoe styles, each manufacturer will have a "fit" based on the lasts they use, so for a given size some will fit bigger or smaller than others. As I've gotten older I've found that any significant heel height reduces my ability to wear a boot for an extended period of time. However, I've also learned to buy them between a half and a full size too big so I can add arch supports, which allows me to wear them comfortably for a much longer time than without the supports.

This last purchase was a total guess on my end since I've never owned Durangos before. Nothing over the top, but they turned out to be some decent boots that fit me very well after I slipped in the arch supports. I'm not trading my shoes or sneakers for the boots, but they're comfortable enough for me to wear them around town or at the office for a day with no problem. It's kind of a bonus that someone did the breaking-in for me.

Matt and Joao, if you can get lucky enough to snag a pair in what you know is your size *at a really good price*, it might be worth giving them a try. The advice given above by Bamaboots is sound, though. If you can find a store to try a few pairs on and get a feel for the way they fit, you'll have a much better idea what size you need to be looking for in a given brand.

How the **** did I miss these this morning?? Great find, Bama! Those look real nice. Pigskin and no label would make me guess Leone. They look pretty top shelf from here. The one piece vamp is, I guess, more common with ostrich than many other exotics, but is still a good sign of quality.

Strapped those $20 boots look sharp. I'm real partial to the wingtips, if you couldn't tell from some of my past posts.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Matt, you didn't say anything. I think Joao was referring to PM's he and I have been having. The best way to buy, $ wise is online. That's why I said to first go to a B & M store to try some on and then look for something similar online.
Matt and Joao, if you can get lucky enough to snag a pair in what you know is your size *at a really good price*, it might be worth giving them a try. The advice given above by Bamaboots is sound, though. If you can find a store to try a few pairs on and get a feel for the way they fit, you'll have a much better idea what size you need to be looking for in a given brand.
I could do it but no western stores here.

In general, you'll wear a little smaller size in cowboy boot than in other shoes. Every brand/pair is different, so it's not hard and fast rule, but as a guideline expect to go down a half size or even a full size.
That I learned from hats. Clothing and shoes/boots goes by the same rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo