Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Those look good, Bama! I really like the pull straps, and the way it's reflected in the stitching. Plus there's a whole lot to be said for the low maintenance of nu-buck.

Thanks, Dale. They are kinda brush and go. With all the black boots I have, these are getting very little feet time. They may head to the auction block soon.

I'm on a roll. Scored another pair of vintage ACME peewees.
04f8850cc164e2b83a8ebae9b222ae78.jpg

5f6e13c053a93782a375f649415e4c1b.jpg

Thanks to Jon Roberts, the original owner, maybe? for helping nail down the approximate age of these.
16c00e037d48b70cc2acbe778b654ad3.jpg

These particular boots don't have any stitching of any kind on the vamp. I guess what's up top was enough.

I felt good about buying these, as they were amazingly cheap, and the brown pair I just got was amazingly not. When I average what I spent on both pairs it comes out to a more reasonable price for each.

Thanks Bama, Joao, and Bob!

Bamaboots, thanks for the background info. These things are either the most immaculately well cared for boots ever or they've been professionally rebuilt at some point in the recent past. I am amazed at the shape they're in.

Bob, to answer your question, these are a full size larger than I normally wear, and they fit pretty well. I learned from past experience with vintage boots to shoot a little high.

Teach...are you looking to buy new or vintage? EBay and etsy are good sources for vintage, and probably where you'll find the best prices. There's vintage dealers aplenty, but most times they know what they've got and are charging for it. I've scored some brand new boots off ebay before, too, for real reasonable prices. Also Sheplers usually has a decent selection of new boots and always is having a sale, and I've gotten the best prices from a site called bootbay.com. They have a massive selection of not just cowboy boots but motorcycle, hunting, and work boots as well, and they have a good return policy if the boots don't fit.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Bama, Joao, and Bob!

Bamaboots, thanks for the background info. These things are either the most immaculately well cared for boots ever or they've been professionally rebuilt at some point in the recent past. I am amazed at the shape they're in.

Bob, to answer your question, these are a full size larger than I normally wear, and they fit pretty well. I learned from past experience with vintage boots to shoot a little high.

Teach...are you looking to buy new or vintage? EBay and etsy are good sources for vintage, and probably where you'll find the best prices. There's vintage dealers aplenty, but most times they know what they've got and are charging for it. I've scored some brand new boots off ebay before, too, for real reasonable prices. Also Sheplers usually has a decent selection of new boots and always is having a sale, and I've gotten the best prices from a site called bootbay.com. They have a massive selection of not just cowboy boots but motorcycle, hunting, and work boots as well, and they have a good return policy if the boots don't fit.

I don't own any and have been doing research about which styles I would want etc. Which would you say is the best style for a person who is on their feet 10 plus hours a day but not really hard work? I am constantly up and about but obviously in the classroom.

Matt, the best advice I can give you is go to a brick and mortar store and look at the different styles, makers and leather choices and find what you're comfortable with and what fits well. Nothing too tight or too loose. A cowboy boot that fits will have a little slippage in the heel when new and that will leave when the boot becomes broken in.

The second consideration is probably budget. There is hardly a limit on what can be spent. I would look for something that is all leather, save for the heel caps and made in the US. As for comfort, a good fitting boot will wear as well as your best fitting dress shoes or other boots. I have boots with wide round toes to narrow box toes and heels from 1 1/4" to 2 1/2". All of them in my rotation I can wear all day. Hope this helps. Oh, and if you have the scratch, consider custom.

Question; I was in a Mexican dry goods store just south of Portland....Woodburn, in the Hispanic part of town...in this store they sold men's boots with freakishly long pointy toes. Some of the boot toes curled over the top, bending back to the leg. I thought myself worldly but never in my life have I ever seen anything like this except perhaps on slippers in an Aladdin movie. Do these actually get worn in public? Has anyone ever seen a guy wearing such boots?

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Matt, the best advice I can give you is go to a brick and mortar store and look at the different styles, makers and leather choices and find what you're comfortable with and what fits well. Nothing too tight or too loose. A cowboy boot that fits will have a little slippage in the heel when new and that will leave when the boot becomes broken in.

The second consideration is probably budget. There is hardly a limit on what can be spent. I would look for something that is all leather, save for the heel caps and made in the US. As for comfort, a good fitting boot will wear as well as your best fitting dress shoes or other boots. I have boots with wide round toes to narrow box toes and heels from 1 1/4" to 2 1/2". All of them in my rotation I can wear all day. Hope this helps. Oh, and if you have the scratch, consider custom.

I guess what I was asking was should I look at traditional cowboy, ropers, stockmen or western work? All of these terms I am mostly clueless on lol

Matt, I'm a fan of what I think of as a traditional cowboy boot, though I'm not certain exactly what that is. In my mind I guess it is a boot with a heel of at least 1 3/4", under slung with a boot height of at least 12" and a toe box as one would like. I'm not a fan of ropers, though many are. The other styles you mention, though I've heard all the terms, I'm not certain what they are. If I wear a cowboy boot, I guess I want it be obvious to the casual observer, that is what they are. Enter "cowboy boots " into the eBay search engine and you will get over 300,000 responses. I bet you can find a style amongst them that appeals to you. If you haven't already, look through the photos in this thread and you'll see many diffent styles.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Question; I was in a Mexican dry goods store just south of Portland....Woodburn, in the Hispanic part of town...in this store they sold men's boots with freakishly long pointy toes. Some of the boot toes curled over the top, bending back to the leg. I thought myself worldly but never in my life have I ever seen anything like this except perhaps on slippers in an Aladdin movie. Do these actually get worn in public? Has anyone ever seen a guy wearing such boots?

I've never seen this kind of boot near me but some one already posted in this thread some extreme pointy boots. I think it's just for the show, not to daily wear.

You obviously aren't hanging out in the right neighborhoods, amigo.....
https://youtu.be/3dvkHRws_60

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo