Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I got these Bullhide Apache Ropers recently of the bay for £25, described as being reheeled and with some scuffs, on arriving I realised I didn't quite like the colour scheme and poilshed them up in tan puposely putting less on the tops to keep the two tone effect, condition wise I think it's the original heel and wear is absolutely minimum asfort scuffs etc there were hardly any...I think the seller was being picky with them, they are very comfortable and whilst not a true 'cowboy' boot (though probably more likely to be closer to the actual cowbots working boots?
I wore 'rigger' boots for about 16 years in my previous job and I think they are like a smarter slighly closer fitting rigger boot if I am honest.
fyeliq.jpg
16kwfnk.jpg
34zn40k.jpg
34h8fpx.jpg
2u4k8xt.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
Hi All, I've been hanging out over in the Hats department (mostly western) and just discovered this page. I sorta collect boots, have maybe 15+ pairs, ranging from calf to alligator, with croc, stingray, elephant, lizard and cordovan, tooled, in between. I'll toss up one of my favs for starters. Most are Lucchese, but also I am fond of J.B. Hill, Tres Outlaws, Littles, Old Gringos, Rios of Mercedes, Liberty, Trickers for motorcycling. I have met (and been measured by several) owners when visiting ElPaso: Dr. Hill, Pedro Munoz (Stallion), Nevena at RocketBuster and Frank at the Lucchese retail store. I have some vintage (70s and 80s) models too.

Only issue with wearing them is that I live in upstate New York, and we get a lot of snow here (normally) and I won't wear them without rubbers, which I am not really fond of.

I'd be glad to answer any Qs you have about the brands I mentioned. I can also post websites if they aren't here already.
15263978-lg.jpg

Lucchese Classics Sueded (really matte finish) Caimen Ultra-Belly crocodile in chocolate #6 toe #4 heel; corded, burnished goat tops. Very soft and comfortable. I'm a high-instep and arch and wear 12 D or E in Lucchese. 12.5 in Hill, Stallion.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
I got these Bullhide Apache Ropers recently of the bay for £25, described as being reheeled and with some scuffs, on arriving I realised I didn't quite like the colour scheme and poilshed them up in tan puposely putting less on the tops to keep the two tone effect, condition wise I think it's the original heel and wear is absolutely minimum asfort scuffs etc there were hardly any...I think the seller was being picky with them, they are very comfortable and whilst not a true 'cowboy' boot (though probably more likely to be closer to the actual cowbots working boots?
I wore 'rigger' boots for about 16 years in my previous job and I think they are like a smarter slighly closer fitting rigger boot if I am honest.

Not only are they handsome and in fine condition, but I think you stole them at that price (~$50?) especially if they are comfortable. I have bought several pairs of used ePrey boots that were not even broken in yet, and I suspect that their main grievance was that they didn't fit well. I like the grain in those, and have a pair of J.B. Hill Buckaroos (TALL shafts) that feature the bison shoulder and I have purposely polished them down with brown, as they were almost butterscotch when new (as pictured). Now, they are adapting a nice soon-to-be-burnished look.
15267279-lg.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
Here are my "vintage" boots. Lucchese's are from 1979 and the flowery one made by Jesse, the bookmaker in Phoenix in 1977. Still have the receipt and they still fit my aging feet!
Boots1.jpg

Cheers from Switzerland
Hi Old,
Those on the right are WONDERFUL... almost looks like a little "hemp" growing on the toe! I have a similar pair of tan French calf 1970s San Antonio vintage Luccheses that have stove-pipe tops with a Spanish-flavor stitching that is quite elegant; they have a squared-moccasin toe that is very dressy. Are you familiar with the Western Art Outfitters shop in Rapersvil?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great looking boots there TipTop. Here are mine from Alberta Boot co.
5bd66a9a.jpg

a5c0888f.jpg

c80aad66.jpg

Oldest on the left youngest on the right. The yellow ones are due for re soling. Now I can't decide what pair I want to break in next. The short brown ones or the tall grey ones. Decisions decisions.
Johnny

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
Anyone had any experience with Double H boots? Specifically this model?http://www.doublehboots.com/Item.asp

Dennis, although I can not attest to Double H's cowboy boots I have owned their jump boots and have gotten good service and found them to be very comfortable and well made for their price.

Now if youre looking to make the jump into cowboy boots as work boots, I can recommend Red Wing Pecos boots. I have had several of these over the years and still have a pair today (they are around 10 years old). Fine boot and VERY comfortable even when I have the heels wore to the point of needing replacement. Good boots! Price is around $150 to 170. Kind of high I know, but when you wear them day in and day out, youll know why I love them.

Boots are like anything else. You get what you pay for. Go cheap, and you get a pair that lasts 6 months and leaves you with blisters. I learned the hard way there!

A few things I learned over the years and you can take or leave its up to you:

1) Pointy toes might look cool, but they put a hurtin on the toes.
2) If your walking a lot, get the walking heel not the riding heel. Your knees will thank you for that!
3) Dont go exotic. Stick to leather. Bull hide, steer hide, even deer hide. Leather is good for a work boot, exotics have a tendancy not to hold up as a work boot too well. And I swear, they can smell really bad when your feet sweat.. Household 06 made me put mine out on the patio when I came home from work.
4) Get yourself a couple of good pair of socks. Nothing worse than having to fish your socks out of your boots! I hate that!

Make sure you get them fitted. Kind of like buying an expensive suit. You might think you know their sizes, but cowboy boots are a different breed of animal and fit and sit completely different than other shoes.

On a good note, having shoes (cowboy boots) with a slight heel is good for your knees, hips and posture! Foung that out talking with my chiropractor!! aint that something!? Now find a style you like that fit the way they should, and set a fashion statement at work! Good luck and happy hunting!

Chaps

One of the Regulars
In addition to my love of fedoras and classic clothing styles, I also wear cowboy boots due to my being a rodeo chaplain. I own several pairs which include, Tony Lama, Justin, Dan Post, Double H and Old West.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I have met (and been measured by several) owners when visiting ElPaso: Dr. Hill, Pedro Munoz (Stallion), Nevena at RocketBuster and Frank at the Lucchese retail store. I have some vintage (70s and 80s) models too.

I'd be glad to answer any Qs you have about the brands I mentioned. I can also post websites if they aren't here already.

I`d be interested in your opinion who are the top bootmakers you would recommend and a few links to their sites for the record would be a great addition to this thread.

Nice collection!

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Anyone had any experience with Double H boots? Specifically this model?http://www.doublehboots.com/Item.asp

I have a pair of their gel ice work western boots which I do not like. The first pair I was sent was strange. One boot was noticeably wider than the other though they were marked with the same size. The actual soles differed by 1/4" in width. The second pair fit better but I don't think they are comfortable at all. I only wear them to shovel snow now. I should point out that a lot (if not all) of Double H "western" boots are not western boots at all. They're basically just wellingtons or engineer boots with a pointed toe.

Ariat has a lot of happy customers in off-the-rack rubber-soled boots though they are imported. For off-the-rack leather soled boots, I'm sold on Luchhese.

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
A lot of companies make an "off the rack" boot with rubber soles. Wolverine, Red Wing, Rocky Boots, etc. I just buy Tony Lama, have my cobbler put on a Vibram soling sheet, and call it a day.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
A lot of companies make an "off the rack" boot with rubber soles. Wolverine, Red Wing, Rocky Boots, etc. I just buy Tony Lama, have my cobbler put on a Vibram soling sheet, and call it a day.

I think you may be confusing something that looks like a western boot with an actual western boot. Western boots are lasted, shanked and pegged in a distinct way. Tony Lama makes western boots, yes. If Wolverine, Red Wing or Rocky Boots have taken this process up, it's news to me:rolleyes:.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Seabass
That first boot,especially,is absolutely stunning. How about some more info on and about it..?
Thank You
HD
H D
there cool huh! had em for 8 years hardly wear em they are show stoppers especially on a old hog with the tank shifter & floor boards. no clutch kickin to scratch em.
actually there ready for War & built Well,l old gringo i dont like the new old gringos the older ones were hand made compared to them now assembly line
232323232%7Ffp73466%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C2%3A6%3A67934%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73467%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C2%3A6%3A66%3A34%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63569%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C2%3A6%3A66%3B34%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73454%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C2%3A6%3A67434%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63569%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C2%3A6%3A67634%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63565%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C2%3A6%3A67534%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63564%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C2%3A6%3A67834%3Bnu0mrj

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Old gringos also the top pair & the bottom pair are 15 years old Crazy Horse custom boots
i used too much Bick 4 on these boots & sorta made em cloudy
oh yea HD i know you like HH jackets dont use Bick 4 on em espically vintage Horse hide

Old gringos also the top pair & the bottom pair are 15 years old Crazy Horse custom boots
i used too much Bick 4 on these boots & sorta made em cloudy
oh yea HD i know you like HH jackets dont use Bick 4 on em espically vintage Horse hide

Jeeze..I love the hand tooled OGs! That's Craftmanship! Would love to have a pair. It would complete the rest of my 'Old Gringo' appearance with such great style..indeed! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24