Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Cowboy boots can be found in a number of toe and heel styles from what Mr. Dean posted to some real extreme toes, very pointed to wide box styles and heel heights to over 3". Here are some examples of mine with the heels ranging from a 1 1/4" walking heel to a riding heel of nearly 2 1/2". The toes, from a very pointed undercut box toe to a 3/4" box toe and everything in between.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not a big fan of reptile boots, with the exception of gator but I have been looking for a pair of Teju lizard with a one piece vamp, if the price was right. These fit the bill. No brand name but stamped handmade in El Paso. image.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I never owned a pair of cowboy boots, but I think they look great (dh66, very cool boots).

Any advice for a newbie?

Big J like you I mostly post in the Outerwear section. Since I have owned cowboy boots since I was in college and currently own 11 pairs, I thought I would respond. I concur with another's recommendation of Lucchese Classics made in El Paso, although I liked Lucchese better years ago when they were made in San Antonio.

Most of my boots are either full quill or belly ostrich, and most were made by an old time bootmaker in Dallas, Felipe Ramirez, who died four years ago in his 80's and had made boots for me for over 30 years. Since I wear a size 13 AA with very low instep, all of my boots must be handmade for my canoe/duck-like feet.

I have one pair of belly ostrich boots made by Dr. J.B. Hill in El Paso to my specs that is very nice. I am especially fond of two pairs of smooth (belly) ostrich boots (one black and one dark brown) that I had measured according to my sizing by someone at M.L. Leddy's in the Fort Worth historic stockyards. M.L. Leddy has stores in Fort Worth and San Angelo, although the boots are still made in San Angelo as far as I know. I highly recommend smooth/belly ostrich with 12" kangaroo tops for comfort and durability. IMO the arch support is much better with M.L. Leddy's boots than with Lucchese. If you are ever in the DFW area, you must go to the Fort Worth historic stockyards on Main street and visit the M.L. Leddy store!

Another pair of "unknown" maker boots. Four digit number stamped inside and nothing else. Nice handmade boot with double row, wood peg construction with really stiff tops. Reminds me of a San Antonio era Lucchese. Horizontal stitch pattern is what caught my eye.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy