Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
And thank you, to you, and all your brothers! Because of you guys we get to sit and BS about hats!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You got that right DD.
It’s sad but lots of folks just don’t get it that their every breath was bought and paid for by Veterans, law enforcement, firefighters, etc. Too busy trying to correct everything they didn’t have s**t to do with i guess. You guys get it. That’s why i’m here with you.
B
Ps: here’s some Stewart updates just to stay on point.
EFA5AEB8-53A5-4403-944B-795C44D2236F.jpeg

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You got that right DD.
It’s sad but lots of folks just don’t get it that their every breath was bought and paid for by Veterans, law enforcement, firefighters, etc. Too busy trying to correct everything they didn’t have s**t to do with i guess. You guys get it. That’s why i’m here with you.
B
Ps: here’s some Stewart updates just to stay on point. View attachment 144299
Man, those are nice from tops to toes!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You got that right DD.
B
Ps: here’s some Stewart updates just to stay on point. View attachment 144299

Those are some fancy stitched stovepipes, B. I believe those may be quite old. Got me to wondering if Stewart is still in business. Did a little online look and their web site is shut down and hasn't been a post on their facebook page since 2016.

Kane

One of the Regulars
Man, some sweet boots you folks got. I wear Redwing Pecos work boots, but they’re more like a roper or Wellington, and off the shelf, except I buy the B width that Redwing offers. I have heard that there is a gentleman in Riverside or maybe Norco, California, who makes custom boots, everything from a basic work/riding boot, to a fancy custom boot. I have been interested in checking him out, but I don’t recall his name. Ring any bells for anyone?

Man, some sweet boots you folks got. I wear Redwing Pecos work boots, but they’re more like a roper or Wellington, and off the shelf, except I buy the B width that Redwing offers. I have heard that there is a gentleman in Riverside or maybe Norco, California, who makes custom boots, everything from a basic work/riding boot, to a fancy custom boot. I have been interested in checking him out, but I don’t recall his name. Ring any bells for anyone?

http://dimlights.com/custom-boots/cowboyboot-makers/

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings all:
Thanks DD, Bama, HJ, RJR on the comments and likes for the Stewarts. I do agree DD and Bama the stitching top to toe is nice. Seems much more that most other Stewarts i’ve seen. I do believe they are pretty old just unworn. The hide amazes me how pliable it is almost like dress gloves.
I read up on the company some too. Interesting history, seems they are still around but having a hard time the last couple years. 1955 to 2016 is a pretty good run and business statement. Not sure if there’s kids to take over, hope so.
Again, thanks all. Best $45 i ever spent and comfy as can be.
Be well. Bowen

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hey folks!
So I've been in contact with a boot maker from Leon, Mexico, and am about to place an order for a pair of cowboy boots. These are my first pair of custom boots, and I want to make sure I am doing everything right. So what best place to come asking for advice, right?

These boots are going to be my "only" pair of cowboy boots. I'll be using them mostly for motorcycle riding, but I want to be able to go horseback riding in them comfortably, should I want to.
My choices so far are:
- Full-grain roughout leather (just because an old pair of crappy industrial boots I had were like this and I liked them), possibly waxed.
- Since the smooth side of the leather is going to be inside, I was thinking of going unlined. Yay or nay?
- 1"3/4 heel and 13" shaft.
- Decorative stitching only around the top opening.

Now, do you boot gurus have any suggestion about these specs, or about anything I should ask/tell the maker?

Now for some questions:
How do you call the "rolled" sole in the mid section? I know it's a given, but I want to make sure they make it this way and don't know how to refer to it.
I've read that a toe box is a feature added for protection in the event a horse should step on your toes. Is this true and should I ask for one?

Lastly, I'd like your comments on the soles in the below picture, taken from a listing on ebay of a pair of boots for sale made by this maker. I can't see the "pegs". Is that a bad sign?
Thanks to anyone that would like to chime in.

View attachment 144254
Anyone?

Lots to respond to. That may be why the response has been 0 to this point. Let's hope others come aboard on this.

1) Cowboy boots for motorcycle riding suck. I spent quite a bit of time earning my living on the back of one and I wouldn't think of riding with anything other than a heavy soled lace up, typically a Corcoran jump boot. Cowboy boots can be adapted for riding but they wouldn't be my choice, ever.

2) I like your leather choice if you go with the waxed. Durable and low maintenance.

3) Always lined. I cant even imagine an unlined cowboy boot. The leathers used for the lining are extremely smooth and durable, adding to the structural integrity and durability of the boot.

4) The dimensions are within a range I enjoy wearing and simple stitching can be a plus.

5) The mid-sole (arch) area is where the outsole meets the insole in a 3/4 welt cowboy boot. This is the area where pegs would be if the outsole is pegged to the insole, around a hardened arch support. In a good boot, the pegging goes from one side of the arch to the other, going all the way around the heel. Leather stacked heels should be pegged as well.

6) A toe box is a must. It's not a "safety" toe as in a steel toe boot, though they've helped a bit around a hoof. It maintains the shape of the toe. Toe boxes of cowboy boots are made from leather or a synthetic material. The toe of the boot would flatten out in no time and look like a pair of Ariats without it.

Overall I know nothing of this maker and the photo doesn't offer much help.

Having said that, some of the finest boot makers ever have come from Leon. Without the makers that came from Leon, the big three would not have the success they did. This is well documented.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Many thanks Bama!

My reasoning for going unlined, was that since the smooth side of the grain will be on the inside, it wouldn't make much difference comfort-wise... Or are they going to be too many seams on the inside, chafing and rubbing?
Also I can just about picture my boots with the soft yellowish calf-skin lining developing holes in a few years, around he heels and such, so that would have been one way to avoid the problem.

As I said, total noobie here, so if my thinking was mistaken, any advice would be appreciated.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
One more question:
I was looking through pictures of boots by this maker (his name is Miguel Jones) on his etsy shop, and saw a pair that feature an odd-looking piece (at least to me) attached on top of the heel. It looks like some sort of plastic or rubber seam. Anyone know what this is about?

boots.jpg

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I live in a wet climate and have all my keeper boots and shoes with a Topy sole covering. It keeps the leather intact and when/if I wear the Topy out it is a cheap fix $40 or so, rather than an entire resole. There are two types a Topy and I think a thicker one called a Puma (or some cat like name). Both are thiin and do not enlarge the profile of the sole very much. They give slip resistance and greater wear for the $40 without altering the boot. LuvMyMan here on the Lounge buys knockoffs off Ebay and does it herself but I don't have the patience. Tried it once and it was a complete failure so I leave it to the professionals now.
I ordered a pair of the rubber half soles and cement a few days ago. I will give it a go and see if I can screw it up. Watched some vids on YT. Got some 60 grit sandpaper. Hope it works.:):):)

One more question:
I was looking through pictures of boots by this maker (his name is Miguel Jones) on his etsy shop, and saw a pair that feature an odd-looking piece (at least to me) attached on top of the heel. It looks like some sort of plastic or rubber seam. Anyone know what this is about?

View attachment 144515

The top of the heel is called the "rand". It is a leather or plastic piece placed where the heel meets the heel counter. In a riding boot this area is sometimes a little larger creating a spur ledge/shelf. It appears on that boot he used a contrasting color where usually it is matched to the color of the boot heel.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I don't know if this trick has been posted here or not. We all know if the boot is too tight fill the bottom with water, let set a bit, empty it and wear them until dry. This is for the sloppy fit boots that are too big. Get some good med. to thick gel insoles depending on how sloppy the boot is. Trim it down to fit inside the boot and it will tighten the fit up and be nice and comfy on the foot. Been doing it for years.

Manly Footwear

New in Town
Hey folks,

I wanted to circle back and give y'all an update of my boot journey. To recap: I'm hard to fit size 15, narrow width. Typically there are very few options for me and I tried several off the self options, but could never get the fit and or style in my size right. I then did a lot of research and decided to go the custom route. I wanted to to establish a working relationship with at least one maker so I could have a source of good fitting and nice styled boots.

First up, Legendary Boots El Paso. I went to El Paso and looked at a few makers and decided to commission a pair with Legendary. I had a great experience, was able to select all the details and provide a vision as far as leather and stitching color using a standard stitch pattern and let Bob interpret that into the final product. Bob took a lot of measurements and I settled on medium brown calf vamps and maroon uppers with 14'' tops, 1 1/4 narrow square toe and a 1 1/2 walking heel. I opted for sole savers, as I add those all my leather bottom dress shoes. Turn around, about a year, might have been sooner but I delayed a while on final decisions. Results, I really like them! Fit is perfect, and happy with quality. I would highly recommend working with Legendary and I'm already planning my next project.

image1 (3).jpeg
image3.jpeg

Next up: M. L. Leddy's out of Abelline, with show room in Fort Worth. Leddy's comes through my town once a year with the Rodeo and has a sizable show space. They had a lot of finished boots on display and I liked their stitch pattens and quality so I decided to get measured up. Process was OK, it was at a show there was a feeling of being rushed, but that is understandable. Custom options were limited, but I had the option of leather and color based on sample ring they had as well as stitching color. I settled on, 13'' tops, 1 1/2 walking heel, narrow square toe (~1''), dark brown kangaroo vamps and black cherry brush off goat uppers, with a sole saver. Took about 9 months. Fit seems good, although I have only worn them twice, they still need a full break-in.

image1 (4).jpeg

image2 (1).jpeg

I wish I was able to get a higher shaft on the Leddy's, but I'm happy with both. The limited ability to adjust the shaft will be a barrier for ordering again.

image3 (1).jpeg

I have one more commission in the works, it will be in after the first of the year, I'll update once it comes in.

Thanks for all the advise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21