Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Great read Greg. Thanks
I’m lucky to have 4 pair from two of those shops mentioned.
Bowen

Thanks, B, route right about that. Your Bonds made when Paul was still alive and I think your Stewart's were made during their heyday in AZ. I was trying to think as I retread tha story this morning about who is left making boots. Plus, a # of good TX makers were left off that trail.

Stewart is gone. Brest's shop burned down in 2008, and even though the city came up with some money to help him rebuild, I've found no evidence he did. Blucher is allegedly still in business but their website is down and no ones answering the phone.

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
Thanks, B, route right about that. Your Bonds made when Paul was still alive and I think your Stewart's were made during their heyday in AZ. I was trying to think as I retread tha story this morning about who is left making boots. Plus, a # of good TX makers were left off that trail.

Stewart is gone. Brest's shop burned down in 2008, and even though the city came up with some money to help him rebuild, I've found no evidence he did. Blucher is allegedly still in business but their website is down and no ones answering the phone.
Someone did try to make a go of Brest’s shop but didn’t last long. I saw a pair of their boots on the bay a couple of weeks ago with a note that linked the maker with Brest.

Someone did try to make a go of Brest’s shop but didn’t last long. I saw a pair of their boots on the bay a couple of weeks ago with a note that linked the maker with Brest.

Thanks, Richard. I knew Brest bought Rusty Franklin's shop but never knew if made them under his own name or continued to use Franklin's.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did Dan Post or Justin ever come close to older Lama's or Lucchese?
Having worked in a western store in the 70s, that was a dealer for Lama, Justin, Dan Post, and Acme, here is my experience. Others may disagree, this is just my opinion. Tony Lama was my favorite, but I think Justin made a fine boot, just different fit and styling. Dan Post varies, since their boot making was contacted out. Some good, but not equal to Lama. Although they were lower priced than Lama and Justin. We used to refer to them as upper end Acmes. I think Noconas are pretty much equal to Lama. I have no experience with Lucchese.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

@Desert dog, I think you are spot on but his question is hard to answer because he didn't suggest a decade or era. The quality of construction of TL's, Justin and Nocona were probably on par with Lucchese Classics during the 70's but Lucchese didn't produce as many boots as the other outfits and they always used premium leathers and their boots were all hand lasted, lemonwood pegged soles. The finish on the Lucchese's were a bit better and QC was probably a bit better. For someone like me, there wasn't enough difference to even consider laying out so much extra cash for the Lucchese's. I've only owned one pair of Lucchese's and they were made in El Paso. They were great boots and the quality I would rank up there with some of my customs. I also own a pair of TL's from the late 50's-early 60's that I would put up against any boots.

Having said all that, in the 70's Lucchese was still in San Antonio and the San Antonio boots are widely considered by collectors to be the superior boots. I can't speak to this as I've never owned any from this era though I keep looking for a nice pair in my size.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Desert dog, I think you are spot on but his question is hard to answer because he didn't suggest a decade or era. The quality of construction of TL's, Justin and Nocona were probably on par with Lucchese Classics during the 70's but Lucchese didn't produce as many boots as the other outfits and they always used premium leathers and their boots were all hand lasted, lemonwood pegged soles. The finish on the Lucchese's were a bit better and QC was probably a bit better. For someone like me, there wasn't enough difference to even consider laying out so much extra cash for the Lucchese's. I've only owned one pair of Lucchese's and they were made in El Paso. They were great boots and the quality I would rank up there with some of my customs. I also own a pair of TL's from the late 50's-early 60's that I would put up against any boots.

Having said all that, in the 70's Lucchese was still in San Antonio and the San Antonio boots are widely considered by collectors to be the superior boots. I can't speak to this as I've never owned any from this era though I keep looking for a nice pair in my size.
I would like to try vintage lucchese, if I ever come across some at a good price. Especially their black cherry color!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
You gentlemen answered the question just fine as I asked if they were ever on par and you did give me decades you felt they were. I still trying to get a handle on what vintage boots are worth searching out and you're helping my knowledge base grow.

Now to figure out how to determine a boots age by labels, etc., and fitment, i.e., if I'm a normal 10D how far off will a 10.5D be? In regular hunting/construction boots, not bad at all, sometimes desirable. Who knows in western boots though...

thanks,

Rob

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
2542D586-ADC9-47BA-96F0-745D190B80BF.jpeg
Greetings All:
Quite an array of stellar boots on parade lately. It’s been a fun watch.
Had the Bonds out today. I’m almost afraid to wear em much cause they are so pristine. I guess once they get a scuff i can relax. Almost...maybe
Stewarts in the back with a bunch of etc’s.
Be well. Bowen

View attachment 152814 Greetings All:
Quite an array of stellar boots on parade lately. It’s been a fun watch.
Had the Bonds out today. I’m almost afraid to wear em much cause they are so pristine. I guess once they get a scuff i can relax. Almost...maybe
Stewarts in the back with a bunch of etc’s.
Be well. Bowen
Somewhat like a new vehicle.....me being so careful not to get that first scratch or ding....after the first.....don't care that much and just drive the damn thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ