Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Those are Dixon Boots. Dixon was in Omaha, NE but their boots were made in Mexico. Typical flat arch with 1-5/8 walking heel, valley boot. The Dixon name is today under the Ariat umbrella. Ariat now owns the factory across the border from El Paso, TX.

Very cool Bob.
So 5b is a kids size about 9”x3”??
They look custom and very well made.

Thanks Bowen. I didn’t spend enough time with them to get measurements as there was still an estate sale to check out. :)

Those are Dixon Boots. Dixon was in Omaha, NE but their boots were made in Mexico. Typical flat arch with 1-5/8 walking heel, valley boot. The Dixon name is today under the Ariat umbrella. Ariat now owns the factory across the border from El Paso, TX.

Thanks for the info Jack! If I didn’t get any boots at least I learned something.

And thanks to Greg (@Bamaboots ) for the pre-sale advice.

Thanks for the info Jack! If I didn’t get any boots at least I learned something.
You didn’t miss much. I had a couple pair of Dixon boots growing up & I bought a vintage pair as a grownup. They aren’t well made boots. They’re what’s called 5 mph boots; not well made & wont wear long, but look good walking by at 5 mph.

If you study vintage boots today you learn to recognize where they came from. In the days before CNC it used to be that no bookmaker/factory would copy another’s stitch patterns without at least making some change to it. As an example look at all the variations of the tulip pattern on vintage boot tops. And all valley boots are made pretty much the same way regardless which side of the border they were made on. And keep in mind that Mexican lasts tend to be wider with a flatter arch than American lasts.

Ariat is still using that same stitch pattern on women’s fashion mules (low cut shoe boots) coming out of that same shoe factory today.

20220728_161103.jpg

Tony Lama black labels for work today.

Psant25

One Too Many
Ordered these from Stephen at Tim’s Boots yesterday. Great guy to work with. 6 month wait. Looking forward to them. They are my first exotic pair and first “non-round” toe. I changed the upper to similar colored mad dog goat per stephens recommendation for thickness and durability compared to the ranch hand pictured. I also added a toe bug. And per my usual i am narrowing the shafts from 15 inch circumference at the top on a size 10D boot to 14 inches. Works great for me legs and my jeans as I taper them to a 14-14.5 inch leg opening.
-brad
5C2D65A8-406E-4C5F-A1D2-9752BF5A5CE2.jpeg

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ordered these from Stephen at Tim’s Boots yesterday. Great guy to work with. 6 month wait. Looking forward to them. They are my first exotic pair and first “non-round” toe. I changed the upper to similar colored mad dog goat per stephens recommendation for thickness and durability compared to the ranch hand pictured. I also added a toe bug. And per my usual i am narrowing the shafts from 15 inch circumference at the top on a size 10D boot to 14 inches. Works great for me legs and my jeans as I taper them to a 14-14.5 inch leg opening.
-brad
View attachment 442445
Good call with the toe bug looks good on elephant vamps I hoping to have a pair of Blackjack boots from timsboots this month ordered last Feb

Love the pearly sparkle of a fine Stingray, Dale.
Thanks man! I'm really impressed with how tough these skins are. I've been wearing them to work on the regular, and in spite of the khaki pants and new title, I still am involved in a lot of hands on plumbing and steam fitting work. These things haven't gotten scratched or scuffed up yet, and have had plenty of opportunities.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks man! I'm really impressed with how tough these skins are. I've been wearing them to work on the regular, and in spite of the khaki pants and new title, I still am involved in a lot of hands on plumbing and steam fitting work. These things haven't gotten scratched or scuffed up yet, and have had plenty of opportunities.
I hear you. Short of some dinosaur critter i can’t think of any hide as tough. And yet so elegant and classy.
Best of both worlds.
Be well.
Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112