Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Holly, you are the only one on this thread, besides me, who could wear these things. I bought them from customboots off ebay a few years ago (less $$ than they are now) and they have become my favorites, just a pair of beauties, but hardly practical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63889&item=3975621056&rd=1

If that does not come up, you can go to ebay and type in the above 397...number and they will come up. Gene Autry and Rex Allen have nothing on me.... I like to wear these with my Stetson "Gus."

karol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Wow, those are mighty perty! I just can't bring myself to wear the pointy toed boots. Seems they wouldn't be as comfortable as the more rounded toe of the ropers.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, perty they are, practical they ain't; I don't wear them to do chores or even walk around much. I doubt they would be your boot of choice in one of those bullwhip-cracking contests.

But they sure look good, and are actually more comfortable than I thought they'd be. My foot does not reach into the point -- I could stuff cotton in it. (I guess that is what they do with all those pointed-toe boots. Nobody has feet shaped like that!)

I have a couple of Ropers, too, and they are a lot more practical. Most of my boot collection, though, is for show, but none are uncomfortable or I wouldn't be able wear them.

One of my favorite and most comfortable pair of boots I got off ebay for a pittance -- they are white, roper-style custom made for a client who did not show up to pay for them. They are a perfect fit for my feet, so I emailed the seller and thanked him, also told him to thank the fool who did not show up to pay for those beautiful boots.

karol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
As it turns out, a few of those boot makers
don't make boots wide enough for my EEEE feet.
But some do, and I'll be pursuing them.

Thanks.

zeus36

A-List Customer
The toe style doesn't matter much, only for personal preference. Your toes should not enter the "toe box" on properly sized western boots. Pointed toe gives a slimming appearance to the foot, unless you have bannana-boat sized feet!

I have a very pointed pair, and the only thing I notice is you tend to bump the tip into the stuff above the accelerator and brake pedals. Roper boots remind me too much of UGG boots.

Here are a couple pointers:

In a quality boot, you will find a steel shank between the insole and the outsole that extends from the heel to the point where the ball of the boot begins. If the boot is too short for the foot, the ball of the foot will sit too far forward and force the toes into the toe box.

A boot must slip slightly in the heel. When the boot is new, the sole is stiff. As you wear the boot, the sole is "flexed." With time, most of the slippage will disappear. If the instep is too loose, the boot will slip excessively in the heel. To remedy this, you may need a more narrow width to shorten the circumference of the throat and thus lessen the slippage without cutting down on the length of the boot. Slight slippage is necessary to obtain a proper fit.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I feel I must chime in...

I find Lucchese http://www.lucchese.com/luccheseclassics/default.htm (Pronounced Lu-case-ee) boots to be some of the best I have ever worn. When I am in the store and looking at a pair I get pumped like I do when I see Aldens on display. I have to exercise restraint to NOT buy them.

I am thinking about a pair like these.
034300ck1.jpg

Here is a heel and toe chart to look at the different styles http://www.cowboybootshop.com/heel_toe.htm

I suggest a leather sole if you are looking to do some 2-stepping. You will need it to shuffle you feet across the floor.

Pyr.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Yes. It's lizard. I have always wanted lizard or ostrich.

It has a cool inlay that you don't notice unless you look closely and if it isn't covered up but the pants.
034300b.jpg

That's one of the problems with cowboy boots. Most of the decorative work is covered up by the pants.

Pyr.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Pyroxene -- Oh, lordy, that is pretty.

You are right. Makes me glad I am a gal -- I can wear my boots with trousers tucked in and no one says much.

I imagine a guy in Texas, or some cowboy part of the country, could wear them tucked in. Especially with the boots they now make that come up to your knee.

Beautiful boots. I have a pair of black lizards, or at least the vamp is lizard. They are not as fancy as those, though. Mine are Panhandle Slims that I got off ebay, nowhere near Luchesses.

karol

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Riding Boots vs. Cowboy Boots

K.D. Lightner said:
I imagine a guy in Texas, or some cowboy part of the country, could wear them tucked in. Especially with the boots they now make that come up to your knee.

Speaking strictly about Cowboy boots, a guy would only tuck your pants in your boots if you were 1.) working in the mud and didn't want cake your pants with dirt or 2.) maybe if you were in a really bad rain storm and you didn't want to get your pants wet say crossing the street. But as soon as you were inside, you would untuck them and let them drape over the boot again.

Riding boots are a different story. I think it's mainly up to personal style as to what or how you want to wear them. I believe boots that come up to your knee are riding boots and that's to protect your leg from rocks as you are riding a motorcycle.

Just my thoughts

Pyr.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Which are the best cowboy boots?

I want to buy another pair of cowboy boots. I don't want some cheap pair of Made In China, Mexico or India nonsense, but, quality American boots. I've looked at Lucasey (Lucchesi), Nocona and Tony Lama. The Lucasy boots are said to have a patent on the heel so that they don't roll around. They run about $500 or $600. Some of the Nocona boots are exotic skins and are about $200 less. Anyone familiar with cowboy boots and what type of skin is the best? I don't like ostrich.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Bullhide or kangaroo is the toughest. I like Tony Llama or Nacona...Luchese makes some noce boots but they are kinda pricey. My wife has a pair of Luchesse and she loves them. I wear Justin Ropers, which are basically Wellingtons, and they ar pretty comfortable. I prefer a rounded toe to a pointed toe, and a flater heel.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Amen my Justin wearin' brother! lol

I second the Justins Bob. I've got a pair, I'm not sure what model they are now as I've had them for almost 4 years now. They are just a basic pull on boot but the cool part of it is they've got Kevlar soles! I have but only a small bit of wear on them- tough as nails. The Kevlar is black and it is made in such a way to resemble a black crepe sole. I'll look around and see if I can find what model they are. They pretty much have a timeless look to them and the shade I happen to have ages well.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
BT - Help me out

There was a site for a J. R. Reyes authentic 1870 cowboy boots. They were all handmade and looked 100% great. But the site is gone and the domain poofed.

Anyone know where they went to?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Kangaroo?

Biltmore Bob said:
Bullhide or kangaroo is the toughest. I like Tony Llama or Nacona...Luchese makes some noce boots but they are kinda pricey. My wife has a pair of Luchesse and she loves them. I wear Justin Ropers, which are basically Wellingtons, and they ar pretty comfortable. I prefer a rounded toe to a pointed toe, and a flater heel.

I haven't come across any kangaroo yet. Maybe I have but I didn't know. Now I know to ask next time I go looking. Right now I've got a great pair of Nocona boots made with Cape Buffalo skins. The guy who sold them to me died, so now I'm a little ignorant about getting another pair. It's got a pointed toe but they are really comfortable. I was a little wearey with the pointed toe but they hold up real good. The guy who sold them to me said as long as you have the right boot size the toe won't bend up. He was right. I have to use an insole otherwise my arches ache. So I wear thin socks with them. I've had them for about six years, eight heals, three soles ago and they still look and wear great. I clean them with shoe cream only and nothing touches the stitching. Have to take them off at the airport or I'll never make it past the metal detector. I'm looking for a rounded toe this time around for variety. How does rattlesnake hold up through the years?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Paul Bond Boots, Nogales Arizona.

Handmade boots. No plastic or rubber in sight. They make Tony Llama look like junk.

As far as toughness, I'd go with sharkskin or buffalo. My dad has a pair in kangaroo, and they've served him well for 10 years of daily wear (he's gone through 3 sets of soles).

They have a website, but it is in no way representative of their selection. Just use it to call them and get a catalog and fitting sheet.

http://www.paulbondboots.com/

varga49

One of the Regulars
You didn't say what your intended use for your boots is so I'd assume you want a boot that serves primarily as a dress boot but one you wouldn't be afraid to get covered in mud. If the cost is less of an object than quality go with a custom bootmaker. Here are a few from around here;

Jones Custom Boots
Hwy 290 Main Street.
Harper, TX 78631
(830) 864-4673

L.M. Easterling Custom Boot Company
Lloyd Easterling, Bootmaker
609 West Main Street
Fredericksburg, TX 78624
(888) 811-8980
(830) 997-8980
Email: easterlingboot@fbg.net

Richard O. Cook Custom Boots
(formerly Jack Reed's Custom Made Boots)
56 E. Nunez
P.O. Box
Stonewall, Texas 78671
(830) 644-2760
E-mail: cookstar@ktc.co

Capitol Saddlery
1614 Lavaca
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 478-9309
E-mail: mike@capitolsaddlery.com
URL: http://www.capitolsaddlery.com

Texas Custom Boots
Noel Escobar Jr., Owner
2525 South Lamar Blvd.
Austin, TX 78704
(512) 442-0926
E-mail: TXcstmboot@aol.com

Texas Traditions
Lee Miller, Bootmaker
2222 College Avenue
Austin, TX 78704
(512) 443-4447
E-mail: texastrad@aol.com

PS I wear Double H, a middle quality bullhide boot, that I can get dirty and will still clean up well. and they're made in USA. good luck on your quest!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch