Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I didn't know you were looking for custom...

...come to Texas then, pardner...there's a custom bootmaker on every corner here.

Ditto what Zohar said 'bout Paul Bond, I've never had a pair, but I seen 'em in person before. Nice boots, and real thick leather soles. Off the rack I'll still choose a pair of Tony Llamas.

I'd stay away from the real exotics if I were you. While some are durable enough, they just don't go with everything. Rattlesnake had scales..I don't think they will be too durable. Plus I think they would make you look like a Mexican Druglord. Regular Cow/Steerhide is usually good enough. Like I said Bullhide or Kangaroohide is real tough.

Then there is shaft length. I prefer ten to twelve inch shafts. I will sometimes tuck my jeans in when I'm doing chores to keep the cuffs from getting wet or muddy.

Bebop

Practically Family
I have 8 pair of cowboy boots and nothing beats my Tony Llamas. I have resoled one pair 4 times in the last 10 years and they just get better and better. It depends on what your foot likes. The lasts on Llamas are like custom made to my foot. Noconas are also some of my favorites. Cowhide is just fine. Anything else is just not to my liking. If they get too fancy with exotic skins, they start to look a little funny to me. I like them simple, comfortable and long lasting. I would love to have a pair of custom made boots but have not gone there yet. I fear that someday I may start collecting cowboy boots.

varga49

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
If you want to see the boots the movie stars wear these days, feast your eyes on these babies:

http://www.rocketbuster.com

Boots as works of art...

karol

PS -- most I drool over, some I wouldn't be caught dead in.

I especially had a chuckle at the "cool arrow" boots. If you run those two words together they have an entirely different meaning in Spanish. "Cool Arrow Boots"!

jdjs

Familiar Face
A Little Spoiled

Having grown up here, I've kinda gotten spoiled by one of our local companies, Alberta Boot. My uncles swore by them, as did many of the people who were homesteaders and ranchers. I try to avoid the store (never seem to escape without a pair); well worth them. You can find them here: www.albertaboot.com. Not exactly American, though . . .

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
BellyTank said:
Here's their business card Scott- they're in Mr. Deckards town...

reyes_boots.jpg

There you go!

B
T

I knowed I could count on you, but.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
"Cool Arrow Boots"

varga49 said:
I especially had a chuckle at the "cool arrow" boots. If you run those two words together they have an entirely different meaning in Spanish. "Cool Arrow Boots"!
I said it over again and again. I think I've heard some Mexicans say the word you mean in Spanish. I just don't know what they mean when they say it.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Rattlesnake...out

Biltmore Bob said:
...come to Texas then, pardner...there's a custom bootmaker on every corner here.

Ditto what Zohar said 'bout Paul Bond, I've never had a pair, but I seen 'em in person before. Nice boots, and real thick leather soles. Off the rack I'll still choose a pair of Tony Llamas.

I'd stay away from the real exotics if I were you. While some are durable enough, they just don't go with everything. Rattlesnake had scales..I don't think they will be too durable. Plus I think they would make you look like a Mexican Druglord. Regular Cow/Steerhide is usually good enough. Like I said Bullhide or Kangaroohide is real tough.

Then there is shaft length. I prefer ten to twelve inch shafts. I will sometimes tuck my jeans in when I'm doing chores to keep the cuffs from getting wet or muddy.

Don't think I'd go custom yet. Off the rack is just fine with me, I'm not trying to impress, and like Varga said I want something that dresses and cleans good but I'm not afraid to get mud on. Rattlesnake does look Drug lordish, I know a guy who was a DEA agent who had a pair, maybe that's where he got them. Some of the real exotics are too much for me, I don't like to call too much attention to myself. I'm going to check out kangaroo hide. Those Paul Bond boots look good. I'll contact and/or maybe make a run down there on Washington's B-Day weekend.

Harry Lime

Suspended
Deerskin is also nice.

Softer than cow or bull, just as tough. I've got a pair of Dan Post that are pretty great. I don't know if you already have cowboy boots or not, if you don't, fit is extremely important to keep in mind (it is in all shoes, obviously, but in cowboy boots it's extra-important.) If you're going off the rack go to a place that sells a variety of brands. Try on similar boots from different makers and go with the one that fits best. You'll be suprised at the differences between brands. If you want custom on a budget, try Champion Boots. I think they're in El Paso (google them.) Supringly nice custom boots at off-the-shelf costs.

(Cowboy boots are really cool and we have a lot of Rockabillies here. Someone should start a Show us Your Cowboy boots thread - it would be great. Someone more adept at posting photos than I. The 30's-60's boots are too cool.)

Harry Lime

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
If not custom then...Tony Llamas or...

Justin Ropers are good kicking around in boots, the heels are not as angled and toes not as pointed as some cowboy boots are. So that means that you don't have to dress western when you wear them, if you know what I mean. The real pointy sloped heel boots only really go with western attire. You are not going to get away with wearing a Newsboy Cap with those kind of boots. I can wear a Fedora or a Newsboy with my Ropers. They are basically Wellingtons anyway.

Fit is important. They have to feel good in the store. Don't listen to a sales person that says "Oh, they'll stretch", or "they need to be broken in". Most sales people don't know what they are talking about anyway...but that is a whole 'nother subject, y'all. If you get the right fit they'll feel good the first time you put them on. There will be a little 'slip' in the heel, that's normal. You should not develop blisters if the fit is good either.

I have probably owned 20 to 50 pairs of cowboy boots in my life. Everything from low end Dingos and Durangos to mid range Tony Llamas and Dan Posts...to several pair of customs, and I can tell you that if you get the right pair you won't look back....but once again, they don't go with everything...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The posts here have been very informative. I don't have as much knowledge or experience as the others. You guys really know your cowboy boots. For what it's worth I own a pair of Chippewa wellingtons that I've had for a few years and they are very good boots. I don't know about now but when I got mine they were still made in the U.S.A. They're good for just about anything and well made. My only regret was that they are a little bit big (I know that cowboy boots are supposed to have a bit of slip in the heel but I think that mine are a bit large). Anyway, Chippewa are (were?) good boots. Less than $200.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Justin Brands

Chippewas are owned by Justin in Fort Worth, Texas nowadays, as are several other brands. Most Chippewas are still made in the USA, but they are out sourcing to China some of their lace ups. I just got a pair of Chip Engineer Boots from them and they were made in the USA.

Bebop

Practically Family
varga49 said:
That is very funny. I always wondered what a "culero" would wear....if a culero were to wear boots.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Fit is Numero Uno

Biltmore Bob said:
Chippewas are owned by Justin in Fort Worth, Texas nowadays, as are several other brands. Most Chippewas are still made in the USA, but they are out sourcing to China some of their lace ups. I just got a pair of Chip Engineer Boots from them and they were made in the USA.
This pair will be boots I wear everyday. Once, I bought a pair of shoes that the salesman said would stretch and I ended up walking around the office in my socks all day. I'm not working in the office for a couple months and will be out in the field. The Nocona Cape Buffalo hide boots I have now I wear with either dungarees or my suits, but I don't want to be sloshing around in rain, mud and dirt with them and then having to spend an hour to clean them up when I put a suit on once a week. (It's always good to get high falutin' peoples reactions when they see a guy wearing a suit and cowboy boots.) So I want one pair for showin' and one for blowin'. Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to buying boots and the web pages don't tell me as much as I've learned just in the past 12 hours on this thread. When I buy shoes, boots and suits I try to get info from the good sources and then tell the salesman what I want. I've got a wide foot so I'm either getting the right size or nothing. Deerskin or Kangaroo? Sounds real good. I've never had either so now is the time to give it try. Made in Asia shoes I pass up, they never fit, are too small, even with a size bigger than USA sized shoes. So I have to have USA cowboy boots. (Canadian feet are similar to American so those would also work.)

Havana

One of the Regulars
For a good everyday boot that is western without looking too western, I've got to cast my vote for Justin Ropers. These are extremely comfortable, low heeled, round toe boots with a short shaft. I wear mine everyday. You can walk in them without discomfort and you can even run in them. They look quite nice if you can keep them polished. Check the boots to see where they are made. The cheapest ones are made in China. The good ones are still made in USA. If you want tough, don't rule out elephant. I have two sets of elephant boots, Justin Roper Exotic and a pair of Tony Lama. Both are tough as nails.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Biltmore Bob said:

Biltmore Bob,
Did you get the ones that have the cap toe? Do you find the Chippewas run pretty true to size?
Do you know of a place that has good deals on Chippewas? I have been looking at both the Chippewa and Redwing brand and trying to decide between the two companies.

Thanks,
Ben

bgbdesign

New in Town

Given my choice I prefer true vintage boots but they are just not always availble.One vintage pair that are nice and occasionally found reasonable are Acme. Acme boots have a super leather and sole, all leather/cloth interiors, nice details in the fancy ones, but for some reason sometimes come with a crappy all rubber heel,(which I replace with stacked leather)

Cockroach killers!

that is..toes so pointed they can kill a cockroach in a corner!
My favorites in new made are Eldorado and nocona- pointed toe and western slant heel. I like eldorados for dressy and nocona for everyday wear. I have a nocona pair that have been resoled several times and they look like hell-which is perfect!
I also have had a thin rubber half sole applied to the leather sole so I have better footing on a motorcycle and so they will stay dry in wet weather. Water is terrible on leather soles!

Last....BE CAREFUL! boots are not something to trifle with.....you CAN get hooked
'best
bg

acme-egl.jpg

nocona-tan.jpg

ELDORADO.jpg

nocona-tan.jpg

ELDO.jpg

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
They run a little big for me...

Blackgrass said:
Biltmore Bob,
Did you get the ones that have the cap toe? Do you find the Chippewas run pretty true to size?
Do you know of a place that has good deals on Chippewas? I have been looking at both the Chippewa and Redwing brand and trying to decide between the two companies.

Thanks,
Ben

I wear a hard 11 1/2 and the Chip Engineer boots are a little large. I wear thick soled boot socks anyway and that clears up the problem. Plus you can adjust the instep strap for a snugger fit. I can't stand a pair of boots where my big toe touches the toe of the boot. When my feet swell it starts to cramp up. So a little more room in an Engineer boot is OK.

The ones I have don't have cap or steel toes. This is where I got them.
http://www.bootsusa.com/
Some times they will have seconds they call blems for a discount of several dollars. I have blems and can't really see why they were 2nds. Overall they are a comfortable pair of boots if somewhat heavy.

I was out looking at boots at one of the many western stores in my area and was really suprised at the number of cowboy boots that were made in China. Of all places...is there nothing sacred anymore...Chinese Cowboy Boots, that's just wrong...My Justins were hencho en Mexico, but there are Mexican Cowboys, there are South American Cowboys...recently Riccardo introduced us to Italian Cowboys...but freaking Chinese Cowboys? Puleeese. I didn't find any Naconas, Lucheese, or Tony Llamas made in China though...mostly Justin. Needles to say my next pair is probably gonna be custom.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget the Hawaiian Cowboys

Originally posted by Biltmore Bob;
I was out looking at boots at one of the many western stores in my area and was really suprised at the number of cowboy boots that were made in China. Of all places...is there nothing sacred anymore...Chinese Cowboy Boots, that's just wrong...My Justins were hencho en Mexico, but there are Mexican Cowboys, there are South American Cowboys...recently Riccardo introduced us to Italian Cowboys...but freaking Chinese Cowboys? Puleeese. I didn't find any Naconas, Lucheese, or Tony Llamas made in China though...mostly Justin. Needles to say my next pair is probably gonna be custom.
[/QUOTE]
They're the paniolo's from Parker Ranch on the Big Island. ha ha. Thanks for all the information. I've been checking the sites everyone has been recommending and I'm like a kid in the candy store. If I go down Texas way, I'm definetly going to go into hock to get a custom pair. Still looking, will check out some stores this weekend. No way, I'm buying Chinese Cowboy boots, I can feel the blisters on my feet right now.:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot