Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy prices at BUZZ RICKSON'S EUROPE (AKA Eastman leather company)

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Familiar Face
Hi there all,
i'd like to buy a BUZZ RICKSON'S US NAVY PEA COAT so i've checked a couple of web-stores who deal with this brand,or rather: History preservation,buzz rickson's Europe(eastman leather company) and any other settled in England.

So,comparig the prices for this coat provided from all these vendors,i've noticed that ELC IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE OF ALL.These are the prices for the same pea coat:

History preservatioN: 765$ (or about 586 EURO)

Buzz Rickson's Europe(ELC ): 695£ (or about 834 EURO)

OMG!!...there's a difference of 248 EURO or 217 DOLLARS.It's unbelieveble.

My question is simple......WHY?????

PS:Searching among the thousands of japanese web-shops all they prices are nearer to History preservation ones.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
VAT probably has a fair bit to do with it, couldn't help you about the rest.

Probably the VAT element, if you are importing from outwith the EU you will probably get hit for import duty and VAT. I was just pleased when my Aero Irvin sneaked in from Finland without being taxed.

Finland is in the EU, so you wouldn't have to pay any VAT for something coming into the UK from there.

tonypaj

Practically Family
VAT probably has a fair bit to do with it, couldn't help you about the rest.

Finland is in the EU, so you wouldn't have to pay any VAT for something coming into the UK from there.

Not to nitpick or be too legalistic, but in fact you do pay VAT, if you buy from a business in Finland and have the jacket shipped to the UK. However, it is the Finnish VAT, which should be included in the price, and no VAT should be charged in the UK.

If you buy from a private person, things change again, don't want to go there :)

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Familiar Face
yes VAT probably determines a price increase,at any rate it seems to be exaggerated in my opinion...a question,is the VAT not applied in the USA?

I live in ITALY,so in EU as the UK,but i think i should buy from USA or Japan rather then England to save....I think it's ridiculous,isn't it?

Cocluding,it's really all because of VAT?

Otter

One Too Many
You could but you own customs may well catch it on the way in and charge you VAt and any import duty. I have bought Tim Coterill bronzes from the States, sometimes I get hit for VAT sometimes they just get through.

Last edited:

J.W.

A-List Customer
I think with 25 - 40% of the price, you pay for BR's name. The gear fetches high prices anywhere around the world, then you have to add shipping and the vendor wants to make some profit, too. And part of the brand's image is simply the high price. As long as people are willing to pay the money, that won't change. Does anybody know anything about the working conditions for BR-workers, in the factories, I mean.

Qinhan

Familiar Face
I think with 25 - 40% of the price, you pay for BR's name. The gear fetches high prices anywhere around the world, then you have to add shipping and the vendor wants to make some profit, too. And part of the brand's image is simply the high price. As long as people are willing to pay the money, that won't change. Does anybody know anything about the working conditions for BR-workers, in the factories, I mean.

That's something I'd be really curious to know too. I like BR's clothing but have often wondered whether the made in Japan label necessarily meant that the working conditions were superior to what you typically find in other parts of Asia. If I'm going to spending top dollar for the clothes I like, I'd prefer that the guy that actually makes them gets a fair cut.

Edward

Bartender
It is markedly cheaper in the USA... not sure if the HP site is quoting you the price paid before sales tax or not (that always drives me up the wall in the US, that nothing seems to cost what it says on the label, they always add sales tax on top... hate that.... why not just put the total price I'll have to pay on it?). By the time you bring it in from the US, though.... you'll have to pay increased shipping, VAT and import duties. Don't know the figures for where you are, but here in the UK, VAT is currently 20% - which they will charge you on combined item and shipping cost, while import tax is about 4.5%. That pretty quickly eats up any price difference, plus you can typically forget about returns being practical. The only way to do it if you're going to buy from the states is wait til you happen to be over there anyhow.

Otherwise, not sure why the price difference - I can only assume the European market is as a rule prepared to pay the higher price, or they wouldn't be able to charge it. I love Buzz stuff myself, but there's a lot of it is just beyond what I consider reasonable (I'd adore an L-2A, but I just can't justify the price of a good a2 in a nylon windbreaker...). Things do tend to be more expensive i the UK in general. Less competition, maybe. If what you want is the wool peacoat, I'd look elsewhere - seems to me it'w not hard to find a great one in most any Army surplus shop for significantly less than the Buzz option.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Well prices of certain goods are 20% higher in Europe than in the USA. The European importer/retailer, ELC in this case, has to pay the importing price + shipping + insurance. The total amount is charged with VAT and import duties upon arrival in EU. Around 20%. Whenever the shop sells this good, it charges again another round of VAT. VAT forever!

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
yes VAT probably determines a price increase,at any rate it seems to be exaggerated in my opinion...a question,is the VAT not applied in the USA?

I live in ITALY,so in EU as the UK,but i think i should buy from USA or Japan rather then England to save....I think it's ridiculous,isn't it?

Cocluding,it's really all because of VAT?

Edward is correct here as far as what things most likely will cost. As far as your question goes, they do not have VAT in the US. There is sales tax, as Edward said, but that is not levied on exports.

I buy stuff from the US, import it to France. If I use USPS, it's about 50/50 chance that the French VAT and customs duties are added on by the French Post, the bureaucrats are lazy at times, and I get a deal. If I use UPS or Fedex, the VAT and customs duties are added on always, their systems are accurate.

And yes, it is ridiculous, however VAT brings in more money as tax income to any European country than the income tax (which is ridiculously high in here). Somebody somehow has to pay for the Greeks...

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Some US states do not charge a sales tax on clothes unless a particular item exceeds a certain high price threshhold. I believe it's called a "luxury tax."

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I don't know in the rest of Europe but in my country, besides VAT, we have too a luxury tax for tobacco, jewelry, cars and other things including leather garments :mad: Shops that sell US brands like Schott - there is one inside a mall market around here - are ridiculously expensive. [huh]

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Familiar Face
can anybody suggest me a surplus web-store where i can find this pea coat type(corduroy pockets) in like new conditions?

PS:I've a 42 chest and i'm 178 cm tall,weight 82 kg....so i'd probably need a 42R SIZE?!?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Vintagetrends.com has a great selection. Just find a coat and then have Gary the owner to take a look at it and make sure there are no defects. I got a 1968 pea coat from there and it was in near mint condition.

I normally wear a 40 suit and went with a 38 per JanSolo's suggestion. Fits perfect.

Although all the measurements are on description.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn