Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson's Sales at History Preservation Associates

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi All,

I thought some might appreciate the tip that there are sales on some Buzz Rickson's coats at History Preservation Associates. (Scroll through for the sales.)

The prices are brought down to Aero, Eastman, and Lost Worlds levels, instead of being out of this world.

Coats on sale include the recently discussed (here and here) 1930’s & 1940’s Leather Flying Jacket Civilian Model and 1930’s – 1940’s Aviation/Motoring Jacket Civilian Model, which has recently been rebranded as the"Coast Guard Style Leather Jacket".

(A humble suggestion for Buzz Rickson's: come up with easier names!)

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I noticed this also. One more thought to add - if anyone here is looking for a Buzz Rickson's B-2 jacket, HPA's price is really, really good given the huge strength of the Japanese Yen. The maximum size is a 44 though...

Noel

ronbo

Familiar Face
I got a Buzz Rickson B-15 C in size 48(!) a few years back and I LOVE this jacket. I recently contacted HPA to get another (green D version) and they no longer can get them in 48. I can understand this as it IS a huge size. I feel VERY blessed I found the one I did. I am normally a 46 but the 48 feels great having a little extra room. The Buzz RIckson jackets are like going back in time to the 50's and knowing someone in supply. SUPERB -Ronbo

thor

Call Me a Cab
I just came back from US Navy duty in Yokosuka, Japan and found a Buzz Rickson retail store right outside the base; huge inventory of BR clothes and jackets! I scored a BR N-1 Navy deck jacket in the impossible-to-find size XXL! Beautiful jacket (it's my new go-to winter coat). So glad I grabbed it there in Japan as it's alot cheaper to buy over there (about half the price of buying one in the States).

pauleway

Practically Family
I just came back from US Navy duty in Yokosuka, Japan and found a Buzz Rickson retail store right outside the base; huge inventory of BR clothes and jackets! I scored a BR N-1 Navy deck jacket in the impossible-to-find size XXL! Beautiful jacket (it's my new go-to winter coat). So glad I grabbed it there in Japan as it's alot cheaper to buy over there (about half the price of buying one in the States).

I have the same jacket in XL, great jacket. I wear a size 42 usually, so this is the first time I've ever worn an XL. Their sizing in Japan is a little different than in the US!

thor

Call Me a Cab
I usually wear a 46/48 depending on the style of jacket (and manufacturer) and the XXL was a perfect fit with enough room for a thick sweater to be worn.
The sizes for BR do vary; the N-1 XXL measures 26" pit to pit. I tried on a size 46 BR B-10 jacket at the store and it was a bit snug (and way too short in the body length). Nice to be able to try on various BR jacket styles and find one that fits without guessing at a size when ordering on-line.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Just scored an XL N1 - perfect( snug fit). But in another batch I couldn't get into an XL at all. Either an earlier batch or a change in the block for Europe?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In addition to different batches from different years, Buzz in fact also makes different versions of the N-1. There is a slimmer William Gibson collection.

Ishmael

Practically Family
For sure, the BR n-1 line is confusing.

There are essentially two versions. The $350 one Boyo mentions has the lighter grey alpaca. In the current catalog it's listed as BR12030 (Navy) and BR12031 (Khaki).

http://bookshelf.wisebook3.jp/bookstore/h5/toyoenterprise/2500/#39

The more expensive version is labeled Demotex-ed and has the brownish alpaca. It's listed in the current catalog as BR12267 (Navy) and BR12032 (Khaki). Runs around 550, but there is another "sea water" version (BR12268-Navy) (BR11549-Khaki) of that that runs another 30 bucks or so.....My understanding is that the brown alpaca is treated with something to make it less itchy, but don't quote me on that....

The above two version fit differently. The cheaper one is less fitted. More room in the shoulders. Additionally, there is also sizing variations between the navy and khaki for both the cheaper and more expensive versions. (I think, maybe that was for the Real McCoys model? Sorry getting confused.....)

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
There are also some special editions with various patches on them. What's interesting about these is the connection back to Thor's trip to Yokosuka (or as the servicemen say Yo-kOO-suu-ka). The description in the BR catalog for the Navy Department patch model notes that these patches were embroidered in the little workshops around the Yokosuka base.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For sure, the BR n-1 line is confusing.

There are essentially two versions. The $350 one Boyo mentions has the lighter grey alpaca. In the current catalog it's listed as BR12030 (Navy) and BR12031 (Khaki).

http://bookshelf.wisebook3.jp/bookstore/h5/toyoenterprise/2500/#39

The more expensive version is labeled Demotex-ed and has the brownish alpaca. It's listed in the current catalog as BR12267 (Navy) and BR12032 (Khaki). Runs around 550, but there is another "sea water" version (BR12268-Navy) (BR11549-Khaki) of that that runs another 30 bucks or so.....My understanding is that the brown alpaca is treated with something to make it less itchy, but don't quote me on that....

The above two version fit differently. The cheaper one is less fitted. More room in the shoulders. Additionally, there is also sizing variations between the navy and khaki for both the cheaper and more expensive versions. (I think, maybe that was for the Real McCoys model? Sorry getting confused.....)
From what gathered from some friends is that the lining in the more expensive version is much nicer. As for the Demotex-ed label
"Exact copy of the original DEMOTEX-ED moth-proofing labels often found on the alpaca linings of vintage jackets have been reproduced using vintage shuttle looms."
I guess they do have serious moth problems in Japan as most of their used repro jackets' knit parts have great number of holes in them.:p

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I notice they actually supply a guide and stencil to do it. I like it, it gives it a little edge without looking too manufactured.

Ishmael

Practically Family
From what gathered from some friends is that the lining in the more expensive version is much nicer. As for the Demotex-ed label
"Exact copy of the original DEMOTEX-ED moth-proofing labels often found on the alpaca linings of vintage jackets have been reproduced using vintage shuttle looms."
I guess they do have serious moth problems in Japan as most of their used repro jackets' knit parts have great number of holes in them.:p

Where did you see that Sloan?

Ishmael

Practically Family
Sorry I quoted the wrong post. Trying to figure out which company/jacket Sloan was referring to.
Thanks Butte, didn't realize Pike Brothers did that. But I really don't want to import one into Japan.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy