Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Cream of Wheat' man gets grave marker

Story

I'll Lock Up
300h.jpg

A box of Cream of Wheat is shown in Detroit, Thursday, June 14, 2007. The man widely believed to be the model for the Cream of Wheat man, a smiling white-hatted chef whose face has greeted breakfasting Americans for more than a century, finally has a grave marker bearing his name and image. Frank L. White died in 1938 may have been an American icon. His grave in Leslie, Mich., bore only a tiny concrete marker with no name. That ended Wednesday, June 13 when a rose granite stone and etching of what is believed to be his likeness were placed at his burial site. (AP Photo)

Full article

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2007/06/14/cream_of_wheat_man_gets_grave_marker/

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My old dad made me Cream of Wheat practically every morning when I was going to school in the 1960's. I left the house with the halo around my head every day. That Cream of Wheat feeling is still with me today.

(Kinda like Wheatena too!)

-dixon cannon

Rafter

Suspended
I'm a "Quaker Oats" guy.
It has more grit and substance than "Cream of Wheat".

Never liked "Cream Of Wheat".
Especially ever since I saw the episode of "All In The Family" when they are all sick and Edith's cousin Maude takes care of them. She prepares a delicious breakfast for Edith, Gloria and Mike. But poor Archie gets a bowl of cream of wheat and swiss cheese!
I'll never forget that look of disgust on his face!

maude.jpg
Archie.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like hospital food

The first time I had Cream of Wheat was when I was in the hospital for 5 days in 1982 having my son, who is no longer with us. I loved it. When I got home I bought some and made it with milk, but discovered I prefer it with water like it was prepared in the hospital. That settles it, Cream of Wheat is going on the grocery list.
I reckon my mom and dad didn't like it as children so never had my grandmother serve it to us younguns. My parents were considerate like that. :)
Nice article. Thanks for sharing it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was a little girl I was fascinated by the advertising characters on boxes and cans -- I used to take them out of the cupboard and play with them like dolls: the Cream of Wheat Man, the Quaker Oats Man, Aunt Jemima, the Jolly Green Giant, the Morton Salt Girl, and the pole-vaulter/shot-putter/javelin-thrower or whatever he was from the Wheaties box. I'd even try to give them voices and make them have conversations. Sometimes my mother would cross me up and buy a store-brand product with no character on the label, and I'd have the rest of the characters trying to solve the mystery of wherever the missing one had gone.

Cream of Wheat Man was always my favorite, though -- and there's still no better breakfast on a cold winter morning.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
When I was a little girl I was fascinated by the advertising characters on boxes and cans -- I used to take them out of the cupboard and play with them like dolls: the Cream of Wheat Man, the Quaker Oats Man, Aunt Jemima, the Jolly Green Giant, the Morton Salt Girl, and the pole-vaulter/shot-putter/javelin-thrower or whatever he was from the Wheaties box. I'd even try to give them voices and make them have conversations. Sometimes my mother would cross me up and buy a store-brand product with no character on the label, and I'd have the rest of the characters trying to solve the mystery of wherever the missing one had gone.

Cream of Wheat Man was always my favorite, though -- and there's still no better breakfast on a cold winter morning.

LizzieMaine, did the Tidy Bowl man ever take them out on a three hour tour? And what role did the Clabber Girl get? :D

Thank you, Story. It's refreshing to read good news about historic advertising icons. :)

Lee

LizzieMaine

Bartender
MrNewportCustom said:
LizzieMaine, did the Tidy Bowl man ever take them out on a three hour tour? And what role did the Clabber Girl get? :D

Tidy Bowl Man was cruel and harsh to his first mate, Uneeda Biscuit Boy, who tried to lead a mutiny and failed because, after all, what hope does a five year old in a raincoat have against TB-Man and his sinister henchman, the Arm and Hammer arm and hammer? All the passengers were put to sea in an open boat, but were finally picked up and taken to safety on board Sir Thomas Lipton's yacht.

The Clabber Girl and the Calumet Indian Chief collaborated on baking-powder biscuits for the homecoming party while Mr. Clean and the Old Dutch lady grumbled in the pantry about all the dishes they'd have to wash that night. Even Tony the Tiger and his estranged cousin the Esso Tiger agreed to patch up their differences for the great and festive occasion.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Even Tony the Tiger and his estranged cousin the Esso Tiger agreed to patch up their differences for the great and festive occasion.

...rumor has it those two ate Snap, Crackle & Pop. :eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, this thread certainly got sidetracked/hijacked. Must have been the Red Devil Deviled Ham devil.
My favorite way to enjoy Creme of Wheat was to mix it half and half with Wheatena, and have it with brown sugar or maple syrup. Yummmmmmm!!!!!
BTW, I was once on one of Thomas Lipton's sailboats, the Shamrock V. It was tied up at the pier at South St Seaport during the Statue of Liberty Centennial. A friend worked for Lipton and got me a free pass. Very very very very cool sailboat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner