Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creating a Vintage Desktop - Suggestions & Advice Wanted

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Personal items based on who's desk it will be. Pictures of wife and kids, old army pics (if you decide the desk is of a vetran, lots of ANZAC troops after the great war), extra cufflinks, etc.

Perhaps develop a personna for the desk of someone who might have worked at the town hall. That would turn the entire building into an accessory for your desk.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The carbon-paper is on-hold for me at OfficeWorks. I'll go and pick it up tomorrow morning.

I like the ANZAC idea, Kiwilrdg. I may not be able to make it so overt (like having a hat and badges and such everywhere), but what I might do is combine one idea with another.

While it's supposed to be a 'generic' or 'typical' desk of the era, there's no problem in it being the desk of a specific 'person' or type of person. Victor Brunswick suggested the desk of a writer. Perhaps a writer and former soldier, trying to sell his war-stories about the Western Front, to a magazine in the 1920s or 30s, to make some extra money for himself, since he can't survive on his army pension.

Perhaps a folded-open letter from the publisher of a magazine telling him that his stories are "too excitable and fantastical" for their publication, and they have to turn him down.

But I like the ANZAC idea, I think it's a good one. Thank you.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
But I like the ANZAC idea, I think it's a good one. Thank you.

As a US vetran who works in an office full of vetrans I know that most of us have some momento of our service somewhere on our desks.
I like the sounds of some of the stories that your desk might tell.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm using my Underwood to type up a 'zine (a small, self-published written work) about the history of the typewriter, which I intend to sell at the pen show.

I may scan it onto my computer and post it here...maybe. When the time comes.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I'm using my Underwood to type up a 'zine (a small, self-published written work) about the history of the typewriter, which I intend to sell at the pen show.

That would be a good item to have on the desk, or in the typewriter. The Idea you had for a rejection letter could be because of the futuristic writing.;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have just been typing almost nonstop for 2 hours and I've done about four pages of typewriting.

My fingers are KILLING ME!! It's fun, but boy, oh, boy, is it ever a workout!

My plan is to type out the entire 'zine on my typewriter, and then photocopy the pages into 'zines. Staple or sew them together and sell them at the show. But I'll keep the original typewritten manuscript on my desk at the show, as a sort of display-piece. It might be neat.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I used to have a cut-glass ashtray somewhere around the house! I forgot what the hell happened to it.

IF I find it, I'll use it. If not, I'll just buy a cheap one and use that. I can't imagine they cost much.

I added another piece to my display.

It probably won't be ON the desk, but next to it. A really nice vintage, red leather briefcase. Even if I don't display it, it will be extremely handy for transporting my paperwork and such, to and from the show.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I am a little bit closer to my goal.

My carbon-paper has arrived. 24 sheets.

I also have an old typewriter-ribbon tin, which I can use as a prop.

And a neat red, leather briefcase. I'll use it to transport all the small things there and back, to the show. And it can sit on the floor next to the table as decoration.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A friend of mine spread the word about my desktop idea to the entire Melbourne Pen Group last night, and made the suggestion that it could become a tablewide display with items contributed by all members of the club, instead of just being my own little, humble effort.

So far, members have offered to contribute stuff like old Kodak Brownies, rotary telephones, and other bits and pieces. I drew up a list of everything we might need and sent it out to all the members, and we'll see what the end result is.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It's purely for the show. It's a one-day exhibit for the Melbourne Pen Show in November.

Sadly, I'm not tidy enough to maintain such a desktop in every day life. I wish I was...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The show is three weeks away. At the start of November, I'll post the details about it in the EVENTS board so that any Melbournians or Victorians can come and see it if they like. I just hope that everything comes together alright for our club's display.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Before white-out came along people used typewriter erasers -- round discs with a small bristle brush attached for sweeping the crumbs out of the machine. The rubber part was very hard and gritty, and it was very easy to rub a hole thru the paper if you weren't careful.

I don't think anybody makes these anymore, but they're often found in the back of old desk drawers.

I remember, as a kid, having one of those in the house that I'd use when messing around with the typewriter. The thing was bloody awful. It didn't erase, and did indeed make holes in the paper.

The first solution we had that worked at all was called 'correctype' (sp?) which was a small sheet of paper that you'd insert between the ribbon and paper and then type over. The key stroke would imprint some white stuff from the face-down side of the correctype over the letter you wanted to cover, and you'd type the correct letter over it. It wasn't perfect, but it was a sight better than the results of the eraser.

Did this stuff exist as far back as your display emulates?

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Sadly, white-out/liquid paper didn't show up until the 1950s, so that won't be included in my exhibit. Typewriter erasers surely existed, but I don't think I'll be able to find one. I have heard of correcting tape/paper such as you describe, but I'm not sure if it dates back as far as the Interwar period.

Another piece I'll be bringing along to the show is my old suitcase!

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

I bought this thing well over ten years ago, when I was a kid, from a shop that doesn't exist anymore. It sold all these reproduction vintage nicknacks, and they sold suitcases as well. I bought this from that shop because I was on an Indiana Jones kick at the time, and I wanted a suitcase like what I'd seen in the movies. I must've been about 8 or 10 at the time, I think.

I only used this thing like...TWICE in my life. Once for a school camp, and once for a sleepover at a friend's house. Ever since, it's spent the last 10+ years sleeping in my closet. I just haven't found a reason for using it yet.

I figure, I can load all my props and display-pieces into it, and use it to transport my display to the pen-show. And then during the show, it can sit next to the table as an added exhibit to add to the theme, then I can just use it to carry everything home in again.

Amazingly, I still have the two keys which lock the catches on the front! And they still work!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The Pen Show is just a couple of weeks away now.

I found these photographs online:

kenmuslb.jpg

This is the kind of look I'm trying to emulate for my exhibit during the pen-show.

Or for that matter, this:

Typewriter-on-desk.jpg

I have most of the pieces necessary, but anything else would be great.

Among my friends, I have people contributing...

- Old magazines.
- Rotary telephone.
- Vintage camera.
- Smoking paraphernalia.
- 1930s inkstand.

I know it's a lot to ask people to bring stuff along, which is why I'm bringing a lot of the stuff myself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto