Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creme de la Mer and other indulgances/guilty pleasures

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
Oh those are cute and yeah they will work with vintage. I see you have the fortune of living without the hot sticky hell that is southern humidity. They wouldn't get much wear for me. About four weeks in spring, four in fall, too cold or too hot the rest. But I see how they could be addictive.

Although don't use straight cold cream as I was saying earlier I use a homemade coldprocess soap, then melted down with cleansing cream(like ponds, end result like dove ). In all likelihood it's in my head but I don't feel clean without lather.So it's very similar. Funny contrast homemade cleanser and creme de la mer. But as I said it really works for me.
I think cold cream and a wash rag is just a good as any other cleanser. (I always laugh that Eve Lom sells cold cream, a wash rag, and instructions how to use them for $$$). I think it's the best option for oily/ breakout prone skin. Doesn't dry you out, yet no need for moisturizer. Really this type of skin the less you do the better. I was on a skin board over on makupalley I was literally stunned reading how many products and derm treatments so many people use. And they were looking to try more!!! This is one area I feel being cheap and lazy has been a benefit :)

I am REALLY curious about the homemade coldprocess soap... do you have a recipe and/or directions??

dmoran227

Familiar Face
LittleMissToniJo, I have tons of recipes, directions are a bit harder because a lot depends on what oils you're using. Some come up quick, other take a ton of mixing. Quick answer is you mix lye(or potash) into distilled water, let cool while warming your oils to the same temp(varies depends on oils). Then you pour your lye water into the oil and mix mix mix. When you get to the trace stage( a splatter of the soap will sit on top of mixture) you add in your extras( scent,color, pumice, jojoba beads, herbs, petals etc).
In order to begin you need stick blender wooden spoon, big pot, glass measuring cup, kitchen scale(to weigh oils, majority of recipes use weight not fluid measurements). Lye is VERY caustic I would suggest a long sleeve shirt, kitchen gloves and no small children around. It's quite fun, though not cheaper as quality oils can be costly.And I can honestly say since I started washing my face with homemade soap, I've the clearest skin of my life. Seriously, smooth, glowing, breakouts are nonexistent. Remarkably healthier looking.So the end result is very well worth it in my opinion. There are tons of web sites out there with recipes but most important you need a soap calculator. The best to me is http://soapcalc.net/. There's also a lot of info and recipes. I have no favorite recipe I like to play around. A friend of my mother in law gave me a drum of peanut oil. I found no recipes including peanut oil, I posted on a board I couldn't figure out why. . I was told it's a perfectly fine oil to use, a bit lower than average shelf life(like olive). I used it many batches and they all came out wonderful creamy lather, very moisturizing . I chalked that up to the peanuts lowly reputation.

Some things I've found; Ace Hardware is the only place I've found to by lye locally.Online is certainly in option sometimes I get in a mood though and won't wait. Not at Lowes, home depot, etc. My soaps lather better as a whole when a bit of castor oil is included. I find soaps that include animal fat to work better for me. Whether that be lanolin, or the tallow I make(FREE!the butcher gives me tons of fat) but I do make all vegetable soaps as well. I don't bother with color, I'm not selling them so I need no visual appeal. It's unpredictable, hard to do natural, and an added expense. Also white or offwhite is what soap should look like to me. I save all lemon peels in a bag in the freezer and boil them down with distilled water to mix with lye. After trace I will sometimes add patchouli oil. Divine.:) I have magnolia tree in my yard i will take a jar of a fat( usually coconut oil, cheap, okay to lose a little and add the flowers. I sit the jar in the sun for a few weeks changing the flowers out every few days. My cousin has a rose bush and gives me petals to use. So really every batch is different.A friend gives me In winter I do a clove and orange oil soap( reminds me of those pomanders we used to make :). I really don't think I've done the exact same batch twice. I seem to always include shea butter as I love it so much. But here's the first recipe I ever tried.

All Vegetable Oil Soap
6 oz. coconut oil
3 oz. palm
7 oz. olive oil
2.35 oz. lye
6.4 oz. water

I hope you try it out!. Any questions I'll be glad to answer and I saw on the homemade cosmetics thread there's others here who make soap. Watch out though, it starts with soap, and leads to the majority of cosmetics being homemade!!!

Another thing to watch out for. When you give a bar of your soap to someone usually they'll love it so much, they'll ask you again and again. I've learned the to use the teach a man to fish parable.

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Hello there dmoran227 - and welcome back! I don't know how you lived without your computer so long - ours went last year for a couple of days last year after an electric storm blew up our internet connection - I was completely lost without it!

I apologize if this is duplicated I replied much earlier seems to have POOFED! as my youngest said. Thank you so much. I wasn't completely net free, access at work, on the phone(which I hate). So I got the bill paying, directions etc but not much else. I can say I got a lot done around the house!

I wanted to tell you I had the laser treatment done(the flush around the nose).They zapped a few tiny broken capilaries. I haven't worn concealer in months! Not to say I couldn't benefit from wearing just I value sleep over vanity. I have a bare bones routine that gets me out the door in thirty minutes as long as I've laid out/pressed clothes the night before. The tech did say it's possible for them to return as they are hereditary but I'm happy for now!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I apologize if this is duplicated I replied much earlier seems to have POOFED! as my youngest said. Thank you so much. I wasn't completely net free, access at work, on the phone(which I hate). So I got the bill paying, directions etc but not much else. I can say I got a lot done around the house!

I wanted to tell you I had the laser treatment done(the flush around the nose).They zapped a few tiny broken capilaries. I haven't worn concealer in months! Not to say I couldn't benefit from wearing just I value sleep over vanity. I have a bare bones routine that gets me out the door in thirty minutes as long as I've laid out/pressed clothes the night before. The tech did say it's possible for them to return as they are hereditary but I'm happy for now!

Isn't it funny the amount of work that gets done when there is no internet to distract?!

I'm delighted that the laser worked out for you - that's brilliant! At least the tech said they may return and that's not a sure thing so you could be lucky - fingers crossed! A friend of mine got it done - she said it hurt but the results were well worth it and I don't think they have come back for her either.

I'm getting another laser treatment done this week - Bioskin MicroPeel (apparently Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow are fans) - I loved the results from the one I had done previously. Your face and neck are exfoliated with tiny oxide crystals (feels kind of like being in a mini sandstorm) and infra-red light, and then an ultrasound vacuum massage with oils plumps up your skin.

It's not the most pleasant of facials - in fact the laser is kind of sore - but the results are worth it!

dmoran227

Familiar Face
You're quite right about that MissG, I was so productive I've imposed an every other day internet limit on myself for net browsing. I plan on adding the television on alternating days as well.
Your friend was right it did hurt but nothing like I heard. My friend told me a horror story of his boyfriends laser experience which included screaming and having to grip his hand through the procedure that had me terrified. Not sure if he had a different procedure, has a very low pain tolerance as opposed to my pretty high but it was really nowhere near as bad as I envisioned. The zap is literally a second or two and doesn't linger.
Your procedure sounds really interesting. And anything my present day celeb bff in my head Gwynny endorses I'll consider. I adore her. You're also right about not sounding pleasant. Certainly doesn't go along with my vision of cucumber on the eyes, terry robe, relaxed to the point of bliss facial. The only facials I've ever had were performed by my classmates in cosmetology class in the 80's. I had horrible breakouts on my usually blemish free skin and decided then and there never again. I've never had problem skin(other than the dry/red bits around the nose I mentioned) and the occasional blemish. My homemade soap eradicated the occasional blemish and haven't seen a dry flake since I found lamer. I get compliments frequently and my skin is actually the thing I'm most proud of regarding my appearance. Please believe me I'm not vain the con list dwarf's the pro list. So despite many protests I've avoided any "messing" with my body other than mani/pedi's. I've never even had a massage! Other than cuts I do my own hair. I was even proud of this and felt it went along with the vintage style and sensability I admire and try to employ. I'd decided I was just going to let Father Time work his inevitable damage the same as the lovely ladies back in the day.
But then I brought my son to the derm about a mole, and slid my own little issue in and was told oh the laser will get rid of that in ten minutes. Those little ones are nothing! I made the appointment and they were right! After ten minutes $200 I improved my skin and in turn my self confidence! Then I read where some celeb( not sure think it was Courtney Cox?) said I don't intend to age gracefully, I intend to fight it every step of the way! That along with the success I had with the laser has softened my stance greatly. Don't think I'll ever go under the knife( easy to say I'm still only 41 who knows what advancements will be made and how I'll feel about it at 61) but a pro facial or treatment that improves my self confidence? Why not? You gotta take every little bit of happiness you can wherever you can. There's no righteousness in giving up and giving in.
Wow I seem to write novellas when I post. I need to work on being more concise. Sorry about that. My question is this: how much of an improvement does this treatment do and can you describe the results? I think I do a pretty good job of exfoliating(nubby washrag daily, physcial scrub weekly followed by an chemical cream(lactic acid my favorite since high school). How far and beyond well exfoliated does it go? The oils "plumping" sounds great. Do you know which oils they use? Did you have an issue to clear up or just wanted to improve?

Have you heard the anti pro exfoliation claims, ? I read article a while back, http://www.primped.com.au/blogs/zoe...i-ageing-skincare-advice-ease-up-on-the-peels. Not sure what to think about that. I just don't think skin cells are like ovary eggs or teeth as in you only get what you're born with. My understanding is skin is like hair, constantly growing, shedding etc. But I do believe as with anything else there will be the ones who overdo it.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Well I went for the facial last night and although briefly uncomfortable (some areas of the face/neck are worse than others) it was worth it - my skin was glowing afterwards (I even got the tram home with just a slick of lipstick - that's how nice my skin looked! And I NEVER leave the house without a full face of make-up!). I was chatting to the girl at the salon and she said that the more treatments you have the better your skin will look. She took some before/after photos of people that used this treatment (for various complaints ranging from acne to just looking worn out) and there was one guy who had 5 treatments and honestly he looked like his younger brother - it literally took years off him.

She concentrates the microdermabrasion on any areas you might be concerned about and works on them. For me I got the facial to brighten up my skin and got her to do some work on my crow's feet - they look vastly improved after (I'm also using Kiehl's Double Strength Wrinkle Filler and it's brilliant!). It's quite expensive (€150 per treatment) but I feel it's worth it to get one every couple of months (you can also buy a package and save on it if you wish).

She said that the first layer of the skin is removed with the crystals so you have to wear an SPF every day for the next 5 days - I wear SPF 30 every day so no problems there. The oils used after (not sure what is in them) are used in along with a machine that massages the collagen cells and gets them to plump up. In the end she also gave me a neck/shoulder/arms and hands massage - heavenly!

That's interesting what Courtney Cox was saying - I also intend to do whatever I can (within reason) to stave off time and tide - I don't think I would touch Botox or fillers but there's loads of other things to do to keep looking your best - hopefully, like you, by the time any of the heavy duty stuff is needed hopefully less invasive treatments will be available!

I did hear anything about the anti-exfoliation claims - I too thought that skin cells renew themselves every few weeks - either way I don't think exfoliating every couple of weeks is any harm - well hopefully not!!!!!!!

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Well I went for the facial last night and although briefly uncomfortable (some areas of the face/neck are worse than others) it was worth it - my skin was glowing afterwards (I even got the tram home with just a slick of lipstick - that's how nice my skin looked! And I NEVER leave the house without a full face of make-up!). I was chatting to the girl at the salon and she said that the more treatments you have the better your skin will look. She took some before/after photos of people that used this treatment (for various complaints ranging from acne to just looking worn out) and there was one guy who had 5 treatments and honestly he looked like his younger brother - it literally took years off him.

She concentrates the microdermabrasion on any areas you might be concerned about and works on them. For me I got the facial to brighten up my skin and got her to do some work on my crow's feet - they look vastly improved after (I'm also using Kiehl's Double Strength Wrinkle Filler and it's brilliant!). It's quite expensive (€150 per treatment) but I feel it's worth it to get one every couple of months (you can also buy a package and save on it if you wish).

She said that the first layer of the skin is removed with the crystals so you have to wear an SPF every day for the next 5 days - I wear SPF 30 every day so no problems there. The oils used after (not sure what is in them) are used in along with a machine that massages the collagen cells and gets them to plump up. In the end she also gave me a neck/shoulder/arms and hands massage - heavenly!

That's interesting what Courtney Cox was saying - I also intend to do whatever I can (within reason) to stave off time and tide - I don't think I would touch Botox or fillers but there's loads of other things to do to keep looking your best - hopefully, like you, by the time any of the heavy duty stuff is needed hopefully less invasive treatments will be available!

I did hear anything about the anti-exfoliation claims - I too thought that skin cells renew themselves every few weeks - either way I don't think exfoliating every couple of weeks is any harm - well hopefully not!!!!!!!

Thank you MissG, I think I understand it now. Besides the "super" exfoliation, the oil plumping is able to get to the layer of skin below what one could get to on their own? Certainly one couldn't get to massaging(and I assume in turn stimulating) the collagen cells. Fascinating. I saw some before/after pics of a "resurfacing" treatment at the derm office, they were amazing. I'd love it if something could be done about my own crow's lines that I'm starting to see.
Yeah no botox for me either, a lady in the office had it done last year. She's in her mid 50's and she was not happy with it. Her lines did disappear but she didn't look like herself. Also she didn't look say in her 30's. She looked like a 50 someodd year old who'd had Botox.(her words not mine). Not sure if the dr injected too much or one needs to alter other things to match(hair, dress,skin everywhere else) but it did look a bit off. I'm going to tell her about this treatment. She's a very nice lady.

I was wondering if you'll do me a favor. I've put in a request for the family book I mentioned on here( tracing my maternal grandmothers family surname- Mulry she married the Moran). I am next in line to receive them. Once I do, and do a little modern day research and see if I can come up with anything. Could you maybe help me out with some info about the county and such and maybe what sites I could check out? My oldest daughter is interested in doing this with me as well. I've done just a few quick superficial sites hard to know what to look for yet, but you may be able to give more info like the name of the local newspaper where I'll be looking etc... I completely understand if you don't have time.

ps. you're the second person who's mentioned the kiehls serum. I like Kiehls vibe, used when I lived in NY, I think I may try some. I absolutely LOVE that it's silicone free.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
I would love to try the La Mer as I have similar skin to you Celtic ladies (Irish ancestry on all sides of my family). I'm pale as a ghost with rosacea on my cheeks and nose. Do you think this would work for oily skin as well?

Right now my biggest indulgence would be my skincare, Sage Skin Care. I found it 10 years ago whilst reading a beauty review site and it's the only thing that keeps my skin reasonably clear! I use all of the products and I LOVE LOVE her acid peel, which I do once a week to get rid of dead surface skin.

I am also coveting laser treament for my face to make it less red. An old boss of mine used to have it done but she said you have to keep having it done. Is that true? Right now I am on a script for Niacinimide (sp?) and that has helped a lot with taking away redness. But my nose gets red rather easily and it's embarrassing!

The other indulgence is haircare. Hubby knows not to mess with me on that. I buy what works for me. Sometimes I get it at Sally's (my shampoo) and sometimes I pay way more. I have very fine, colored hair and if I'm paying a good bit to have it colored, then I am going to take care of it so it stays nice as long as possible.

ferula98

New in Town
Oh how i want some! I know a couple of people who use it and say its amazing. I simply dont think i can afford it though. I am 23 at the moment so maybe its an investment for future years when my salary is a little more healthy!

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
My guilty pleasure is Lush's Ultra Bland cleanser. Omg that smell.....so lovely.

if anybody knows how to duplicate that smell- let me know PLEASE! I'm going to be making some cold cream soap soon, and if I can have that smell in it, instead of using the ultra bland (which is just fancy cold cream in my mind) i would be in heaven during the winter months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails