Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creme de la Mer and other indulgances/guilty pleasures

dmoran227

Familiar Face
I just received my first Mason Pearson Handy sensitive brush in the mail! I have a strong feeling that this will become one of my favorite indulgences very fast!!

BEST VINTAGE STYLE BLOG NAME EVER!!!!!!!!

Mason Pearson brushes have no equal in my opinion.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I find that myself along with my best friend are the spenders in the circle of friends and acquaintances. She more so than me. Neither one of us feel guilty because we enjoy the treats. Quite honestly we are also the most vain. Hahahaha. There are a few things I won't do -- I don't really do big big name brands like Dior, Juicey, gosh I can't even think of other designers. I am more like high end of the middle of the road. I will drop hundreds in one visit to LUSH. $10 for a bar of soap! I often hear exclaimed. Yes, $10, but it makes me happy. I also enjoy Lollia perfume (often 45$ a bottle). When it comes to make up I like my second tier brands like Too Faced, Urban Decay, Sugar Pill, Benefit and the like. It makes me feel good without SPLURGING! Now shoes however... don't get me started on my coveted Melissa's. :-D

On a semi related note... The owner/creator of LUSH says that the ingredients to Creme De La Mar are pretty equivalent to those in Ponds cold creme. For those who use CDLM, would you consider doing a test? For 1 month use only CDLM on one side of your face and Ponds on the other? That could be quite the post to read!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
LolitaHaze - I've used Pond's Creams in the past and my skin erupted! I have tried so many creams over the years and maybe it's just one tiny ingredient that doesn't work with my skin but CDLM (and the lovely light Keraskin) work so well for me - particularly during the colder weather.

I also have a tub of the CDLM lip balm (so lovely on - lasts for hours!) - it was a treat when I was expecting but I nearly blanched when the girl at the counter told me how much it was! I still went ahead and got it though!!!!!!!

dmoran227

Familiar Face
I find that myself along with my best friend are the spenders in the circle of friends and acquaintances. She more so than me. Neither one of us feel guilty because we enjoy the treats. Quite honestly we are also the most vain. Hahahaha. There are a few things I won't do -- I don't really do big big name brands like Dior, Juicey, gosh I can't even think of other designers. I am more like high end of the middle of the road. I will drop hundreds in one visit to LUSH. $10 for a bar of soap! I often hear exclaimed. Yes, $10, but it makes me happy. I also enjoy Lollia perfume (often 45$ a bottle). When it comes to make up I like my second tier brands like Too Faced, Urban Decay, Sugar Pill, Benefit and the like. It makes me feel good without SPLURGING! Now shoes however... don't get me started on my coveted Melissa's. :-D

On a semi related note... The owner/creator of LUSH says that the ingredients to Creme De La Mar are pretty equivalent to those in Ponds cold creme. For those who use CDLM, would you consider doing a test? For 1 month use only CDLM on one side of your face and Ponds on the other? That could be quite the post to read!

Lush seems to be a common treat for the ladies around here. I am dying to try their Karma scent.
Melissa's? Do tell, I am a shoe lover as well, carry vintage styles?

I think there is some confusion somewhere with the lamer/pond's cold cream comparison. All cold Cream is based upon variations of the oil, wax usually beeswax, water,. There are numerous variations but the they all share these three ingredients. So you could compare cold cream to any cream that contains these as well.Not very many moisturizers contain beeswax or any wax for that matter. . Nivea creme however is VERY similar and shares many of the same ingredients as la mer even down to the scent. On the surface it's such a good dupe that it's widely sold as lamer in counterfeit containers. It's estimated most lamer samples sold on ebay are actually nivea creme. The base formula is the same but that's it. Nivea is a good basic cream. Lamer has seaweed extract, anti-oxidants etc not found in the nivea. I've used nivea in the past, I don't get the same results as with the la mer. Several beauty bloggers have done comparisons. Believe me I'd love it if the Nivea worked as well.

Last edited:

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Miss Golightly... I understand that far too well. Pond's is great for me, while others like Jergens or Boots break me out instantly!

Dmoran227... That makes sense different variations. I just can't justify the price right now when Ponds is so good to me. Maybe once I have a job, then it will be different. LOL Karma is a very very earthy patchouli scent. The soap is nice and so is the perfume and shampoo bar. There is also a bubble bar in that scent, but I am not sure how it smells once in the tub. I know there are people that shop just for the Karma scented lotion, but I didn't think it smelled that much like the soap. Similar for sure, but a lot lighter and less intense as the soap. Now Melissa's are a Brazilian shoe. They are modern $$$ jelly shoes. I don't like all their styles, but there are some that are amazing. (I only buy Melissa's that are on sale), so I have yet to get any Westwood's with the hearts. Those strangely enough go quite nicely with vintage attire.
westwood_melissa_shoes.jpg

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Oh those are cute and yeah they will work with vintage. I see you have the fortune of living without the hot sticky hell that is southern humidity. They wouldn't get much wear for me. About four weeks in spring, four in fall, too cold or too hot the rest. But I see how they could be addictive.

Although don't use straight cold cream as I was saying earlier I use a homemade coldprocess soap, then melted down with cleansing cream(like ponds, end result like dove ). In all likelihood it's in my head but I don't feel clean without lather.So it's very similar. Funny contrast homemade cleanser and creme de la mer. But as I said it really works for me.
I think cold cream and a wash rag is just a good as any other cleanser. (I always laugh that Eve Lom sells cold cream, a wash rag, and instructions how to use them for $$$). I think it's the best option for oily/ breakout prone skin. Doesn't dry you out, yet no need for moisturizer. Really this type of skin the less you do the better. I was on a skin board over on makupalley I was literally stunned reading how many products and derm treatments so many people use. And they were looking to try more!!! This is one area I feel being cheap and lazy has been a benefit :)

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yep i'll agree with you there. Although i think i posted earlier i do like Liz Earle cleanse and polish with the muslin cloth as the smell is so divine. But actually it's more drying than cold cream, so i use it in the morning. I have been using Boots cold cream for yonks now, cold water to tone and i exfoliate with a muslin or a flannel and i have had far less breakouts or dry patches than i have ever had, EVER!

Lusty Haze

New in Town
I've wanted to try CDLM for years now, but it's so ridiculously expensive, I couldn't justify it.

Do they do samples or do you just have to buy it to try it?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I've wanted to try CDLM for years now, but it's so ridiculously expensive, I couldn't justify it.

Do they do samples or do you just have to buy it to try it?

CDLM does have samples (when I buy mine the lady at the counter usually throws in a sample or two) however I'm not sure if they would just hand them out - maybe you might have to arrange a consultation with them but I suppose the best thing to do would just be to ask them for one?

However I have an unopened sample of their ridiculously expensive serum if you want it? If so just PM me and I'll send it to you - it's lovely!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
My latest indulgence is a clarisonic plus. My new meds (hormone supplements) have made my skin go haywire so I'm hoping this will sort it out. I've always has lovely skin since my teens and I'm just getting so stressed out with it now. It was so expensive that the credit card company phoned me to check that I had actually placed the order. (It was £180.00- yikes!)

Lusty Haze

New in Town
CDLM does have samples (when I buy mine the lady at the counter usually throws in a sample or two) however I'm not sure if they would just hand them out - maybe you might have to arrange a consultation with them but I suppose the best thing to do would just be to ask them for one?

However I have an unopened sample of their ridiculously expensive serum if you want it? If so just PM me and I'll send it to you - it's lovely!
Oh my, would you really? That would be awesome, thank you! I'll PM you now :)

Eta; Oh no! It won't let me PM you - is that because I'm a new poster? Do you have an email address instead? x

Last edited:

Anais

New in Town
I have tried Creme de la Mer, but it doesn't agree with my skin. La Prairie however... even more extravagant, but that's the stuff!! I like the technology behind La Prairie, but as I try to keep my skincare as natural/chemical free as possible, I do not use it at the moment. Their skin caviar is really expensive ($390 for a little 50ml jar) but so, so lush :)

Miss Retro Chic

New in Town
I always go back to Oil of Olay products. I've used every single one of them and they are all great. Now I want to buy their Regenerist 3 Zone cream. I got a sample from the store and I liked it.

I've tried other creams/lotions, but Oil of Olay simply seems to agree best with my skin. I always get loads of compliments on the smoothness of my skin when I use it.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
As promiced my Clarisonic review:
Skin Type: Combination (mildly oily T-zone, normal cheeks)
Skin Texture: Very thin and easily damaged
Sensitivity: None
Problems:
-Extreamly small pores that blocked easily with Sebacous Filaments
-Flakey patches from damage during extraction
-Hypergigmentation caused by sun sensitivity in turn caused by use of AHA etc. during the day (with high SPFcream on top) for blocked pores
-Slightly enlarged & stretched pores on cheek at side of nose from wiping heavy cold cream off with cotton pads.
Skincare history: Have had sonic facials years before. Have used manaual facial brush before.Have tried AHAs and Glycolic acid for blocked pores.

Observations on first go: (skin viewed minutly under a magnified mirror)
-First thing I noticed was that the brush head doesn't move-you have to move the brush head in circles on your face manually. There are no physical vibrations to feel- just a humming noise from the brush. Having had sonic facials 12 years previously with something similar to a Clarisonic I wasn't too put off by this.
-Facewash doesn't foam with it- I'd have liked it to- so i applied it to face before using the brush and foamed it on my face, then used the brush. I had to rince my face afterwards with a wet flannel as the brush did not remove the suds.
- Sensitive brush head is soft. Did not cause me any scratches or sore patches. I could have easily used it for 2 mins and not just 1.
- After first use my skin was very clean and very soft. The Sebacous filaments on my chin were gone! It did feel and look the same as having a sonic facial and the results were as good.
-TIP: I find that curling your lower lip over your lower teeth and jutting your chin out (in the same manneras when a man shaves there) when doing your chin area workes much better than using it without doing this.
- Not all flakey's were gone- scrutiny under magniying mirror showed a few minute flakeys left which I removed with tweezers.

Second go:
-Same as above but i noticed a few extreamly tiny blockages in my pores near my nose and on forehead- could not be seen and hardly felt. I think this was from deep debris which hadnt quite made it out of the pore. These were easily and gently extracted- but I think another session would have shifted them just as well. A few tiny flakies were also left around old skin damage sites- but no big deal. I expect them to go completly now that I'm won't have to perform so many extractions of blocked pores (and I stop picking).

After using twice a day for 4 days - I can see my blemishes improving- my hyperpigmentation actually seems to be fading slightly but i'm gettign a few tiny dry spots where my blemishes were - so I'll drop it down to once a day this week.

Overall. I'm pleased so far. This is expensive but I hate sebacous filaments and am always picking & squeezing them and damaging my skin- so to stop that it will probably be worth it. Also, I'm hoping that it will exfoliate my porse so the enlsraged and stretched ones will be able to return to normal over time

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Oh Tishkaminx thank you for the review I've always been curious about it as I am huge exfoliation fan. I use a nubby washcloth every day and I swear i do the same thing when scrubbing(in tiny circles, my nana told me that when I was 13 and it stuck). However I would have never thought to explain it or give as a tip although I find it very helpful with keeping smooth. Similarly I open my mouth really wide to scrub the corners :)

Miss Retro Chic, I think you're right in liking Olay. They are a great drugstore brand. I was checking out foaming cleansers at the drug store to pick up for my niece, reading ingredients and I ended up choosing the sensitive wash in the blue bottle. She is young and must foam and strip although she has the type of skin that would benefit most from cold cream. She was even using a stripping toner and OXY pads. She's been using only the wash and aloe vera gel and is seeing much improvement. I'll soon start pushing the cold cream.

I'm sorry for the delay, my hubby fixes computers quickly EXCEPT for when it's ours. Then it takes months like everything else around the house.
Kind Greetings Miss Sofia and Miss Golightly

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Hello there dmoran227 - and welcome back! I don't know how you lived without your computer so long - ours went last year for a couple of days last year after an electric storm blew up our internet connection - I was completely lost without it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner