Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cricket sweaters

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
5276172988_6d847e6dd4_b.jpg

"Anyone for Tennis?"

5276360210_6941cd30d3_b.jpg

5275772693_27f6abf8c3_b.jpg

5275793257_33c3258b9f_b.jpg

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The problem with most cricket sweaters these days is that they are too long and baggy. This kind of stuff is okay for people who wear their jeans on their hips and sport a large belly but if you're lean and wear high waisted flannels it just doesn't make any sense. I like 'em short and trim fitting. Looks much more stylish in my opinion.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Think I might have to pick up a sleeveless in the old school colours. Good links, chaps! :D

I'm in the need of a new set of affordable whites, but old-fashioned style/material with no branding on them (my current shirt has a logo on the collar maddeningly, and the trousers are best not mentioned). Any ideas?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Think I might have to pick up a sleeveless in the old school colours. Good links, chaps! :D

I'm in the need of a new set of affordable whites, but old-fashioned style/material with no branding on them (my current shirt has a logo on the collar maddeningly, and the trousers are best not mentioned). Any ideas?

Gray-Nicolls tend to be less "in your face" with their branding. I had some of theirs not terribly long ago which were very nice to play in and didn't annoy when in pads.

Saying that, there's a lot of companies which offer whites and you can probably find something to fit the bill.

One thing I would say to be careful of if you are looking for a historical period cut and material is to remember that protective equipment has changed. They might not be conducive to thigh pads, pads, etc.

Have a good old sniff around on the net and you should rustle something up.

BTW, there's a bit of a cricket thread on the the go in the Observation Bar:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?52713-Cricket-willow-and-leather

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Gray-Nicolls tend to be less "in your face" with their branding. I had some of theirs not terribly long ago which were very nice to play in and didn't annoy when in pads.

Saying that, there's a lot of companies which offer whites and you can probably find something to fit the bill.

One thing I would say to be careful of if you are looking for a historical period cut and material is to remember that protective equipment has changed. They might not be conducive to thigh pads, pads, etc.

Have a good old sniff around on the net and you should rustle something up.

BTW, there's a bit of a cricket thread on the the go in the Observation Bar:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?52713-Cricket-willow-and-leather

Why thank you - I shall comb that thread this very minute!

My current whites are Kookaburra - Unfortunately they're very fond of their logo!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Why thank you - I shall comb that thread this very minute!

My current whites are Kookaburra - Unfortunately they're very fond of their logo!

Ah yes, Kookaburra do plaster their logo over EVERYTHING ;)

I was always a GN man ever since using one of their scoops back in the 80s.

Carnage

One of the Regulars
I have two from Smart Turnout, an old school one from my old school and a regimental one. I am very happy with the service I've had from them over the years too.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The problem with most cricket sweaters these days is that they are too long and baggy. This kind of stuff is okay for people who wear their jeans on their hips and sport a large belly but if you're lean and wear high waisted flannels it just doesn't make any sense. I like 'em short and trim fitting. Looks much more stylish in my opinion.

For other sweates I would agree...they need to be short. but the cricket or tennis sweater appears to be longer and cover the high rise of the trousers.
http://marshalljonfisher.wordpress.com/about-the-book/photographs/

I would rather say that modern cricket sweaters sometimes have a smaller V

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Alas, my school is not amongst the colours they supply

They may be able to make you one as a one off perhaps, the one I have is the special one the do for the help the heros charity, so you get a good sweater and soem of the money goes to a worth cause. rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Gentlemen, I Have just seen some cricket sweaters for sale, but instead of the traditional ones which are off-white with coloured trim around waist, neck & arms, the main colours are plain red or green or blue with white trims. Does anyone think that is a good look updating a very old traditional design, or that these classic garments should remain unchanged. Rgds Steve.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen, I Have just seen some cricket sweaters for sale, but instead of the traditional ones which are off-white with coloured trim around waist, neck & arms, the main colours are plain red or green or blue with white trims. Does anyone think that is a good look updating a very old traditional design, or that these classic garments should remain unchanged. Rgds Steve.

I'm sorry Steve, that sounds utterly revolting to me, but I am rather a luddite! ;)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes, I think I know what you mean, I'll stick with the traditional pullover I think. It will be interesting to see what other chaps think. Rgds Steve.

Traditional, Off White, Long Sleeved Cricket Sweater now ordered, just awaiting for delivery, will be very useful as it's gone cold again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW