Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my Aero Long Half Belt order

narwhale

New in Town
Hi all,

I've been mostly lurking around here for the past couple of months absorbing the wealth of knowledge about Aero and leather jackets in general. Now I'm planning on taking the plunge in the next month or two and I'd like some feedback about my impending purchase. If some of these options look familiar then I probably stole it from other members' jackets that I've seen here :) .Any insight on changes you would make or things I forgot is welcome! So here's what I'm thinking at the moment.

Aero LHB
Brown FQHH

-No breast pocket
-No storm cuffs. Thinking about zip cuffs maybe, but not sure.
-Haven't really thought about the inside pockets that much. I don't know how much I would use them, but I'm open to suggestion.
-Cord pocket lining
-Cord kidney panel
-Lining: gabardine or one of the cotton tartans. I live in North Carolina, so for the most part I would be wearing the jacket over a long sleeve shirt in 40-65* F weather.
-I definitely want a fit that is more trim, as I'm not planning on layering that much. I've heard the LHB is a good choice for that, and I also want to find out whether I can get higher armholes for a better fit.
-About a 28" length. I'm 5'11", so this will be about 4" below the belt and halfway down my butt. I think this is a good compromise between the belt length jackets and something like a blazer that completely covers the butt.

Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 185
Normal suit size: 38-39

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing your ideas!

Eric

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Eric,
The Aeroleather Long Halfbelt is an excellent choice. I am sure you've already searched the FL for information about your purchase...
Here some input from me to consider:
Personally I would not opt for zip cuffs, but hey, if you like them go for it. Maybe a button closure is an idea for you?
No outer breast pocket(s) will give the jacket a straight look, if that's what you want. As the LHB is longer than a Highwayman or Halfbelt it could give the top of the jacket a "long" look. If there is a member here on the forum, please post a pic for reference.
If you want a trim or snug fit, just tell Aero. I have a LHB and it is more trim than a Highwayman in standard sizing.
For the inside pockets: I love the vertical "pistol"-type inner pockets with snap-closure. Deep enough to stow away your wallet or cell-phone and easy to acces.
All the other ideas you've mentioned look good to me. Keep in mind that there is a waiting time...
Good luck,
Andy

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Hey Eric,

That jacket sounds great. I also would not do a zip sleeve on that jacket, but just my opinion.

Are you sure about the length? I'm not sure, but that sounds short for that type of jacket. I'm 5'11", 175, size 42 suit and in the picture below, the jacket is 26" in the front and 27" in the back. For reference, if I was going into a standard Highwayman, the length would be 25 inches (according to Amanda). Is the LHB only 3 inches longer?

back-1.png

front2.png

narwhale

New in Town
Thanks for the input, guys. I think you're right about the zipper cuffs. I think they might just get in the way, and I don't have practical use for them other than leaving them open a bit when it gets warm. I don't want button cuffs because of durability. I think I'll end up going with plain, non storm cuffs.

Andy, that's a good point about the breast pocket, too. Maybe the front would be a bit too plain without it. Hopefully I can find some pictures of a LHB sans pocket before I make my final decision. At the moment I could go either way.

HighandDry, I won't swear by my measurements. I just measured a couple of non-leather jackets I had from the bottom of the collar. I have a utility jacket that hits right at my belt that I measured at about 25". Of course, there could be variations in torso size, pant rise, etc. In any case, the important thing is how it looks. I like this picture in terms of length:

P1030221-aerolhbvancouver.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
If I get another Aero it will probably be the LHB in the brown FQHH, so you have good taste! I agree with the other posters about the zip sleeves. The armholes on my Highwayman are plenty high. If you start monkeying with the placement of the armholes, you will be changing the basic pattern of the jacket. Aero might say it is OK, but I would be leery of it.

For inside pockets, I recommend a map style pocket on the right and a G-1 pistol pocket on the left (if you are right handed).

Good luck with your purchase.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
At your height a long half-belt (that stops half way down your back pocket) would be around 27 inches in front and 28.5 from the base of the collar to the bottom hem. IMO.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Better too long than too short. I went back and forth with Amanda a few times and in the end I think my LHB is perfect.

Personally, I like the front pocket - gives the coat a little more dimension. As for the lining - if I were ordering over again it would be gabardine. Easy on and easy off and it's probably the lightest weight (coolest) lining you can get in a LHB.

I like the idea of zippered sleeves. I thought about doing it and not sure why I didn't. It would definitely make the jacket very distinctive.

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Eric,
I have searched the net for you trying to find a LHB without breast pockets, but couldn't find any. Maybe you can try a bit with some photoshopping...
Feel free to abuse my photo.
Andy

IMG00004.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

if I would order such a jacket today these would be the specs of the jacket.

- LongHalfbelt in brown FQHH based on the slimmer 1930s body pattern. NOT on the roomier 1950s pattern.
- Slimmed down sleeves. (Popular with Japanese customers)
- Button cuffs for period look. Cuffs leather lined
- Hercules pockets with real button closure
- One M422a style vertical inner pocket located in the facing
- All pockets lined with either corduroy or brown moleskin
- Bigger M422a/Anj 3 style leather collar which is a bit larger and more pointed than the standard HB collar
- 2 inch leather facing for the inside bottom hem (prevents wear)
- Entire jacket top stitched with olive drab thread
- Jacket fully lined with olive Gabardine

Hope that helps.

QTime

New in Town
JanSolo said:
Hi,

if I would order such a jacket today these would be the specs of the jacket.

- LongHalfbelt in brown FQHH based on the slimmer 1930s body pattern. NOT on the roomier 1950s pattern.
- Slimmed down sleeves. (Popular with Japanese customers)
- Button cuffs for period look. Cuffs leather lined
- Hercules pockets with real button closure
- One M422a style vertical inner pocket located in the facing
- All pockets lined with either corduroy or brown moleskin
- Bigger M422a/Anj 3 style leather collar which is a bit larger and more pointed than the standard HB collar
- 2 inch leather facing for the inside bottom hem (prevents wear)
- Entire jacket top stitched with olive drab thread
- Jacket fully lined with olive Gabardine

Hope that helps.

Sounds like a plan. Is there a picture of the brown moleskin? How do those "slimmed down" sleeves fit? Anyone with experiences?
Is there a picture of the top stiched olive grab?

I´am posting some pictures of me and my LHB today - maybe they´ll help.

Best regards,
Simon.

narwhale

New in Town
More great insight, guys. Here's a quickly photoshopped version of Andy's jacket:

IMG00004.jpg

I think you're right. Without the pocket it makes it look too plain, like an Indy or oversized A2 or something. I will be going with the breast pocket after all.

Jan, those are some more good things to think about. I found a picture of a 30's HB:

aero-3.jpg

That's pretty much the exact fit I want, so I think asking for the 30's style LHB is a great idea. It's hard to tell just from looking at pictures whether I want slimmed sleeves or not, especially when I don't know whether the jackets in the pictures have had it done. If they look like the picture above or the black LHB I posted before I'll be happy. I thought about going with button cuffs, but knowing me I'd get caught on something and pop it off.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Hey, that's me! Darn, I must update that blog sometime...

That photos about 18 mnths old now. There is some great patina developing which i'd love to photograph and post if I get a chance.

There were no modifications to the sleeves or anything else.

Looking at your stats looks like we're the same height and near enough the same size and weight - think i've a slightly bigger chest at 40". The back length measures 24 1/4" and the front 27".

Good luck with your jacket!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I love the HBL. I had one but in FQHH it felt too heavy and stiff but I liked the bi-swing / action back. Great for my shoulders. In fact I've one on order in russett goatskin with an A-2 collar with the press studs for the collar tips.

In the 10 weeks or so that is should arrive, I'll post pics of it.

Dave

narwhale

New in Town
Thanks for all your help, guys! I sent in my order and payment yesterday. I pretty much went with my original idea, and the advice in this thread helped push me in certain directions. Here's my final details:

Brown FQHH (Mark helped convince me that I wouldn't regret going heavyweight even in the relatively mild NC winters)
-Olive Gabardine lining
-No Storm Cuffs
-I did end up keeping the breast pocket
-One pistol pocket on right interior
-All pockets lined in brown corduroy
-Corduroy inside strip for lining protection

I considered going for the lengthened 30's style for slimness, but I preferred most of the details of the regular LHB (one piece back, flap pockets, etc). I simply let Mark know that I wanted a trim fit, and he said it would not be a problem.

Finally, Highanddry was totally right about the length. I remeasured and found that the length I was looking for was more like 30".

So now the wait begins. I will be sure to update this thread with pictures when it arrives.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Sounds like it's going to be a great jacket. Will look forward to hearing about it when it arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou