Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crofut & Knapp Tales

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
jahe6yry.jpg

ume5y8u3.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Great! It's in better condition than the one I have. What's neat about yours and most of the ones I have, is that even though they were sent to different places, from different associate retailers, they have the same handwriting. I'd like to know who at the factory or Fifth Avenue office spent their days writing these out.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
1915-1917 Crofut & Knapp Derby

Lo and Behold, this Knapp-Felt De Luxe Derby showed up as a BIN for $80, so I jumped at it. It clearly shows that after the shop at 244 Fifth Avenue opened, the Dobbs crest had not yet morphed into the standard crest with the border outline and the different typeface. It is basically a reworking of the original crest updating the street number.
CKDobbs244Derby5.jpg
Until the 244 lone address shows up, we'll have to figure that the crest didn't change until after the addition of 620 Fifth Avenue in 1917:
1922TuxedohatTip.jpg

It has a top hat band on it instead of a Derby ribbon. It's not tacked down, but fits well. I can't tell if there was ever a previous ribbon, or if this is original for some unknown reason.
CKDobbs244Derby1.jpg CKDobbs244Derby2.jpg CKDobbs244Derby3.jpg

Vellum Finish, as on my 1906-1909 Knapp-Felt De Luxe.
CKDobbs244Derby4.jpg

The Duplicate number is now on the same factory label as the block and size.
CKDobbs244Derby6.jpg

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
No other information other than it was found in a home in South Norwalk. No idea of the age or its usage. The print in the bottom right says "Beetz Co." There was a P. F. Beetz hat store in New Haven, so could possibly relate to that. Could also be a sign-making company by that name, but I haven't found a record of one.

CKSign.jpg

Brad

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yep, the lady who found it in her nephew's home found me through a Google search and offered it to me first. If I didn't take it, it was going to eBay. I took it!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I wonder what else must be lurking in homes throughout Danbury CT and the surrounding towns. That's where most of the workers who workers for Hat Corp lived . I should start checking out estate sales there!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR