Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CROSS your fingers...

Magus

Practically Family
...send good thoughts...whatever it is you do. :rolleyes:

If you have been following my leather hat box adventures (or errrr....not...lol) You know that I am stitching them by hand which is a long and difficult process. I have made an offer on a machine that will (I believe) meet some of my needs (the corners will still have to be hand stitched). I'll keep you posted!

M

I just tossed some salt over my shoulder and kicked the cat. That usually works.
Seriously, though, Magus. In this age of cheaply made, mass-produced consumer goods, it's heartening to see a real craftsman gear up. Here's sending some good vibes your way.

Magus

Practically Family
Good news...I won the item at a price I could afford!

then...Very BAD.

Then recieved a note from the seller telling me that the $170 shipping amount they quoted was based on incorect information regarding the weight of it...and that it would instead be $215.

A further note revealed that since it would have to be freighted and delivered to my home rather than a business there was an additional $68 or I could drive about 80 miles and pick it up at the Freight drop off at the airport (but that meant finding a truck and or trailer etc). So the shipping cost went to $283...and I said....

"When something is this difficult....there is usually a reason to call things to a halt."

So...no leather stitcher for me. :( Look out hands...here comes the needles and awls!

Thanks for kicking the cat and tossing the salt...it nearly worked!

M

PS...as a side note...I found PRECISELY the machine I need....for $2500...plus shipping. lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavor. I'm sure the payoff of all that hard work will be worth it. What could be better than a bunch of satisfied customers??
As for kicking the cat. PLEASE STOP!!!! My kitties are cringing and so am I...:eek:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe you should go through with the purchase.
It's just a few more bucks... why if a few more of us
order hat boxes that would cover the difference.

I'll be in touch soon.

Magus

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavor. I'm sure the payoff of all that hard work will be worth it. What could be better than a bunch of satisfied customers??
As for kicking the cat. PLEASE STOP!!!! My kitties are cringing and so am I...:eek:

Not to worry Daisy. I havn't kicked one in my life...and won't start now. For me...its all about the Cat Juggling...(for money of course):p

FeltFan...I would except that in spite of offers I recieved...have fronted the money for the box materials myself and with my daughter's wedding in 3 weeks...and my second one in her Soph year of college ( at about $30K/year) and my wife's health difficulties lately...welllll....I just can't swing it. But I apreciate the thoughts and suggestions as I firmly believe "Good counsel bring good decisions". Drop me a note anytime.

M

Did I ever tell ya how to make a cat sound like a dog?
But back on topic: I just have to shake my head at not only the base rates some shipping outfits charge, but also at the "extras" they tack on. Truth is, if you don't need to receive a shipment right away (if you are willing to wait a couple of weeks, say), there are relatively inexpensive ways to skin that cat, so to speak. It's a drag that your deal collapsed on account of shipping costs, especially considering that the seller could have gone with the "slow boat," had his shipping company advised him that such an option were available. I'm guessing that the shipping company doesn't itself offer less-expensive services, and they opted against informing their customer that those services exist elsewhere. I obviously don't know that's the way things went down in this case, but I've witnessed similar scenarios before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24