Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crosshatch Material - Proper Name?

I was once told the name of this stitch/weave by a manufacturer. I recall it being a French word. Any ideas?

DSCF0906-4.jpg

EDIT - HOLD ON, I'M FIXING THE PICTURE

Hanx

Senator Jack

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
slubs is more generic and refers to any random dashes. in a Sears catalogue (i'm quoting from before me) it says "crash-type tweed with decorative slubs of colour". the colour being the typical large flecks or dashes you see on 50s sports jackets.

Doupianni. That's another one I keep forgetting, but that's not what he called it as I would have recognized it when he said it. Perhaps in the end, he was wrong.

I do have a silk jacket that has that weave. The picture I posted is of a sharkskin. I suppose they just copied the weave from the doupianni.

herringbonekid said:
slubs is more generic and refers to any random dashes. in a Sears catalogue (i'm quoting from before me) it says "crash-type tweed with decorative slubs of colour". the colour being the typical large flecks or dashes you see on 50s sports jackets.

well, slubbed is specific to raised fibres - like the ones on Jacks pic and the pink one i posted. Here's what the free dictionary says:

slub (slb)
tr.v. slubbed, slub¬?bing, slubs
To draw out and twist (a strand of silk or other textile fiber) in preparation for spinning.
n.
1. A soft thick nub in yarn that is either an imperfection or purposely set for a desired effect.
2. A slightly twisted roll of fiber, as of silk or cotton

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Senator Jack said:
Maybe he had heard the French word for it and said it to be an egghead. Who knows why people do these things?
I had a business associate who would often pepper his conversation with just enough foreign, esoteric or antiquated references to thoroughly muddy the topic under discussion, often stopping it in its tracks. :eusa_doh:

OED says

Slub

[of obscure origin] a lump on a thread.

Tomasso said:
I had a business associate who would often pepper his conversation with just enough foreign, esoteric or antiquated references to thoroughly muddy the topic under discussion, often stopping it in its tracks. :eusa_doh:

There's always one, isn't there. Apparently it's a sign that the speaker feels intimidated.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21