Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40Cal

One Too Many
Deadpickle, I'd say the crown height has more to do the shape and features of a person's face than with how tall he/she might be. If, for example, you were blessed with a prominant nose, generally speaking you'd want a hat with a higher crown. Similarly, if you have a very rounded face, you would likely look better in hat with a higher crown. How high should the crown be? This is where a little basic research comes in. Go to a place that sells cheap hats, a place where you won't feel any pressure to buy - a grocery store, garden supply store, hardward store, etc. Take your tape measure - and preferably your spouse - with you. Select several hats that you think will look good on you. Try them on. Determine which looks the best given your facial features, then measure the crown height. This will give you a good idea of what crown height to look for in a quality hat. In my own case, I'm 6'3" and I don't like how low crown hats look on me. I've found that I look best in a hat with a crown height of 4 inches or a little more. Good luck.
I hope Deadpickle isn't still wrestling with this problem.

Duff

New in Town
Hey gents,

I realize that crown height is very much a matter of taste for everyone, but I've yet to figure what my preference is. So I started researching crown heights to see what would work best for me. However, whenever I searched for any reference points that I can use to try and figure out what crown height and brim width my first hat should be, I realized that there really weren't any.

Hence, I'm creating this thread as a reference for anyone who shares similar measurements to my own head size and height. You guys could also make a new post as a general reference for anyone, and just have a streamlined format of how to post.

I'm 5'6", my hat size is 7 (22"), and the distance between the middle of my forehead (~1 1/8" above my eyebrows) and my chin is ~7".

What I want is for all the members with similar head sizes to post pictures of themselves wearing their favorite hats, and to write down those hat measurements (crown, brim, and band), as well as their overall height (might help out a bit more).

I believe this will be a wonderful little reference thread with plenty of images to help anyone with a small head size, myself included.

Cheers

Hey gents,

I realize that crown height is very much a matter of taste for everyone, but I've yet to figure what my preference is. So I started researching crown heights to see what would work best for me. However, whenever I searched for any reference points that I can use to try and figure out what crown height and brim width my first hat should be, I realized that there really weren't any.

Hence, I'm creating this thread as a reference for anyone who shares similar measurements to my own head size and height. You guys could also make a new post as a general reference for anyone, and just have a streamlined format of how to post.

I'm 5'6", my hat size is 7 (22"), and the distance between the middle of my forehead (~1 1/8" above my eyebrows) and my chin is ~7".

What I want is for all the members with similar head sizes to post pictures of themselves wearing their favorite hats, and to write down those hat measurements (crown, brim, and band), as well as their overall height (might help out a bit more).

I believe this will be a wonderful little reference thread with plenty of images to help anyone with a small head size, myself included.

Cheers

That has already been done over the past several years. Now it's just a matter of accumulating the photos and data, sorting and presenting it in the format you're requesting. It's a worthwhile endeavor, too, as nary a nooby (except you, sir!) has considered that aspect properly. I would suggest using the "What Hat Are You Wearing today," or "Post New Hats Here" threads as starting points. The exercise will be helpful to your hat knowledge data base, AND therapeutic in developing your individual taste. Good luck!!

Duff

New in Town
That has already been done over the past several years. Now it's just a matter of accumulating the photos and data, sorting and presenting it in the format you're requesting. It's a worthwhile endeavor, too, as nary a nooby (except you, sir!) has considered that aspect properly. I would suggest using the "What Hat Are You Wearing today," or "Post New Hats Here" threads as starting points. The exercise will be helpful to your hat knowledge data base, AND therapeutic in developing your individual taste. Good luck!!

Thanks for the tips, @hatsRme

I'm still trying to figure out the site, and sadly I'm always on mobile, making things a little more difficult to navigate.

I'll try and post on "What Hats are Yiu Wearing Today?", and see if I get any response.

I think if we do a general thread for everyone, regardless of hat size and height, it'll still be a heck of a reference point for anyone wondering what hat proportions would suit them best.

Anyway, let's see if we can attract more members to post here ;)

P.S. Just to reiterate: hat sizes and crown heights are very much a matter of taste. We're just trying to make a reference point for members to see how different hats look on members that have similar head measurements/facial features.

Cheers

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just my two cents, but I've always thought that crown height had more to do with the person's physical height, whereas brim size is more related to head size, especially shape of the face, distance between the eyes, etc.

Welcome to the lounge, Duff. I don't think the scientific approach to what hat proportions will work or not for a particular person is the right one. As you state yourself: it's largely a matter of personal taste and there are more variables than a person's height and hat size, like weight and face type for example. These are named specifically in the old salesman instructions for selling hats. But the type of hat can equally be of influence. I'm a size 7 myself and 6 foot 1 and I find that there is a wide variety in the crown height and brim widths of the hats that I wear. Just try as many different hats as you can and see what works best for you and you may find that over time you can try, and like, different styles.

Duff

New in Town
Just my two cents, but I've always thought that crown height had more to do with the person's physical height, whereas brim size is more related to head size, especially shape of the face, distance between the eyes, etc.

You might very well be correct, which is why this thread will likely help members of similar sizes and facial features, myself included, figure out what looks good to their eyes and suits their tastes.

Duff

New in Town
Welcome to the lounge, Duff. I don't think the scientific approach to what hat proportions will work or not for a particular person is the right one. As you state yourself: it's largely a matter of personal taste and there are more variables than a person's height and hat size, like weight and face type for example. These are named specifically in the old salesman instructions for selling hats. But the type of hat can equally be of influence. I'm a size 7 myself and 6 foot 1 and I find that there is a wide variety in the crown height and brim widths of the hats that I wear. Just try as many different hats as you can and see what works best for you and you may find that over time you can try, and like, different styles.

Firstly, thank you for the welcome, I'm glad to be here :)

I completely agree. Again, this is meant to be a centralized reference point for people who share similar head sizes, and possibly similar heights.

Regarding what you said about different people with different weights, facial features, et cetera, this will still be a great reference point. If you see a person who shares similar features to yours post pictures and give their hat measurements, then that alone is worth having members post here.

I might find two members who post here, both have a lot of similarities to me, but both have wildly different tastes in hats. I feel like that's exactly what we need! This way I, or anyone sharing similar features/head size, can make a better guess as to what my/their first hat should be like.

This will also really help out anyone who doesn't have any stores around him/her that carry felt hats of any kind to try on.

I hope that helps clarify the purpose of this post a little more to anyone wondering.

Cheers

You’re ambitious, I’ll give you that. I could be wrong, but I think the data points will be so dispersed and random that it won’t be useful even as a starting point. I don’t think that meaningful patterns will appear. This is just my own anecdotal observation, but I’ll be surprised if it isn’t true.

I’m like many and wear hats that cover most of the spectrum: 1.75” stingy brims to 3.5” modified western brims. I also have some very modest crowns and some quite tall specimens. Totally different looks, but I wear them all and think I look good in them all (hence deadlyhandsome :) ). Add to that, my crown heights changes as I change the crease.

I like the scientific method as much as the next guy, but I just don’t think that you can easily get the data, and even if you did get it don’t think it will be useful. Knock yourself out, but reducing style and personal preferences to an algorithm is a dubious undertaking.

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I can understand the intent, but I too think it's a little conceptually flawed. I don't think there's necessarily a strong correlation between head size and crown height

Besides, if we're really being that exacting about it, what you would want is a series of photos against a blank background from a fixed distance. The variance in people's arms length selfies creates varying degrees of parallax distortion.

FWIW, I'm also 5'6" and size 7. If I were going to pick what I think the most flattering specs for a fedora, I'd crease a hat to about 4.5" or a bit less, with a brim between 2 1/4" - 2 1/2". But also, face shape (and no, not just the distance from forehead to chin) makes a difference.

Thanks for the tips, @hatsRme

I'm still trying to figure out the site, and sadly I'm always on mobile, making things a little more difficult to navigate.

I'll try and post on "What Hats are Yiu Wearing Today?", and see if I get any response.

I think if we do a general thread for everyone, regardless of hat size and height, it'll still be a heck of a reference point for anyone wondering what hat proportions would suit them best.

Anyway, let's see if we can attract more members to post here ;)

P.S. Just to reiterate: hat sizes and crown heights are very much a matter of taste. We're just trying to make a reference point for members to see how different hats look on members that have similar head measurements/facial features.

Cheers

Sure, we can generally benefit by more posters, but it will be much easier and faster for you to find already posted photos of what you’re looking for, many with the data you’re seeking already included. You can accumulate (copy/paste) whatever hat photos strike your fancy from the threads mentioned, (or others) and re-post in this thread, presented in a way meaningful to your point. If the specs aren’t included, reach out to the poster by “replying” to the specific post with your question.
It may seem unwieldy at first, but if a fossil like me can do it, my bets are you’ll be fine fast.

Just note the original date of a photo post. If much time has passed, and the original poster hasn’t been around in a while, don’t expect a reply.

Again, best of luck! I’m looking forward to see what you come up with.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What I have read in the past is the ideal crown height for your face is -you measure the distance from the bottom of your chin to the center of your eye. That should be the finished height Of your hat.
If you go over to “what hat are you wearing today” you can see what I mean.
Now brim width and crown taper. That’s a different story.
Johnny

Duff

New in Town
What the heck happened to my thread? Why was it merged with this one?

Also, for everyone who replied: thank you for your feedback, really, but I think you're all missing the point of what my now-gone thread was aimed at doing.

I wasn't trying to be scientific, I simply wanted a reference point for people to hopefully find others with similar measurements and see what they think would work best for them.

It's obviously all a matter of taste, that's something I've made very clear in all my posts. The point of measurements is knowing what kind of crown/bash height, brim width, etc, the wearer has in the photo of a guy who shares a lot of features/measurements to your own. Heck, the same guy could post two photos of wildly different hat styles, and it's at that point the viewer can make a better guess as to what he subjectively thinks will look better on him.

Anyway, as much as I would have loved to move forward with this, managing a merged thread that doesn't actually share the same intent as that of my original one is not something I care to do, especially not when the only device that I have to type and edit with is a phone.

Sorry gents, I tried.

Maybe if enough people, including the mods/whoever thought of merging my thread with this one, are on the same page, we can probably do this properly.

Until then,
Cheers

Last edited:

Also, for everyone who replied: thank you for your feedback, really, but I think you're all missing the point of what my now-gone thread was aimed at doing.

I wasn't trying to be scientific, I simply wanted a reference point for people to hopefully find others with similar measurements and see what they think would work best for them.

It's obviously all a matter of taste, that's something I've made very clear in all my posts. The point of measurements is knowing what kind of crown/bash height, brim width, etc, the wearer has in the photo of a guy who shares a lot of features/measurements to your own. Heck, the same guy could post two photos of wildly different hat styles, and it's at that point the viewer can make a better guess as to what he subjectively thinks will look better on him.

Anyway, as much as I would have loved to move forward with this, managing a merged thread that doesn't actually share the same intent as that of my original one is not something I care to do, especially not when the only device that I have to type and edit with is a phone.

Sorry gents, I tried.

Maybe if enough people, including the mods/whoever thought of merging my thread with this one, are on the same page, we can probably do this properly.

Until then,
Cheers

Yes, you tried. As did I!

The work you want has been ongoing since the Lounge first went live, way back. You seem to want more of the same, just organized and presented in a way that makes sense to you. REPEAT... the data is here, you just need to do the work to find what you like, accumulate and organize it to your liking. Most folks will answer your questions if they are here.

Even with all the now-dead photo links, there are plenty of great photos which include the specs. A lot of work has been done...

Sorry gents, I tried.

Until then,
Cheers

You would have to inquire of the Bartenders why your thread was merged. However, please be advised that this often happens in order to keep subject matter together into the best single point of reference.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Notwithstanding what I already said about why I think the effort is not as potentially useful as you do....

The more you look at hats, the easier it is to guess the specs on your own. The combinations aren't infinite. While guessing crown height is harder, brim width and ribbon are not. Especially if we're talking a modern hat, off the rack. The vast majority of modern Stetsons, for example, have the pre-creased crown at 4 1/2". Also, the same hat can be styled many different ways, so potentially, you might see a picture of a hat that could work for you with a little tweak here or there, even if it doesn't seem that way seeing it on somebody else's head.

Finally I'd be remiss myself if I didn't reiterate what was said in the thread yours was merged with: many folks here find their taste in hats changes over time. I myself started out buying stingies that I mostly don't wear anymore.

Duff

New in Town
@hatsRme @jlee562

I get what you're saying, but you have to keep a few things in mind:

1) I'm trying to start a new type of thread that not only helps me, but anyone new who shares basic measurements to my own.

2) I do not simply want to catalogue old photos. Think about how tedious and inefficient that would be: I'd have to comb through archives and scattered threads in hopes of finding pictures of people who actually mention any of the details I need when posting photos of themselves.

3) This point goes along with the previous one:
Even if someone mentions their hat size, and assuming it's a size 7 in this case, I'd have no way of knowing any of the other details unless I ask each person. Remember, knowing the distance between your chin and the middle of your forehead is a detail that's important, because a 5" crown won't look the same on a guy with a short face and another with a long one, but you might never know that simply by looking at two different photos of two different men.
You could really like a 5" crown on one of them, but that guy has face that 1" taller than yours, making that same hat look different on you. Again, we're trying to give the viewers important details to help them better make an educated guess as to what they should try out for their first hat.

4) My thread would have been a wonderful reference point to anyone who shares the same hat size/facial measurements/height as I do. We could have even made newer threads with a similar, streamlined format, like I previously suggested, where we make threads for people between X and Y hat sizes. We might even add some more details to the format, which could help.

5) Saying that there's a learning curve to guessing hat measurements or that people's tastes change has nothing to do with anything I'm trying to accomplish. My thread could only add to the community in a positive way, and it definitely wouldn't be redundant enough to merge with another thread like this one. Current and new members would post in that thread, creating a bigger and more centralized reference point that will help anyone who's looking or trying to figure out what might work for them at that particular point in time.

6) Tastes do change! The same people who may have visited my thread would now do so looking for something that suits them better this time around. It's not a one-time stop; you can revisit and look at different posts to find something new that works for your current/changing taste in hats.

7) Remember: not everyone has hat shops near by, or ones that carry the types of hats they'd like to try on, etc.
Sometimes, your only sources are ones you find online.

Gentlemen, the benefits of such threads far outweigh whatever negative points, if any, people might think of.

I can't seem to figure out how to find or contact the barkeeps about this, but if you guys think what I'm saying makes sense, let's try and communicate with a few of them and get this show on the road.

Thank you all for reading,
Duff

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana