Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuban Cigars

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
CigarMan said:
Club Humidor - we have 5 locations, I'm at Huebner Oaks

Okay, will definitely do next time I am over there. I get to SA 2-3 per year. Lately been riding my motorcycle there.

Cheers,

M8

Gee, what took me so long to find this thread?:eusa_doh:
Cuban cigars are an interesting conundrum. While they have a flavor that is indeed unique. Its not that unique. My friends can tell you that we have been through many, many boxes. My favorites change with what I get my hands on for comparison but I love Partagas culebras, 8-9-8s and Serie D No 4s, Por Larranaga Montecarlos, La Gloria Cuban Tainos, Montecristo No. 2s and Petit Edmundos to name just a few. The larger sizes are decent too.
What I have a problem with is the quality control. :eusa_doh: They have blemishes on the wrappers that you certinaly won't see on cigars from the other countries mentioned. Sun spots and other blemishes are particularly noticeable on the La Gloria Cubanas. Then there are the number of plugged cigars that get through as well. I usually draw poker the heck out of them but you have to do it several times over the course of a smoke and it will give you a headache! :eusa_doh: The plugged problems are, fortunately, not as common as the blemishes. Some of them have the same spongy problems that I have had with cigars from Honduras and the Dominican but on average the same number of both.
Now figuring in these already existing factors into the lifting of the embargo, it would be the death of the Cuban Puro really. They could not keep up with demand and that which they could produce would have even worse quality control problems. When I think about the Big companies like Altadis who already have a large stake in Habanos SA, the lifting of the embargo would likely mean that the cuban tobacco would end up being blended into their already existing brands in other countries. This would not be unprecedented as it was done before the embargo.
It is also the case with their current sugar supply. All domestic sugar is sold as fast as it can be harvested and the citizens have to deal with low rate sugar that is severely rationed. You have to ask for sugar at Cuban hotels and the manager is the only person with the key to deter theft. :eusa_doh:
There is no sugar on the tables as it is here.
In short, Altadis did not put up millions of dollars to buy an interest in Cuban tobacco to have it compete against itself. It would absorb it. There would likely be puros but they would be the quality of what a J. Piedra is now. :eek: :eusa_doh:

budrichard

Familiar Face
I grew up in a cigar smoking family and have smoked cigars since the 1960's. Most people don't know what a 'clear' Havana cigar was but if you go to Tampa and Ybor City you will see red defunct cigar factories converted into various guises but that is where the best cigars used to be made before the war of imported Cuban tobacco. As the now famous brands arose, more and more production shifted to Cuba but with the advent of the 'Beard' all that changed as the Cuban economy tried to wring out maximum profits out of its cigar industry. Even Davidoff, the long time supporter of the Cuban industry gave up trying and shifted its production to the DR. It took a while but now cigars surpassing what is currently available from Cuba are available. If you have never smoked any of the Padron line, then you are in for a treat. currently Padron's are the best cigar that you can purchase anywhere in the world. I won't go into aging, construction and draw but they are superb. I have met Jorge Padron at CRA events and he and his father are committed to producing world class cigars.
The 'Beard' will die and good riddance. I will not be running down to my local shop for any legal Cubans as I have had far too many substandard Cuban cigars over the decades. I really don't care what happens to the fight over who controls what brands. The Cubans did it to them selves when they Nationalized the cigar industry and now they have to suffer the consquences.
BTW I don't need any lectures on Cuban cigars etc from so called experts, just go to a gathering of expat makers and you will meet a group of individuals truly interested in providing the best cigar they can.-Dick

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Dick,

Please, could any of us have our own opinions? These sweeping generalities just won't do sir:

budrichard said:
BTW I don't need any lectures on Cuban cigars etc from so called experts,

This is a clever way of closing this topic. YOU have experienced bad Cuban Cigars, so therefore that is the truth. If anyone has experienced fine, or even transcendental cigars from factories in Havana, that is apparently of no consequence to you. You have determined with your "expert" abilities that Cuban cigars are lousy....

budrichard said:
The Cubans did it to them selves when they Nationalized the cigar industry and now they have to suffer the consquences.

Yep, all those people who had live in substandard conditions (and their children and grandchildren by now!) who had to go with the flow or be liquidated when Castro and his men overthrew the previous regime and took over all private property. THEY decided to nationalize. Boy, the average Cuban person must be a cretin to you, and deserve to live in squalor. They made their bed....

budrichard said:
just go to a gathering of expat makers and you will meet a group of individuals truly interested in providing the best cigar they can.-Dick
While I don't actually disagree with this statement, it's still points to your bias against Havana cigars. Yes, any maker worth his salt does endeavor to acquire and use the best materials available. What those materials end up being, and whether any person finds them appealing, is quite a matter of personal preference.

Thank you for your input though

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
budrichard said:
...If you have never smoked any of the Padron line, then you are in for a treat. currently Padron's are the best cigar that you can purchase anywhere in the world...

I have a humidor full of '64 and '26 Aniversario cigars by Padron, both natural and maduro. I disagree that they are better than my PSD4 cigars.

As for
...purchase anywhere in the world...
I can seldom find any Padron cigars outside of the US. Seems like the US market pretty much gobbles them up.

The issue I have with the habanos is that they are often sold too green, hence I have to age them at home.

Martinis at 8 said:
The issue I have with the habanos is that they are often sold too green, hence I have to age them at home.

They seem to sell them as fast as they make them so that accounts for the aging problem. The good thing is that it takes a while for them to get through the system and that makes someone else age them for a few months for you anyway. ;) :p

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
What brand and waht size was this for? Sounds a bit high to me---in general. [huh]

James I really do not know ..the "sticker shock" was a little too much for me ....lol

It was a Cuban and I was looking for a Pantera(I believe)...just wanted to have a simple smoke ....wow :eek:

Carlisle Blues said:
James I really do not know ..the "sticker shock" was a little too much for me ....lol

It was a Cuban and I was looking for a Pantera(I believe)...just wanted to have a simple smoke ....wow :eek:

Sounds like sticker shock to me. There are rather decent cuban cigars that should go for $8 each. That's how much my Partagas serie D No. 4s cost me. Then again, I do buy them by the box but it shouldn't make a 300% difference or so. :eek: :rolleyes:

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Sounds like sticker shock to me. There are rather decent cuban cigars that should go for $8 each. That's how much my Partagas serie D No. 4s cost me. Then again, I do buy them by the box but it shouldn't make a 300% difference or so. :eek: :rolleyes:

Thanks I knew I getting ripped off....Glad I didn't buy it. Who knows if it was the real thing anyway. :eusa_doh:

SSuperDave

New in Town
I just bought a box of Diplomatico #2 for $200, and a box of Ramon Allones torpedos for $180. $85 each for anything is far beyond reason!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Smoked a Hoyo de Monterrey Du Prince from 1998 tonight. Please don't look for any of these amigos. They are awful, I should have to smoke them all myself as penance....
;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR