Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuff link Q

Alon

One of the Regulars
I've noticed that many sets of cuff links come with 3 additional matching studs/buttons. What are these for? Relics of the days of detached collars?

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Alon said:
I've noticed that many sets of cuff links come with 3 additional matching studs/buttons. What are these for? Relics of the days of detached collars?

They are most probably shirt studs, to be used on dress shirt fronts in lieu of buttons. Larger sets might have collar studs included as well, but waistcoat buttons seems to me to be more usual.

A.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'm thinking that's for tuxedo shirts. My friend got a set like that with his rental when he was in a wedding party - cufflinks and studs. Most tux shirts can be buttoned using the normal buttons, or the studs to dress it up between the bowtie and the cumberbund.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
My Brooks Brothers dress shirt* has a rather nifty design whereby the buttons are removable from the shirt, stitched to a strip of fabric. Therefore, one can choose whether to wear studs or, if one does not have any, can use the white buttons.

(*NB. Dress shirt in English usage (as opposed to American English usage) refers to the type of white shirt worn with black tie or tails ensembles, not to an ordinary collared shirt that one might wear to work in an office.)

Josephine

One Too Many
Max Flash said:
My Brooks Brothers dress shirt* has a rather nifty design whereby the buttons are removable from the shirt, stitched to a strip of fabric. Therefore, one can choose whether to wear studs or, if one does not have any, can use the white buttons.

So does the one I got The Husband. I thought that was neat. :)

Alon

One of the Regulars
I asked because I found these beauts on eBay:

153238496_o.jpg

153238502_o.jpg

It's obviously old but I have no idea from when. Mother of pearl. Each of the studs has "British Make" on the back.

DerMann

Practically Family
Perfect for white tie. I really must get around to buying a set of MoP cufflinks and studs, as the ones I have are too dark (more of a grey).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot