Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuff Links. When ar they ok, and when are they "too much"?

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
When are cuff links ok to wear and when are they just "too much" or over kill?

What would you NOT wear cuff links with (besides the obvious jeans or long sleeved t-shirt)?

When would it be considered bad taste to not wear them?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have the rule that when I wear a suit I wear cufflinks, regardless of the occasion (subject to shirt availability of course). When I wear an odd jacket and trousers I wear a button cuff. That rule works for me.

The only time it is obligatory to wear cufflinks is with formalwear (black tie, white tie and morning dress). Other than that they are acceptable whenever it is acceptable to wear a suit, but seldom a neccessity.

in/y

One of the Regulars
I'm a librarian at the county community college & wear at least a shirt with a nice pair of trousers and tie to work everyday (a suit maybe once a week, or more if I feel like it).

I wear nothing but cuff links every day. The only exception is on the hottest days of the summer when I wear a white short sleeve dress shirt (and one of my late 50's/early 60's thin ties for that early mission control engineer look).

I've always felt well dressed with links but never felt overdone.

A lot I think has to do with the links you wear. Avoid the large and flashy links. Something simpler and on the smaller side can work in almost any situation.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I wear cuff links occasionally. I've got a collection from my late dad, ebay, and here and there, and I like the look of wearing them. I don't think they should be reserved for "formal" events.
I once saw the checker at the grocery store wearing very sedate cuff links, a young kid with style. There's hope for this country yet...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What would you NOT wear cuff links with (besides the obvious jeans ?
When I wear jeans, sportcoat and a French cuff shirt I'll use silk knot links.

516bURgvjcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

silk+knots.JPG

Edward

Bartender
I'm less inclined to wear them with jeans and an A2, but that aside, the only question I ask myself is "does the shirt take them?". If the answer is yes, they get worn. I tend to prefer goldtone for daywear and silvertone for post-6pm, as with all my jewellery. Affordable goldtones are a lot less common than silvertone nowadays, though - I suppose because most folks don't really care one way or the other about the old "6pm rule" anymore.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I think it depends... On a lot of things... For one, what KIND of cufflink? Danish modern? (Georg Jensen, Hans Hansen, etc.) Deco? (Guilloche) Whimsical?

Time of day is another consideration. Suit vs. SC another. For me, I'm headed towards a VERY streamlined cufflink collection. Primarily modernist, double-sided, primarily simple shapes. (That means I should have LOTS of pairs up for sale in classifieds shortly.)

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I think it depends... On a lot of things... For one, what KIND of cufflink? Danish modern? (Georg Jensen, Hans Hansen, etc.) Deco? (Guilloche) Whimsical?

Time of day is another consideration. Suit vs. SC another. For me, I'm headed towards a VERY streamlined cufflink collection. Primarily modernist, double-sided, primarily simple shapes. (That means I should have LOTS of pairs up for sale in classifieds shortly.)

So do you wear them with a sports coat?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I don't think there's ever a time when links are "too much" per say. It's really more a matter of whether the particular cufflinks are appropriate for an occasion and match the mood of what you're wearing. I don't do the whole jeans and sportscoat thing, but my cousin does a lot, he usually wears links and it looks good to my eye; although, I definitely get people's point regarding that.

For me, going "linkless" isn't an option since I always have my shirts made with tight futted french cuffs so that my sleeves don't ride up and reviel my tattoos. What I do is buy links with certain styles in mind. For when I'm in my "corporate finance guy" drag I wear very understated single-tone links (usually 20's - 30's snap links), but then, everything about the style if dress in that sector if corporate America us understated and conservative. When I'm dressing vintage for fun, the world is my oyster, although, I generally match eras (e.g. 50's links with a 50's suit).

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
It's all down to individual choice, but I wouldn't ever consider them "too much". Personally, I wear cufflinks everyday, and probably only have two or three shirts that are button cuff.

Danny O

leo

One of the Regulars
On a particularly groggy morning last year I went to work wearing a blue patterned shirt with fun cuff links. No tie, no jacket.

I later realized I liked this look of BCB ("business casual business"). It takes a standard U.S. business casual day and kicks it up a notch. I have repeated it occasionally with no ill effects ;-)

And now being more conscious of it, I have since seen this combination often in business settings in some parts of the world.

univibe88

One Too Many
Today I am wearing a navy suit, white shirt sans tie and links. I dig it.

I don't like to see people wearing links without a jacket. But for that matter I can hardly stand to see someone wearing a dress shirt without a jacket, regardless of cuff type.

leo

One of the Regulars
...for that matter I can hardly stand to see someone wearing a dress shirt without a jacket, regardless of cuff type.

We are all products of our local culture and upbringing. Dress shirt without jacket is the standard business attire in some close-to-the-Equator countries I've visited. I suspect there are more.

On one recent trip, I and my American colleagues were the ONLY persons attending meetings in suits. Not even a sport coat in sight, even in the air conditioning much less the streets. Dress shirts, mostly with ties, often with cuff links, were the standard. We all shed our jackets after a day or two.

In the Middle East, watch for nice cuff links peaking out from behind sleeves of thaubs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner