Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anthony Jordan said:
... and at least they are easier to store than shoes or hats...
I can attest that this is, indeed, true.

I purchased a little stud box that actually comes with some studs and links in it. The box is what I wanted but I'm curious to see what it holds.

Feraud

Bartender
AlanC said:
I purchased a little stud box that actually comes with some studs and links in it. The box is what I wanted but I'm curious to see what it holds.
Did you get the box? I am curious to see what it looks like.

Here is a pair of links I have not shown.
DSC04317.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wouldn't have thought so either, especially not with something like cufflinks, but somehow I manage to find it, and it's a pretty good conversation starter.

AlanC

Feraud said:
Did you get the box? I am curious to see what it looks like.

Yes! I had seen this kind of box on ebay some months back, was tempted, but never pulled the trigger. There's a local high end men's store that has a traveling vintage cufflink salesman come through a time or two a year. Her prices are out of this world expensive. Think really high, then double that and add some. I happened to stop in a few weeks back when they had some of her stuff on display (really gorgeous links). They had one or two of these boxes. I picked up to see the price and almost fell over. I think I may have blacked out briefly so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but she wanted either two or three hundred dollars for one. I knew then I needed to go ahead and get one (or two).

I paid about $12 each for these with shipping, and one even came from England. All the ones I see on ebay seem to be made in England. The leather on the 'Stud in Hand' one is really stunning. The 'Studs' one has a leather hing for the top that I don't think is going to make it much longer. I have original boxes for my studs, but these are great to hold snap links or silk knots.

p1012459eb8.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
I love that stud box Alan :eusa_clap :eusa_clap . Do you remember if the vintage link company was named the Antique Jewel Box Co.?
Marty Mathis

AlanC

Thank you, gentlemen.

Marty M. said:
Do you remember if the vintage link company was named the Antique Jewel Box Co.?

I honestly don't know. They do have very good taste in vintage links, but you could get equivalent links for 1/10 of the price on ebay. I guess their customers aren't the ebay crowd. The young lady who travels with the links is lovely, however.

JEEP

Practically Family
I haven't posted any of my findings for a while, but now I have finally gotten hold of a camera with a better makro function than my old one, so here goes:

Manchetknapper11.jpg

Late 30s or 40s - sterling silver. I really like these ones, I call the my "Daily Planet" cufflinks :)

Manchetknapper12.jpg

Not sure about the age, maybe 20s or 30s (any suggestions?) - sterling silver

Manchetknapper13.jpg

20s or 30s - sterling silver

Manchetknapper14.jpg

Again not sure about the age (suggestions are again very welcome) - golddouble silver

Manchetknapper15.jpg

Modern - silvered. I have been looking for cufflinks with a maritime theme for a while, I think these covers the theme in a quite a cool and balanced manner

Manchetknapper16.jpg

Not sure about the age here either, maybe 20s or 30s - golddouble with black enamel

I guess I am collecting cufflinks (and tiebars) now - I never meant to, it just sorta happened :)

7Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
I got these little beauties in the mail yesterday:

Manchetknapper17.jpg

20s or 30s - solid gold with mother-of-pearl and black- and silver enamel + engravings. I can't belive the price I got these for, but maybe they are too elaborate for the modern taste.

/Jakob

AlanC

^JEEP--those are fantastic! :eusa_clap (so how much did you pay?)

I also really like the sterling links in the post above, too. They have such a nice mellow patina to them. Great finds all.

JEEP

Practically Family

I paid D.Kr. 55, about $ 12 - at a Scandinavian auction site. No other bidders. I almost felt like a thief in the night :cool:

The vintage bug has not yet caught on in Denmark - especially not among men. So it is still possible to find good quality vintage mens jewellery (and watches - as long as it is a small/unknown brand) at extremely low prices.

In avarage I pay around D.Kr. 80 ($15.50) for a pair of vintage silver cufflinks and around D.Kr. 100 ($ 20.50) for a vintage silver tie-bar. Gold is only a bit more - and golddouble is, suprisingly, often less than silver.

Regards.

Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran