Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curling irons

urban doll

New in Town
I would just like to say that the hair setting methods are still used regularly today! Im black and black women still set their hair every night! pincurls and wraps everrryyyy night. relaxers evry few weeks, and keeping one style for the wholeeee week. but it is a little different, setting lotion isnt used really, some girls do, but not many. i personally jus wrap my hair or sleep really up straight so my hair doesnr get messed up lol.

but my question is, how do i get the waves, the long soft waves from the 40s. or any authentic non pincurl, style for hair (thats about armpit length i guess? lol) that can be achieved with curliing irons or rollers in a hair salon.
my prom is comming up and i need styles to show my hair dresser
recoomendations would be great !

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the lounge!

The long soft waves from the 40s came from pincurling the hair and then brushing, brushing, brushing!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
The majority of hairstyles that I've produced for photography have been done as a curling iron/hot roller set. I highly recommend using a heat activated curl setting spray. I follow the same pattern as a wet set.

Here's an example that I did using hot rollers:
47b8da25b3127cceb742a4ce7f6600000045109AbOXLFk0bS

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Alot of it really depends on the texture of your hair. I don't claim to be an ethnic hair pro, but did work in a multi-cultural salon, so I have some experience. Some ethnic hair can be set with curling irons and brushed into waves, some needs to be set with rollers and dried under a bonnet dryer. Take a look through the vintage hair community at live journal (http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/ ), there are a couple African American girls there who are doing great things with their hair.

I saw a tutorial on You Tube where the stylist used a curling iron to form a ringlet & then pinned it into a pincurl & set it with hairspray. When the hair was brushed out it formed the kind of wave you're after. Alas, I have no idea where that tutorial will be now though. I'm so helpful!

Oh no, I just watched it again & his end result is pretty lame! I think if they're done right then you'll get the wave using the curling iron though. My hair isn't long enough to try it on properly but I've had some near waves in the past lol

I swear by the curling irons though for all my hair needs.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I use a curling iron in the method dollydaydream just mentioned (curl, then roll into pincurl) and luckily more often than not, the results are far from lame (unless I have something important to go to, then my hair just does the opposite of what I want :rage: ) and I believed it was a tried and true method... until I tried it on some of my friends and the curl just fell right out of their hair no matter how long I left it pinned, or how much spray/setting lotion I used. I don't think there's any hair curling method that works for everyone. The only advice I can give is to try every method of achieving a curl or wave - tongs, perm rods, a wet pincurl set etc. and see which one works for you. It's really just a case of trial and error, and with a bit of practice you'll be styling like a pro in no time ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My hair is naturally very straight and smooth. I use hair gel on the hair around my face and elastic hair paste (by Paul Mitchell) along the hairline to force it back, since it grows forward. After my hair is dry, I just use a curling iron. I curl my hair under or towards my face at the top, and back at the bottom front.

Lolly B

New in Town
Believe it or not, sometimes I can get my hair to cooperate and give me lovely waves with just the Caruso Curlers. But I have to leave them in for about half and hour then let my hair cool completely after I take them out.

Otherwise, after I wash it I towel dry it (meaning I put a towel on for as long as I can stand it) then I roll it up on the hard plastic rollers and sit under the dryer. Sometimes I put sponge rollers in after I take the plastic rollers out to sleep in, other times not, just a silk sleep cap. I find with my hair (I think it is type 3b-3c) it will keep a curl pretty good, but only if I set it properly.

I have only pin curled my hair while it was dry. I think I would get too much of a poodle if I did it wet or damp. lol And I got great curls or maybe too much curl when it was shorter. Now that it is just past my shoulders pin curls work out nicely. When I have the patience to put them in, that is.

The curling wand would probably work (if I had one with a small barrel) but I am avoiding that much direct dry heat so I can grow it out. I use my 1-1/4" curling wand occasionally (using towards time for my relaxer touch up) to smooth things out (ditto with the flat iron). Then I use the Caruso curlers or sleep in the sponge rollers.

hth!

JazzBaby said:
I use a curling iron in the method dollydaydream just mentioned (curl, then roll into pincurl) and luckily more often than not, the results are far from lame (unless I have something important to go to, then my hair just does the opposite of what I want :rage: )

That is so true!! The days when I'm just bumming around my hair goes great, then if I have to actually look good, it takes ages to get an ok-ish do!!!

I don't know what happened with the guys pincurls, I liked the way he did it because it looked so easy, but when he took them out they just went really flat. He didnt use setting lotion, just hairspray & it looked like he just put too much of the spray on.

I have to agree, just try every method you can! The rollers gave me a mega poodle, I just use curling irons at the moment but at some point I will give pin curls a go (when I have 3 days free lol)

JazzBaby

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
That is so true!! The days when I'm just bumming around my hair goes great, then if I have to actually look good, it takes ages to get an ok-ish do!!!

This is all part of a theory I'm developing: hair only exists to p*** you off! lol

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
since we're talking curling irons here, I have a question:

I found an old marcel waver (plug in, 2 prong) for a STEAL at an antique store but I was afraid to buy it for fear that it would burn, crisp, and sizzle my hair to no end (pardon the pun). I'm assuming it was wise to pass up a REAL MARCEL WAVER in its original packaging to keep my hair safe....? (mostly looking for reassurance or "WHAT, GIRL! YOU SHOULD'VE BOUGHT IT!!!"

:) merci.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou