Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curls looks best when hair is oily?! Help!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Hello all,

Sorry if anyone's posted about this before, did a bit of searching but this is quite a specific question.

Normally I wash and set my hair every three days. This time I've been particularly lucky (a combination of not having to go out and lots of pinning up), and I've now gone 5 days without washing my hair. My roots are now looking pretty lank, but my curls look the best I think they've ever been- smooth, soft, bouncy etc.

I want to ask, do you think this means I should be using some sort of taming product on my hair after unrolling? Cause if my curls look best when the rest of my hair is so oily, maybe they are in need of oils/moisture? Has anyone else had this problem?

I know pomade is an old-fashioned solution to frizz etc but my hair is very fine, and normally oily (or it used to be very oily before I started setting), and I'd be worried about using such a heavy product, I have enough trouble getting my hair to curl anyway so I don't want to make it drop out with a product.

Hope someone can help! :)

HarlowQueen

New in Town
You could try a frizz easing serum. I normally just use the old Murray's pomade, but I'm rather lucky and have terribly thick hair (Which is also = lots of frizz)

A serum will be a lot lighter and will also kind of add the "oily" texture without weighing it down too much. I say use a few drops in the palms of your hands sparingly and then rub hands together and run through the curls, twisting them as you go to keep definition and evenly coat the curls.

I hope you figure something out, love. Good luck!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And brush!
I think the oil that is there gets distributed to the ends and makes your hair nicer, when you don't wash as much. And that's Natures hair conditioner.
I used to have very long hair, to my hips, and it is super dry. I only washed it every two weeks, but brushed it feverishly. I rotated brushes too so they were clean once in a while.
I have also seen descriptions in vintage beauty books that say you should brush a lot, wipe the brush of on a towel, and brush again. Sounds like a lot of work.
Also they say that a dry shampoo could be done by putting hair tonic on, and brushing it out with little strips of muslin stuck through the bristles to wipe down the hair. Who has time?
I found that the non frizz serums also took the natural curl out of my hair. But if your curls are very tight, that could be a good thing.

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
I can't really answer your question, but my best sets always seem to work out best on day 2 or 3 after washing. I have tried many serums ect. on clean hair to get a better first day set but nothing seems to fake it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn