Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current Performers in the Vintage Fashion

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Vince Giordano and his Nighthawks -- with meticulous recreations of the early-to-mid-thirties hotel dance band experience. If you saw "The Aviator," you saw the 'Hawks doing a rousing and impeccably authentic version of "Happy Feet," and they've also done jaunty film scores for various silent comedies -- their score for "Sherlock Jr.," done for AMC back in the mid-90s, far surpasses the sorry modernistic thing that ended up on the video release of that wonderful film. They've also had a number of excellent CD releases that belong on every dance-band enthusiast's shelf.

Vince himself is also a highly-respected researcher of vintage-era music, who once worked in the vaults at BMG -- current rightsholder for the Victor archives -- and is one of the most knowledgeable people in the country on the recordings of the period. His band really reflects that committment.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Vince Giordano

I've heard his band several times. When he was a kid he discovered that Bill Challis, the arranger with Paul Whiteman, was still living on Long Island. Vince really became his protege, and learned a lot from him. I don't recall the whole story, but I think he really absorbed the whole feeling of that era's music.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Anybody have any more suggestions?

I'm just venturing into the world of new music done in the spirit of 20s/30s music. To be honest, I was never really impressed with what I heard so I just ignored the whole genre.

Right now I am totally SMITTEN with Janet Klein! Again, I've heard of her since the early 2000s, but never seemed to take the time out to listen to her until (literally) last week.

I need more stuff to go in my iPod....

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Reverend Horton Heat, (Rockabilly/country)
Atomic Fireballs, (Jump Blues *think Louis Jordan with a hell-raisin voice()
Michael Buble. (he is one of the ONLY ones who can do Sinatra right! :eusa_clap )

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I'm a big fan of Matt Dusk. IMHO - he's more swaggering Sinatra than Buble.

www.mattdusk.com

But I am a bigger fan of John Pizzarelli, who's dad is jazz guitar legend Bucky Pizzarelli. John and his wife, singer Jessica Molaskey are the "Nick & Nora" of jazz. John's CDs have paid tribute to Johnny Mercer, Sinatra, Nat Cole. He also is one swanky guy in the clothes department. And talk about live - he tells great stories about the music or people he watched work while his dad performed or recorded.

John and Jess do an old fashioned jazz radio show called "Radio Deluxe." You can hear it on various radio stations or listen online at www.johnpizzarelli.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy