Current US-Made 22oz and up Selvage Jeans Availability?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by ES335, Jun 18, 2021.

1. ES335

ES335 New in Town

... Aside from Iron Heart. Thanks!

2. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I would check out Brave Star.

3. ES335

ES335 New in Town

Thanks El Marro, I have and should've mentioned that. Great quality but I'm looking for US made alternatives that aren't $400. and up. If I do find them, like Unbranded, they only seem to have two or three sizes and that's it.

El Marro likes this.
  4. Pandemic

Pandemic Practically Family

Bravestar, Gustin and Ciano Farmer.

Jin431 and ES335 like this.
  5. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Jin431, ES335, ton312 and 1 other person like this.
  6. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Freenote makes a 25oz, but only in black at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Jin431 and ES335 like this.
  7. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

All of my Gustin jeans have been well made, although I have read a lot of complaints regarding poor stitching and QC issues over the years.
    In any case, they are not offering anything super heavy at the moment but I’m sure they will when fall comes around.

ES335 likes this.
  8. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

I got a pair of their heavy duck. The measures 3” narrower in the waist than advertised. When i told them they said approx “these must have come in narrower than our sample run.” In my head i’m all “you didnt check?”

ES335 likes this.
  9. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

That’s lame, and a pretty lame excuse to boot.

ES335 likes this.
  10. breezer

breezer Practically Family

always wondered about the wearability of heavy denim.......not sure I understand the appeal?

11. ES335

ES335 New in Town

It's just personal preference I suppose. They're not the best choice for summer wear here in the US Mid Atlantic, and there is definitely a bit of a fight during break in. But I love the weight, fades and texture. I'm hoping more manufacturers will offer my size (32") with cooler weather on the way. Cheers, breezer.

12. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

Funny, I thought the whole Selvidge Jeans fad was "deader than Disco". I guess not.

Worf

navetsea likes this.
  13. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

My IH 21oz broke in soft as sweats. It has been suggested that they are a looser weave and therefore breath better. For me, i wear the heavy stuff when its cold out. It does feel warmer. Break in time is nominally longer than say 14oz

ES335 likes this.
  14. ES335

ES335 New in Town

Bfd70 yeah that was my experience with Bravestar's 21.5's, and their 18oz pair that arrived yesterday are softening up by the hour with beautiful color. Sticker shock scares me away from IH, but I'm glad your happy with yours!

15. Jules Myers

Jules Myers Familiar Face

Disco is dead?

16. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't understand it either. I've owned heavy jeans and I grew out of that phase pretty quickly. They're not as comfortable, they are not actually more durable as many people like to claim, they fade weird, and they rarely have good subtle character in the fabric.

I still to more repro-oriented, classic style jeans in 11-15oz.

Edward, ES335 and Mich486 like this.
  17. Pandemic

Pandemic Practically Family

As mentioned above, weight is only one factor (along with weave and fabric, etc). Just like you can have a stiff 2oz leather jacket or a buttery soft 4oz.

That said, for me the sweet spot is between 14 and 18oz with a more relaxed weave that leaves them soft and not starchy at all.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    ES335 likes this.
  18. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Fully agree with this. 12.5oz unsanforized denim is where is at for me.

Not sure vintage fabrics ever exceeded 14oz so anything above that it is a product of the 2010’s raw denim fad in my eyes. There are interesting modern fabrics don’t get me wrong but they hardly look anything like vintage Levi’s or Lee jeans from the 40s/50s/60s if that’s the thing one is after.

ES335, bn1966 and dudewuttheheck like this.
  19. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

Exactly. My ideal weight is around 11-12oz. Not everyone is into old school jeans like me, but I tried the slim fit, tapered, heavy jeans thing and I definitely am not into that anymore. To me, jeans are just part of the outfit, not a focal point.

Jin431 and Mich486 like this.
  20. ES335

ES335 New in Town

Thanks fellas, I appreciate your opinions. Keep 'em coming. I just love the heft of heavyweight denim. It's just my personal preference after many decades of mall jeans/Levis- not they they don't have their place...