Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current USAF Issue A-2s

Monsoon

A-List Customer
You obviously don't live around here! All the ground bound NORAD and other high tech service member personnel wear them.

Yeah, no surprise there. I was actually referring to former fliers. I don't think many, if any, still wear theirs after they are off flying status but still on AD. My friend got a commission and is now an Intel Captain. I told her about it and she was like, "wha? I'm not gonna wear mine!"

Deacon211

One Too Many
I've noticed that in airports, many pilots now wearing "A-2"s. I say in quotes as they are based on the A-2 design, but are mostly all black and have elastic waistlines. I get that many of those cats are likely more comfy in that, but come on - if I were a pilot, I'd get JC to make me a kickass (black if it's required) A-2 and rock the crap outta that auto-pilot! :)

Airline pilots have their own company uniform regs and so are actually pretty restricted on what jacket they can wear...if any at all.

American has IMO the closest to an A-2 type jacket, with some modifications. But, were you an AA pilot, you couldn't wear some other type of flying jacket instead.

Many other airlines go for Peroni flying jackets. These are generally black with snap cuffs and leather waistband. I had one and loathed it. I looked like a cross between Tony Soprano and a motorcycle cop. It was cut for fat pilots, so it fit like a black cowhide garbage bag.

I would have much preferred a nice civilianized A-2. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what manufactures that one is? Side entry pockets but looks a good quality leather so not a Cockpit. Avirex?
It kind of resembles my Dakota Outerwear jacket, which was made by Taylors Leatherwear, although maybe it's not. My point is that although everyone assumes that 100% of military leather jackets are made by one firm, I've read on a forum filled with military people that the supply chain is often unreliable with leather jackets and one USAF unit ordered jackets from Dakota (several years back) because the supply chain wasn't delivering the official A2s. Also, we know from some of our members here that many G1 jackets worn by Navy flyers are sourced from civilian sources. And I've posted a photo earlier in this thread of a senior USAF officer wearing what is obviously a civilian sourced A2. In other words, higher up the food chain, it's possible even likely that jackets are from several different companies.

Last edited:

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
It kind of resembles my Dakota Outerwear jacket, which was made by Taylors Leatherwear, although maybe it's not. My point is that although everyone assumes that 100% of military leather jackets are made by one firm, I've read on a forum filled with military people that the supply chain is often unreliable with leather jackets and one USAF unit ordered jackets from Dakota (several years back) because the supply chain wasn't delivering the official A2s. Also, we know from some of our members here that many G1 jackets worn by Navy flyers are sourced from civilian sources. And I've posted a photo earlier in this thread of a senior USAF officer wearing what is obviously a civilian sourced A2. In other words, higher up the food chain, it's possible even likely that jackets are from several different companies.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your reply. Makes total sense. Re the G1s US Wings claim they ere the only official suppliers to the USCG but from what i gather the USCG gets their G1s from the normal chain and US Wings only supplies them when they are short in supply? Has anyone else heard of this. Considering their jackets are different spec to the issue ones not sure re US Wings claim about them being official?

Deacon211

One Too Many
I think the USW CG jackets are open purchase items. They are not issued at P-cola as all those are from the same supply chain and all have USN stamped into them no matter who gets it.

I think the CG spends a little discretionary cash to get better quality G-1s for its aircrews. As such, it purchases from an outside vendor.

From some pics I've seen, the Blue Angels wear special order jackets themselves. Their's are from Gibson and Barnes probably since they are about 50mi from El Centro where the Blues winter.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
I think the USW CG jackets are open purchase items. They are not issued at P-cola as all those are from the same supply chain and all have USN stamped into them no matter who gets it.

I think the CG spends a little discretionary cash to get better quality G-1s for its aircrews. As such, it purchases from an outside vendor.

From some pics I've seen, the Blue Angels wear special order jackets themselves. Their's are from Gibson and Barnes probably since they are about 50mi from El Centro where the Blues winter.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Yet again many thanks for your reply. What is open purchase please? Here in the UK we have LPO Local purchase order. In a case when the supply chain runs out and items which can be bought outside the chain are bought as one offs. Mainly with watches in my experience. Same watch but no serial number on the back.Is that sort of open purchase? So are the USCG issued standard USN G1s from Excelled or do they get the US Wings ones instead to start with. ? Or like i mentioned if supply low they buy from US Wings? I have seen them wearing the US Wings ones.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yet again many thanks for your reply. What is open purchase please? Here in the UK we have LPO Local purchase order. In a case when the supply chain runs out and items which can be bought outside the chain are bought as one offs. Mainly with watches in my experience. Same watch but no serial number on the back.Is that sort of open purchase? So are the USCG issued standard USN G1s from Excelled or do they get the US Wings ones instead to start with. ? Or like i mentioned if supply low they buy from US Wings? I have seen them wearing the US Wings ones.

Well, truly it's mostly guesswork how it works in this particular case. But, for instance in my reserve squadron we bought BOSE headsets for each pilot. These are not in the supply system, though other headsets undoubtedly are.

I think watches are another excellent example. These are specialty items, for instance for divers, so there is no mass production line.

I believe that Coasties are offered jackets in initial gear issue in Pensacola. In my day, we had a choice of the leather or the Nomex. We'd get the other sometime down the road in the squadron.

I suspect that the individual squadrons though, purchase the USW jackets on their own. Then, if the pilot got the leather at Pensacola or if he decided to turn his in once he was out in the fleet, he could get a little nicer CG specific jacket.

It could actually work a dozen different ways, providing USW is telling the truth and not using some clever "mil-spec" exactly like issue language. But, with as small as the CG is, I don't doubt they get a little better gear for their own people as a morale booster.

By the same token, I think the Blues (who already have jackets) get a Blue Angel specific jacket to wear while they serve with the squadron. This way everyone has a nice, neatly sewn, standard looking jacket for the public.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Well, truly it's mostly guesswork how it works in this particular case. But, for instance in my reserve squadron we bought BOSE headsets for each pilot. These are not in the supply system, though other headsets undoubtedly are.

I think watches are another excellent example. These are specialty items, for instance for divers, so there is no mass production line.

I believe that Coasties are offered jackets in initial gear issue in Pensacola. In my day, we had a choice of the leather or the Nomex. We'd get the other sometime down the road in the squadron.

I suspect that the individual squadrons though, purchase the USW jackets on their own. Then, if the pilot got the leather at Pensacola or if he decided to turn his in once he was out in the fleet, he could get a little nicer CG specific jacket.

It could actually work a dozen different ways, providing USW is telling the truth and not using some clever "mil-spec" exactly like issue language. But, with as small as the CG is, I don't doubt they get a little better gear for their own people as a morale booster.

By the same token, I think the Blues (who already have jackets) get a Blue Angel specific jacket to wear while they serve with the squadron. This way everyone has a nice, neatly sewn, standard looking jacket for the public.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Yet again grateful for the very informative answer. Here in the UK we got sometimes the aircrew Seiko generation 2 watches directly from a local Seiko dealer if the supply chain was short. Even with no Nato stock numbers and serial numbers they were still "issued" items.
Must admit USW claims a lot so i am very dubious re their "exclusive supplier" to the USCG. As we all know their mil spec does not match the current mil spec!
Just out of interest how does the USW G1 sizing match the current issue Excelled ones?

Peacoat

Bartender
Peter 1956: There is no need to quote a poster and then place another post to make your reply. Simply click on the "Reply" button and type your response under the quoted material. Much simpler and easier (for both you and the reader) to do.

The G-1 sizing depends on the contract. Generally I think the current Excelled is sized a bit larger than the vintage series. As Doc says there has been discussion on this before, and there are a lot of G-1 threads over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner