Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current USAF Issue A-2s

Marv

A-List Customer
Here are a few pics of my Cooper A2 (Orange label), not sure of the year of manufacture but because of it's spec and use of hardware etc. I think it's probably from the late 80's.

It's patched up as 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, 8th Airforce.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
USAF website - rules for wearing A2. Maybe someone currently serving can explain what it all means lol

flight_jacket_2.png

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
USAF website - rules for wearing A2. Maybe someone currently serving can explain what it all means lol

flight_jacket_2.png

FDU, is Flight Duty Uniform. DFDU is Desert Flight Duty Uniform. this is generally, the Nomex flight suit. Aviation badge would be pilot or air crew wings, and parachutist service aeronautical rating, would be self explanatory!

Monsoon

A-List Customer

flight_jacket_2.png

Aircrew are authorized A2s as soon as they have their AO (aeronautical order) regardless if they've finished training or not. For enlisted guys, that AO also gives them their wings. You get your AO and can be taken off flying status for whatever reason, you'll still keep your wings.

Space weenies have to finish their training and be certified before they get the jackets.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Aircrew are authorized A2s as soon as they have their AO (aeronautical order) regardless if they've finished training or not. For enlisted guys, that AO also gives them their wings. You get your AO and can be taken off flying status for whatever reason, you'll still keep your wings.
That allowance seems kinds of daft. If I was in and had the choice I'd never wear leather unless I was actual on-the-job aircrew or retired from it.
Space weenies have to finish their training and be certified before they get the jackets.
I have no idea what the USAF has to do with space - surveilance satellites?

Monsoon

A-List Customer
That allowance seems kinds of daft. If I was in and had the choice I'd never wear leather unless I was actual on-the-job aircrew or retired from it.

I have no idea what the USAF has to do with space - surveilance satellites?

Most guys are with you. They don't wear A2s unless they are on flight status. And the AF has a huge portion of the Space Surveillance gig. Google "ISR".

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Most guys are with you. They don't wear A2s unless they are on flight status. And the AF has a huge portion of the Space Surveillance gig. Google "ISR".
You obviously don't live around here! All the ground bound NORAD and other high tech service member personnel wear them.

I've noticed that in airports, many pilots now wearing "A-2"s. I say in quotes as they are based on the A-2 design, but are mostly all black and have elastic waistlines. I get that many of those cats are likely more comfy in that, but come on - if I were a pilot, I'd get JC to make me a kickass (black if it's required) A-2 and rock the crap outta that auto-pilot! :)

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I wasn't issued my A-2 until I finished Mission Qual Training in the F-16. It was considered a bit of a rite of passage. Certainly not as soon as I got my AO.

Yeah, same here. Seems like according to the reg you can give the dude a jacket when he gets the AO, but I seriously doubt any squadron does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner