Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current USAF Issue A-2s

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Blackadder said:
They now have slit pockets as well like the civilians A-2s?
I don't believe it's mentioned in the spec document, but from photos it's clear that the current A-2 jackets have handwarmer pockets behind the main patch pockets. This seems to take two forms:

(1) side seam of patch pockets is left unsewn to allow hands to enter

pocket1.jpg

(2) an extra slit is added for a separate handwarmer pocket

pocket2b.jpg

I get the feeling that the USAF wants these jackets to conform only to a general standard and isn't worried about a rigorous standard or what might be considered minor details, so they don't fuss about the pockets. But I don't know.

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
My very first A2 (which I still have) is a commercial Orange label Cooper, not sure from what year it was manufactured but it has all the same features as the issued Saddlery version.

Excellent goatskin, purple hue knits, Ideal zipper, one piece arms, no under arm gussets, no hand warmer or inside pocket, large collar and as it is a 46 Long, it has the extra side panel on each side of the torso.

The label is the Orange commercial version with Defense Contract Department but still an excellent, well made jacket and would great if I could find out the manufacture year as I'm not sure whether this is on the label anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated....

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Marv said:
The label is the Orange commercial version with Defense Contract Department but still an excellent, well made jacket and would great if I could find out the manufacture year as I'm not sure whether this is on the label anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated....
Did you read this thread in its entirety? I think Atticus Finch mentions the tags and how to interpret the date. There should be a large white tag underneath the woven orange Cooper brand tag. There should be two groups of letters and numbers separated by hyphens. Let us know what those read and someone here should be able to help. There are some old Cooper jackets which don't have that tag -- I have one of those jackets -- but they seem to be rare. Most likely you have one with the full tags.

Marv

A-List Customer
Did you read this thread in its entirety? I think Atticus Finch mentions the tags and how to interpret the date. There should be a large white tag underneath the woven orange Cooper brand tag. There should be two groups of letters and numbers separated by hyphens. Let us know what those read and someone here should be able to help. There are some old Cooper jackets which don't have that tag -- I have one of those jackets -- but they seem to be rare. Most likely you have one with the full tags.

Here's photo of the white spec label but the numbers aren't very clear due to the stitching running through them but any idea's on the jacket's year or manufacture would be great....

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I didn't say so, but my post about dating military jackets via their DA, DSA, DLA or SPO numbers is applicable to issued military jackets, only. I don't think one can date a civilian Cooper A-2 using its "GAC" number. I believe this is just a number created by Cooper to make the tag appear "authentic"...and the same number appears on Cooper tags regardless of when the jacket was manufactured.

AF

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
... Definitely confirms that these are much looser a fit by design than the original A2; whereas I'm a 44 in most original fits (I can fit a 42 for the later warf contracts, boxier shape), for these I'd have to size down to a 40 to be hapy in them. I suspect this is reflective of the modern jackets beinbg likely to be worn over a bulky flight-suit rather than a collar and tie?
Although the official document doesn't mention them, there are bound to be some +/- variation or tolerances for measurements. But I know what you mean: I would need to downsize too.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Reminds me of the leather typically found in a '76 Imperial Leather G-1. Hardcore cow. Sometimes late at night, if you listen closely, you can hear it "moo".

AF

:eusa_clap :D Must have shared a field with a meadow fed Suffolk Punch.
A ful tank of rich cream milk or grass from those green green fields produce the finest leathers for our jackets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner