Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Aero halfbelt

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So, some of you may remember the saga last year of the long awaited Aero halfbelt. Without rehashing that story, suffice to say I've had this jacket for almost a year, and shame on me for not posting pics sooner. This is my third Aero, and the one I am happiest with, not just because it turned out so perfect, but because it feels so like "my jacket".
Here are the details:
50's halfbelt in mid weight jerky seal brown horsehide. Cotton drill lining with 2 interior pockets. A2 style outer pockets, and no upper breast pocket. Size 38, with 1 inch added to the sleeves.
This really has been my "go to" jacket this last year. It fits me perfect, I love the way it looks, and it is comfortable in a wide range of temperatures.
My first Aero was an A2 that never was a very good fit, so I sold it. But it was the same seal brown, which is why I wanted this one in seal, because I liked the hide so much. The second is my FQHH Barnstormer, which I still have, and pics are lurking around the forum. I really like it, but tend to wear it only in very cold months. It's big and bulky, heavy, and harder to get on and off with the belt and buttons. Anyway, without further ado here are some pics. Body shots will be forthcoming, I just need to take some good ones.

halfbelt1.jpg

halfbelt2.jpg

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Nice jacket! I have become a fan of the Halfbelt due to the many pictures posted on the Lounge. And I, too, like the seal jerky hide. Someday, I would like to acquire one...

But first, I would like to obtain a Barnstormer. I had seen your pictures many months ago, which was one of the reasons I have wanted one. If I may ask, you say that your Halfbelt is a size 38. Is your Barnstormer the same size? Although my chest is 38", Will recommended I go down a size to a 36 for a trimmer fit.

Thanks,
Philalethes

Edward

Bartender
Good looking jacket. Was the brief to create an Aero version of the Indiana Jones jacket? It's very much in that mould. (TBH, I've always been vaguely surprised that Aero don't have an Indy in their range; maybe just not the demand for it, or possibly most Indy fans want something with a lower pricetag, like the Wested, if it's only for costume use as opposed to something they'll wear a lot?).

blethook

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket, but I can tell it hasn't seen much wear time at all... :)

My one-month old Deluxe Halfbelt in jerky seal MW HH has much more wear & tear than yours...

Like you, I too really like the Aero jerky seal MW HH. I think it is arguably their best MW HH.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Thank you all for your kind comments.
My chest is 38 relaxed, 40 inhaled. I normally wear a size 40 suit (American sizing). This jacket fits pretty much like a size 40 suit. I have enough room to wear a regular button down shirt, and a thermal shirt or tight knit sweater on cold days.
My Barnstormer is a 40, and is roomy enough to layer some heavier clothing underneath, but not terribly oversized.
Yes, the idea was to design a jacket similar in look and feel as an Indy jacket (I used to own a Wested) made of Aero's VERY SUPERIOR leather. I didn't want something identical, and I like that this jacket is unique.
Although I've worn the jacket a lot over the last year, it's never been subject to heavy wear and tear, just around town. Hopefully I can get it in the wind the next few months on a motorcycle, to wear it in a little more.
Again, hopefully I can get some pics of me in it to show off the fit.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Do you have any shots of the lining? What style interior pockets? Are the sleeves storm sleeves? I really like your jacket.

Last edited:

1911 Man

A-List Customer
So, I know it's been a while. I've got some new shots of the halfbelt actually being worn. This jacket did spend some time this summer being worn on a motorcycle, and it still doesn't look broken in! I might need to wear it a little harder.

I know I look a little uncomfortable in this pic, but I was sitting on a rock.
And yes, those are Wested Indy pants I'm wearing
IMG_6308.jpg

2 pics of me and Mrs 1911
IMG_6305.jpg

IMG_6304.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's a better looking jacket than any Indy I've seen - an improvement IMO - half belt and no wind flap. Cool stuff. The thing about an Indy Raider's jacket (I own 2) is that they are meant to have the qualities of a denim jacket, floppy, light leather. Even the Gibson and Barnes version is too well made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24